Hey there!

Puncey

Hey there!

Prediabetic teenager here (I'm 16).

I had irregular period (and I still do which I am not very happy about) so I went to the doctor where I had to do blood tests. I did and she told me I had prediabetes. I had been working hard on going back to normal - I go swimming for an hour every Monday,Wednesday and Saturday and I also ride a skateboard (which I had been riding long before the diagnosis)

So far, I've lost 9 kg (18 pounds) - I used to be 81kg (178 pounds) and now I'm 72kg (160 pounds).

I really hope I have reversed the diagnosis! But if I haven't...well, I guess it's not the end of the world!

I really look forward to meeting all of you! :)

Have a great day!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey there!

I had irregular period (and I still do which I am not very happy about) so I went to the doctor where I had to do blood tests. I did and she told me I had prediabetes. I had been working hard on going back to normal - I go swimming for an hour every Monday,Wednesday and Saturday and I also ride a skateboard (which I had been riding long before the diagnosis)

So far, I've lost 9 kg (18 pounds) - I used to be 81kg (178 pounds) and now I'm 72kg (160 pounds).

I really hope I have reversed the diagnosis! But if I haven't...well, I guess it's not the end of the world!

Have a great day!
Hi Puncey,

Did they say anything about the irregular periods possible cause? It's a bit early for you to be prediabetic, but if it's caused by PCOS, it could happen... I know when I had my Periods from Hell (Bled out every 2 weeks, just about), I was 11, and my GP didn't bother to check whether everything was alright with my ovaries. I suspect he was uncomfortable doing intimate exams on someone my age. He just put me on the pill to keep me regular, and gave me iron supplements for the anemia. Didn't find out until almost 2 decades later that I had an ovarian cyst, and then my locum OB/GYN neglected to mention I was prediabetic because of that to boot. If I'd known, I never would've let it get to T2. You can get tested for PCOS by getting an ultrasound done, and maybe some blood tests to check whether your hormones (male and female) are balanced. If PCOS is present, usually your testosterone's up. Not to freak you out with another diagnosis or anything, but if you do have issues, you're better off knowing, so you can do something about it. (People with PCOS usually have a hard time getting pregnant, it's easier to tackle that if you know what's going on. And yeah, you're a bit young to be considering that, but you get the idea.). For me, I ended up using an IUD for a while, until that became impossible for me due to a slightly malformed uterus, and now I just get a shot every 10 weeks. I haven't had a period in ages, thank heavens. ;) So while you're young to go for such measures, if something's off, just try to get a referral to a OB/GYN. Like I said, you're really young to be prediabetic, and I'm surprised your GP didn't get into this... Anyway... I sincerely hope you'll be able to avoid developing T2, and from the sound of it, you're off to a flying start, so well done, you!

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ <-- this may help a little as well.

Take care of yourself eh. Diabetes, or pre-diabetes, it isn't the end of the world, no... But it is something you need to take seriously. You sound like you've got your head screwed on straight though, and are doing a lot already. Keep it that way and your body will be eternally grateful.

Hugs,
Jo

Last edited:
Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome @Puncey :)

Did you doctor give you your results ? You do seem a bit young but definitely have a winning attitude, so beating this into remission is the best plan.

Eating well for life and exercising regularly is something all of us with or without diabetes need to be doing more of so learning as much as you can and staying healthy for life is the way forward :)

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Hey there!

Have a great day!
Cannot be anything but proud of you there, fingers crossed that you have reversed it! Make sure to keep it up and watch those numbers. The others have given you prime advice but I just wanted to say I am rooting for you and I do hope that things keep getting better for you.

Puncey

Hey all! Thanks so much for the warm welcome and for the advice!! :)

JoKalsbeek - I had a blood test to test a bunch of hormones actually, insulin being one of them. Two others were not in the norms, although I don't remember which ones. The reason my GP diagnosed me with prediabetes is because the tests weren't taken on my period and she said that when you are on your period the results are accurate, otherwise they are a little lower then they actually are. She also said that she thinks the other two hormones are the reason for my period being irregular but she wants to treat the prediabetes first. Also, at the time I had weird periods as well - once I had periods that were two weeks apart! (now I have missed my period on June :( ). As far as I know though, I don't have PCOS or at least I don't show any of the symptoms. Thanks so,so much again! :)

Puncey

Juicyj- thanks a lot! :)

As I said, she did give me my results but also told me that they weren't accurate as I wasn't on my period. I'm gonna get my hormones tested again soon so fingers crossed! :)

Also, thanks so much,Caeseji!!! :) I too am rooting for ya! :)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey all! Thanks so much for the warm welcome and for the advice!! :)

JoKalsbeek - I had a blood test to test a bunch of hormones actually, insulin being one of them. Two others were not in the norms, although I don't remember which ones. The reason my GP diagnosed me with prediabetes is because the tests weren't taken on my period and she said that when you are on your period the results are accurate, otherwise they are a little lower then they actually are. She also said that she thinks the other two hormones are the reason for my period being irregular but she wants to treat the prediabetes first. Also, at the time I had weird periods as well - once I had periods that were two weeks apart! (now I have missed my period on June :( ). As far as I know though, I don't have PCOS or at least I don't show any of the symptoms. Thanks so,so much again! :)
Hey again, Puncey,

Aaah, not to be difficult, but you do show PCOS symptoms... That'd be (1) prediabetes, (2) an irregular period, (3) being slightly overweight, (4) hormonal imbalance... That's why I brought it up. People your age don't usually get prediabetes unless there's something throwing their hormones out of whack, and an ovarian cyst would do exactly that. Not just with male and female hormones, but with insulin as well. (As would steroids, statins or other medication for instance. Usually it's caused by something other than just plain old regular T2 coming on, if a person's still in their teens.) Hence my concern. Just keep it in the back of your mind in case things get worse and you want further investigation. And if nothing happens, ignore this completely, like I never said anything! ;) As for the prediabetes diagnosis, how was it determined? Was a HbA1c done or was it a fasting bloodglucose test? HbA1c isn't influenced by periods, it's an average of our bloodglucose levels of 3 months, or thereabouts. It's the most reliable test to see where you are, diabetes-wise. (On your period bloodsugars run higher in all women, not just pre-/diabetics, so a fasting blood glucose test could be inaccurate and not sufficient for official diagnosis).

In any case, I really hope you'll continue on as you have, having taken this particular bull by the horns. And if we can help in any way, let us know eh.
Jo