Diabetes & depression - what has worked best for you?

sweaty betty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’m heading to my GP this week as I’m experiencing symptoms of depression/anxiety and have been for a while.

I’ve read that some antidepressants can cause weight gain and raised blood sugar - obviously I want to avoid this if possible! Des anyone have experience of trying to balance the two or different a/d that may by have this impact?

Thanks

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I take one 20mg capsule of fluoxetine (Prozac) daily to keep depression at bay. The leaflet in the pack doesn't say anything about weight gain or raised blood sugar. It does say a common side effect which may affect up to 1 in 10 people is 'not feeling hungry, weight loss'.

You should ask your gp when you see her/him about the side effects of any medication you might be prescribed. As you are diabetic they will know that you shouldn't be prescribed anything that might raise your blood glucose, and there are many different anti-depressant/anxiety medications available.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Walking, long walks in woodland or near water if you can. Meditation. A dog is great. Saunas if possible. Gaining a perspective has helped me to stave off feelings of "why me, i'm slimmer than so and so"; specifically a family friend who was born with a heart defect, at around 13 years old has helped me. He effectively offered to die, to help his Mum who had worked tirelessly in and out of hospital with him get a rest. Now this young inspiration is taking part in the transplant games. I am not equating my previous low days with depression, but Type 2 is one of the rare conditions that can for many be treated without drugs, with let's face it just reducing carbs and ingesting many processed so called treats. On balance missing the stuff that hardly adds to health is a small price to pay. I think seeing the lives of others who suffer in other ways helps with context, although just like having children the individual experience is personal.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure how relevant my experiences are to you, but I will offer them anyway.

When I paid for a Vit D deficiency test, started supplementing, and got my levels up to high/normal - my overall mood lifted
When I discovered that insomnia is a widespread symptom of magnesium deficiency, and started supplementing - my sleep improved significantly, which a knock on effect on my tension and overall mood
When I discovered that coffee (even decaff) was affecting my blood pressure, and dropped both tea and coffee - my stress, anxiety and sleep levels all improved.

I actually shudder to think what state I would be in by now, if I was still a coffee drinking, Vit D and magnesium deficient depressed insomniac with high blood pressure. It is not a pretty picture though.

Reactions: Circuspony

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some antidepressants can increase appetite so if you are not careful, can cause weight gain. Fluoxetine is not one of them, and has actually been associated with weight loss. Some of the ones that cause increased appetite are mirtazepine and venlafaxine. Most areas have self-referral primary care psychological services, that offer short CBT based therapies for anxiety and depression. Worth asking the GP surgery for details, most are self referral.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@sweaty betty

I have been on antidepressant for years now and did gain a lot of weight. However, since LCHF I lost 3st initially, although then plateau'd. I've more recently reduced portion sizes and started losing weight again :) Yes, I'm still on the antidepressants and will be for eternity ;)

So, what I'm wanting to say is that, even with medication that encourages weight gain, there are many ways to lose or control your weight ;)

Take care

Reactions: conniecar