Emergency rations

HelenHak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
For reasons I don’t need to go into, I found myself at Gatwick airport following a flight and realised I hadn’t eaten for about 18 hours. I went into M&S and found a sandwich that was “half the bread, all the filling”. At 21g carbs, it was more than I would usually eat in one go but was a much better choice than an ordinary sandwich at 53g! Also a nice change from the cheese and nuts which is all I can usually find. It hit the spot.
Maybe this is the start of supermarkets thinking about carb content? I hope so.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In similar circumstances I have had a scotch egg, easy to hold and not too messy. They vary in carbs, cheap ones have a lot of breadcrumbs but there is a Waitrose one with 8.5 grams for example.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For reasons I don’t need to go into, I found myself at Gatwick airport following a flight and realised I hadn’t eaten for about 18 hours. I went into M&S and found a sandwich that was “half the bread, all the filling”. At 21g carbs, it was more than I would usually eat in one go but was a much better choice than an ordinary sandwich at 53g! Also a nice change from the cheese and nuts which is all I can usually find. It hit the spot.
Maybe this is the start of supermarkets thinking about carb content? I hope so.
Hi Helen M&S is one of my favourite food shops for LC. They do a great deli selection which is 3 for £7 which many of which are very LC. The one that sticks out most, which I use on a regular basis, is rollitos which are small cigar shape cheese covered by ham. They do 3 varieties. I find eating one pack on the go is extremely filling. But if you dont like ham or cheese look at their other offerings. Advise you to swerve the bread there are other tasty options. Hope this helps.

JimPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
M&S deli has dried bacon strips which are addictive. They are in the 3 for £7 deal.... so I get 3 packs!!!
(our local garage is a BP/M&S, so this happens each time I fill the car)

HelenHak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I wanted to make the point that these sandwiches indicate that some thought is being given to the carb content of foods.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that we are at the point where there must be thought given to a lot of things - the NHS is having problems with funds - yet it is running itself ragged chasing low cholesterol, with low calorie, low fat diets are still being printed out - there are a few HCPs who will agree that low carb diets are working for diabetes type two, helping some type ones, and are good for weightloss - but they say it very quietly.
Surely someone somewhere should be asking just how effective are we being and is there some sort of analysis to be done with all the data we are accumulating which might show what factors really count and which are irrelevant.

HelenHak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think that we are at the point where there must be thought given to a lot of things - the NHS is having problems with funds - yet it is running itself ragged chasing low cholesterol, with low calorie, low fat diets are still being printed out - there are a few HCPs who will agree that low carb diets are working for diabetes type two, helping some type ones, and are good for weightloss - but they say it very quietly.
Surely someone somewhere should be asking just how effective are we being and is there some sort of analysis to be done with all the data we are accumulating which might show what factors really count and which are irrelevant.

Too true.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
M&S deli has dried bacon strips which are addictive. They are in the 3 for £7 deal.... so I get 3 packs!!!
(our local garage is a BP/M&S, so this happens each time I fill the car)
And just recently chorizo and pork cracking 'crisps' . This is kind of keto junk food though so I do keep it down to a weekly treat (or emergency ration).
To note Waitrose do some nice coconut chunks too.