Stored Insulin in the Fridge

jamesfitz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Despite the fact insulin bbe date is usually 12 months down the line my insulin appears to only work for a month

whenever i get a fresh batch from the pharmacy the insulin works perfectly and i store the rest in the fridge. when i come to use the next pen approx 1 month later the pen in the fridge is nowhere near as effective.

could it the temperature is too cool in the fridge?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Fridge too warm or too cold? You could buy a cheap thermometer to check your fridge temperature. Put it in the spot in the fridge where you store your insulin, as there's variation in temperature in different parts of the fridge.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you do t have a fridge with 4deg temp control. Get a thermometer. I did, and it was an eye opener.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to do storage testing of food and had to insist that I needed cabinets which kept the temperature constant - not domestic fridges. It was some time ago now, but they could be really variable. I used to use polystyrene boxes to try to level things out. You could try an insulated box - polystyrene food packaging taped together should do the trick. Don't forget to make a top for it. Place on a shelf in the middle of the fridge with a thermometer on top - or if you can find a maximum and minimum thermometer set that up - just to see what the range is.
If it is about right, put your insulin in there. That prevents swings in its temperature as you open the door and reduces any changes when things at room temperature or warmer or colder are put into the fridge.
If your fridge is not keeping the temperature accurately enough could you arrange for the chemist to store your insulin - if that is convenient for you?

D

Deleted member 308541

I got a meat thermometer from Aldis for $2.00, which I keep in my beer fridge to check the temps.

ncK7nHD.jpg

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I keep my insulin on the shelf inside door of the fridge. It has a thermometer beside it and the temperature there averages around 5 degrees, although it can be a little more or a littte less. Never had a problem with any deterioration over the eight weeks or so it is stored there.

I remember my pharmacist telling me that insulin has a pretty good tolerance to small temperature changes. Bill

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I know that when I get my insulin off the pharmacy driver my insulin is warm as it's been in the van for awhile before I get it but as soon as I get it I put it in the fridge and leave it for awhile before I check it if it is cold again before I place it in the fridge door with the following rest and I can leave it there for a couple of months and it's still okay to use and I have never up to now had a bad batch but I always keep a eye on it so that if any do start to discolour or look funny I get rid of in the bin as if you take it to the pharmacy that is what they will do with it and I order a new batch on emergency prescription and get that same day but that is if I have to but I normally have around 3 boxes of cartridges in the fridge as I do in case they run out of insulin as I have heard once one pharmacy did in the Midlands a few years ago so I now keep some in just for that reason

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
do you keep the pens in the carton they come in as this might make a difference
Not sure I understand your question.
I get 3 months worth of insulin delivered in a cooled truck and I move them to my fridge upon delivery, in their cardboard boxes. My long acting comes in pens, in boxes of 3 and my quick acting comes in cartridges in boxes of 5.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I keep my insulin in the fridge but my pens are either in my pocket, car ! top of fridge freezer (0utside ) on the arm of the settee, anywhere really just not in the oven or in the fridge, not noticed any probs with it not being consistent