Post dental surgery advice

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I really need some help on what to eat post dental surgery in 5 days time. I’m type 2 diabetic insulin controlled, I have 2 set doses of 40 units in the am and 12 in the pm. I cannot adjust my doses as it’s signed for by care givers.

I don’t cook for myself, so the menu plan will be totally unsuitable. I need ideas for food and nutrition that will keep me within safe levels without needing cooking or much preparing. I can’t have soups as I’m intolerant to ingredients like onion, tomato, and mushrooms. My thoughts were to have milky weetabix for breakfast, then a complan shake for lunch and dinner, then have custard and rice pudding for snacks. But that’s been pointed out to me it’s all high sugar. Right now I’m caught between a rock and a hard place, don’t eat and go hypo or eat and go too high.

All ideas appreciated and considered.
Many thanks
Lynne

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you know how many carbs you eat normally?
If you know this, you can plan your post surgery meals to have approximately the same amount of carbs which should work with your insulin dose.
No, I don’t cook for myself due to disability, I just normally eat whatever is on the meal plan but nothing is counted or weighed to know exactly what carbs I will need post surgery.

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am low carb, so sorry if these are not suitable but I would try full fat greek yogurt with mashed raspberries, boiled eggs mashed with a little butter, hummus, cream cheese, and maybe some puriton shakes (which I used) for protein - combined with whatever extras you need for the insulin dose?
Thanks, I will definitely take on board some of these ideas, and look into those nutritional shakes.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks, I will definitely take on board some of these ideas, and look into those nutritional shakes.
Do note that if you normally have a fair amount of carbs then following a low carb option could well cause hypos - I suspect your normal meals probably contain a fair wodge of things such as bread, potatoes, rice, and/or pasta - all of which are high in carbs - and your insulin dosage is probably set for the approximate amount you are normally likely to have

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do note that if you normally have a fair amount of carbs then following a low carb option could well cause hypos - I suspect your normal meals probably contain a fair wodge of things such as bread, potatoes, rice, and/or pasta - all of which are high in carbs - and your insulin dosage is probably set for the approximate amount you are normally likely to have
Yes my normal meals always have bread, potatoes, and pasta. So I will bear this in mind. But I do think it’s easier for me to increase sugars than bring them down in my situation.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can your care givers purée your normal meals for you?

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Don't have anything hot to eat or drink as you will find that you can lose the blood clot in your gum and the thing I found was a couple of hours sleep after the anaesthetic and a cool drink to help with you to swollow and I normally eat a tin of rice cold or just warm as I don't want to put any near the hole and later on when I can feel everything again I can eat normal just if you get anything stuck in the hole squirt water in it using your tongue and that will losen it or clear it and the hole will be clear to close up and in a week it should be closing up as I had one out a couple of weeks ago and it is nearly healed and that is what I have done every time and I have see everyone I know try it and it works for them as well just passing on a few tips in case you want to try it