Newly Diagnosed and Confused

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just going less and then when I am going just slightly hard which I’m trying to avoid as I’m on anticoagulant injections and paranoid about getting a tear etc.

I was going every day and now about every other day?
adding some extra fats to your diet helps.

Reactions: IBEX82

IBEX82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
adding some extra fats to your diet helps.

I thought it may be that.. was tempted to try the cream in coffee thing to boost it a little but I’m hoping the addition of a few nuts to my breakfast might help.

IBEX82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Totally unusual really high fasting reading this am... I went to bed on 7.6 and woke up to a fasting reading of 15.6?!

Sheeesh.. I was reading about the Somogyi effect... could it be this?! I’m skipping breakfast I know that much :(

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Totally unusual really high fasting reading this am... I went to bed on 7.6 and woke up to a fasting reading of 15.6?!

Sheeesh.. I was reading about the Somogyi effect... could it be this?! I’m skipping breakfast I know that much :(
Did you do a second test to make sure it wasn't a dodgy strip or something on your finger?

IBEX82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Did you do a second test to make sure it wasn't a dodgy strip or something on your finger?

Yeah I did :( I even did the little control test just in case but result were consistent. I felt I was doing so well...le sigh.. I’m learning diabetes was sent to try me :p

M

Member496333

Not necessarily a bad thing. Remember that with resistant diabetes (T2) blood glucose is only the symptom. All-body glucose is the condition causing hyperinsulinemia. As insulin levels fall, the glucose can come flooding out of the liver, particularly in the morning. The sugar is better off in your blood than it is stuffed into every cell in the body. Don’t panic. Stick with the plan. Stop putting sugar in, and keep burning it off.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited by a moderator:

IBEX82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Not necessarily a bad thing. Remember that with resistant diabetes (T2) blood glucose is only the symptom. All-body glucose is the condition causing hyperinsulinemia. As insulin levels fall, the glucose can come flooding out of the liver, particularly in the morning. The sugar is better off in your blood than it is stuffed into every cell in the body. Don’t panic. Stick with the plan. Stop putting sugar in, and keep burning it off.

Edited for clarity.

Thank you! This is helpful and reassuring. I wondered if my blood sugar had fallen overnight and the liver had dumped a load back into my blood but this makes sense too. I’ll keep going with the diet - it was just a shock after being consistent 4-5 in the am.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Just going less and then when I am going just slightly hard which I’m trying to avoid as I’m on anticoagulant injections and paranoid about getting a tear etc.

I was going every day and now about every other day?
I get a little constipation sometimes due to the LCHF diet. What I find helps as a preventative is a little Olive Oil drizzled on my breakfast (of 2 boiled eggs). If I keep the motions fairly regular and keep myself hydrated then I don't get into the situation of having hard motions.

IBEX82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I get a little constipation sometimes due to the LCHF diet. What I find helps as a preventative is a little Olive Oil drizzled on my breakfast (of 2 boiled eggs). If I keep the motions fairly regular and keep myself hydrated then I don't get into the situation of having hard motions.

Good tip! I usually scramble my eggs in a little butter as I thought this would help keep my fat content up - I tend to grill sausages and bacon though. Maybe I should resort to frying for the extra fat?

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I don't know how well it would work with fats that are solid at room temperature, but certainly Olive Oil is very good for lubricating the inside of the body.

IBEX82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know how well it would work with fats that are solid at room temperature, but certainly Olive Oil is very good for lubricating the inside of the body.

I eat a lot of salads so I could pop some on that :)

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls

It would be very difficult to determine whether your high morning BG was due to Somogyi versus Dawn Phenomenon after the fact. But the bedtime reading of 7.6 makes me thing it was probably just the Dawn Phenomenon - unless you eat some High Glycemic Index carbs the night before.

IBEX82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It would be very difficult to determine whether your high morning BG was due to Somogyi versus Dawn Phenomenon after the fact. But the bedtime reading of 7.6 makes me thing it was probably just the Dawn Phenomenon - unless you eat some High Glycemic Index carbs the night before.

Quite possible dawn effect.. I guess I’ll have no way of knowing. I didn’t bother with a snack before bed as above 7 seemed quite reasonable... had it of been 4. something I usually would.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Or possibly your immune system is fighting off something that’s brewing as yet unseen

IBEX82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Or possibly your immune system is fighting off something that’s brewing as yet unseen

This is also very possible. Being on the high dose steroids picking up bugs is always a risk... and actually my readings throughout the day have been a little higher than usual.. though I assumed that was from starting at such a high level anyway.

I’d forgotten to think about that though, so thank you.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I found that not eating breakfast meant that my BG levels kept on going up. A few carbs first thing seemed to reassure my errant liver that it could relax a bit.
I still stick to up to 10 gm of carbs first thing, then do not eat again until the evening, as that seems to suit me best.

IBEX82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I found that not eating breakfast meant that my BG levels kept on going up. A few carbs first thing seemed to reassure my errant liver that it could relax a bit.
I still stick to up to 10 gm of carbs first thing, then do not eat again until the evening, as that seems to suit me best.

I usually get a few carbs in the morning but more by fruit. Today was the first day I didn’t as it was just so high. I think my breakfast is approx 4-5g though this may increase a little as I’ll be adding a couple of pecans tomorrow :)

I’ll see how it goes

IBEX82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Back to 4.8 fasting and pre breakfast..then it was 5.2 post breakfast. How bizarre!

Last edited:

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Back to 4.8 fasting and pre breakfast..then it was 5.2 post breakfast. How bizarre!
That's the awkward way that diabetes gets us sometimes but it shows decent progress! I've had a 3.8 this morning myself, it's so all over the place but you're doing all the right things and I cannot be anything but impressed.

IBEX82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
That's the awkward way that diabetes gets us sometimes but it shows decent progress! I've had a 3.8 this morning myself, it's so all over the place but you're doing all the right things and I cannot be anything but impressed.

Ahhhh you were a little low but I’m assuming not too bad pre eating?

Thanks so much though, that’s such a lovely comment as it’s a struggle some days to keep on with it as I was a carb monster before! :)

From what I’ve read in the forum you’ve been doing incredible yourself so I guess we just have to keep keepin’ at it ;)