Advice on Running an half Marathon on injection

Georgiee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey I'm looking to run a half marathon in September I've ran 2 previously to be diagnosed. November I'll be 2 years T1.
I'm still very active with bootcamp strength training and the 5 or 10k thrown in a few times a week.
My question is how you guys that run manage your insulin when running long distances.
I did a 10k trail run on Saturday and really struggled a combination of an hypo before bed which left me not being able to sleep so a lack of sleep also.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Georgiee

Dearbhla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Georgiee, firstly, I'm not a runner. Also type 1. I'd bad low bloods. On a hike late Sunday.
Air temperature- HEAT might cause us trouble, I think we need less quick acting insulin in heat?
Are you able to reduce the overnight insulin a little, after running a 10k? You didn't have lows during the run? I'd say you're on a quick acting and a background insulin.
I reduce my background insulin by 2 units before a steep hike. It still brings down my bloods 6 hours later. I reduce my lunchtime insulin/eat extra carbs at lunch. Last Sunday I didn't factor in the heat on the mountain, I'd presumed there'd be a cool breeze.
Do you eat beans, eggs? Breakfast of normal tinned baked beans and an egg help me keep bloods stable on a hike...and I didn't eat them last Sunday...

Georgiee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Georgiee, firstly, I'm not a runner. Also type 1. I'd bad low bloods. On a hike late Sunday.
Air temperature- HEAT might cause us trouble, I think we need less quick acting insulin in heat?
Are you able to reduce the overnight insulin a little, after running a 10k? You didn't have lows during the run? I'd say you're on a quick acting and a background insulin.
I reduce my background insulin by 2 units before a steep hike. It still brings down my bloods 6 hours later. I reduce my lunchtime insulin/eat extra carbs at lunch. Last Sunday I didn't factor in the heat on the mountain, I'd presumed there'd be a cool breeze.
Do you eat beans, eggs? Breakfast of normal tinned baked beans and an egg help me keep bloods stable on a hike...and I didn't eat them last Sunday...

Hi Derbhla, Yes I'm on quick acting and background insulin. when I'm going to to be running or exercising first thing in the morning I don't have any insulin on board. I've found that this helps me with low as when I was first diagnosed I'd go off do a Bootcamp session which are quite hard going I'd come back eat so adjust and take my back ground insulin and find that I'd drop like a stone. although my DN does think this is because I'd also be doing the house work which can often be like a workout its self . I'd did a like in Edale at the weekend ate low sugar bake beans and eggs and a slice of low card bread and found I was fine when came back down from the hill side but felt a little nervous as this was my first walk since being diagnosed new camper van prompted the walk lol.