Vegetarians: What have you eaten today?

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Tonight we are having Oumph for the first time. They are selling it now in the big supermarkets so husband got some. Neither of us is at all sure what it's supposed to be like, so dinner is a bit of a mystery tour :joyful::joyful:

He bought some of each packet in the range that Sainsbury's sell, so we have four different types to choose from. I can't help thinking that I really hope we like it or quite a bit of money has been wasted. I'll have to find someone to give them to - won't go in the donation box at the supermarket because they're frozen packs. Maybe my daughter in law?

Reactions: Marie 2

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been really into cauliflower rice lately, I don’t steam it, I just micro it in a bowl and it gets rid of the excess liquid that way and makes it fluffy like rice and spray the aminos over it. Really loving it nowadays! I’ve been eating it almost daily!

So I can see if your bacon turned out good making meals around it to include it!

Microwave for riced cauliflower! Why didn’t I think of that? I don’t like the hassle of steaming it. Do you cover it (vented a little of course), add any water? How long do you nuke it? If you don’t mind all the questions :)

I make a baked falafel bowl with riced cauliflower, dill or cilantro (or whatever is growing in the garden) sliced cucumber, red bell pepper, red onion, and a spicy tzatziki sauce, (add feta if you eat cheese) that’s pretty darn tasty if I do say so myself.

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today is tofu scramble for breakfast. Lunch is curried chickpea salad with some red bell pepper and carrots on the side. Afternoon snack before the gym is a handful of mixed nuts. Dinner will be a big “taco” salad with mixed lettuce, pinto beans, salsa, avocado, pepitas, red onion and whatever bell pepper looks ripe in the garden. I also have some cilantro micro greens I really hope are ready tonight, it adds a punch to the salad.

Reactions: Marie 2 and WuTwo

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Walking Girl

I micro it for 4 minutes uncovered, comes out perfect. Sometimes it stills has a little liquid to pour off, but usually none or not much . I like it much better than steaming it.

Reactions: Walking Girl

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@WuTwo
Oumph I think it doesn’t have much flavor, just different textures and types? Because on the website it says add the flavors you want to it.
So you should be able to make it into something you like!

@Walking Girl
Taco Salad sounds yummy!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Husband likes oomph. I make burgers for him with garlic and soy sauce.

Yesterday I had a portobello mushroom and gallium I burger at dinner with @Rachox and @Goonergal - I tried to have aubergine Parmigiano but they had run out.

Today was tea for breakfast, salad for lunch and cheesy courgette/peppers for dinner.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
One thing - I am totally fed up with writing the word "Veggie" or "vegan" every time I mention a foodstuff.

Take it for granted that everything I eat is vegan from now on, and spare me the typing :joyful:

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

We had the Oomph burgers (Federer was playing and we wanted to be as quick as poss in the kitchen). Husband absolutely loved them! I liked them more the more of it I ate, if you see what I mean.

Certainly it wasn't a waste of money but how often we can afford it is another matter.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
A Tostada! From our fav Mexican restaurant on the island!!! They actually cook roasted veggies and tofu in a separate pan for us vegans!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Now to go and look up "tostada" for I have certainly not had one before :)

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Today's dinner is a massive large stir fry with a katsu sauce (and rather a lot of extra garlic in the stir fry itself), with some Sainsburys vegbabs (katsu flavour). Again, these are new to us but we are nothing if not adventurous haha. Husband will have wholegrain basmati rice, but I think I will add some steamed broccoli to my plate.

Dessert will be berries and yoghurt.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
You are missing out! Tostada's are a staple for me! Usually it's just a tortilla shell flat, with a layer of refried beans, then lettuce tomato and cheese. That is the basic. Onions, gaucamole are common adds.

This particular Mexican restaurant actually has no beans but roasts veggies and tofu (stir fried) adds fresh veggies, like cabbage or lettuce and pico de gallo topping and gaucamole if you want it. It's very good, very healthy and I don't have to do anything!!!!!

For low carbers, you can get low carb tortillas, use tofu instead of beans and it is a low carb veggie meal. It's also an easy fast meal!

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Weird day because I woke up at 5:30 vs the usual 7ish, so I started running errands very early. Also, very busy day, running all around so I was nibbling all day. Anyway, starbucks almond milk latte during early errands. Breakfast was tofu scramble and some leftover roasted “hot” cauliflower ( cauliflower roasted with spices and jalapeños). Mowed the lawn (1hr), and hungry so mid morning snack of black bean hummus with carrots and a handful of dry roasted soy beans. Lunch was some yogurt my sister left at my house, a large dollop of peanut butter and some raspberries (sounds weird, but really good). Hungry in the afternoon, so artichoke hearts, mixed olives, 1/2 sliced avocado, and a handful of strawberries. Dinner will be a big Mediterranean salad loaded with cherry tomatoes because the store had a great sale on organic “sugar bombs” (yum!)

Reactions: WuTwo and Marie 2

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Today I made seitan steaks, so we had some with vegetables in butter chicken sauce (no chicken involved - the sauce is stated to be vegan on the jar), and I marinaded the steaks, served the lot with black Thai rice and steamed asparagus. I had an almond Magnum to follow.

Gorgeous!

Lunch was the usual salad/veg bowl with lots of sprouted seeds on top and brekkie was peanut butter on wholemeal toast.

Altogether a very chilled out and happy day's munching.

Tomorrow - back on the much lower carb options!

Reactions: Guna108 and Marie 2

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Breakfast. - porridge
Lunch - Japanese curry with tofu and rice
Dinner - frittata and courgette

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I skillet grilled Beyond Meat sausages. These were really really good and very filling. Not cheap though!
But we really enjoyed them! 2g carb and 16g protein each.

upload_2019-7-15_13-28-12.png
upload_2019-7-15_13-28-36.png

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I was late out of bed so went for a nice quick peanut butter on toast with coffee.

It's my long day at work but I brought my lunchbox filled with my usual chopped veggies/salad, and I brought some walnut oil in a separate little contained (very good seal on it!)

Husband will sort out dinner while I'm at work, so I don't know yet what it will be. I do like an exciting life :rolleyes:

dms1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No breakfast today - went through the morning on decaff coffee with a splash of soya milk plus plain water when thirsty.

Lunch was a chickpea wrap (seasoned gram flour mixed with water and coconut kefir to a thickish batter, then fried in a non-stick pan brushed with oil). I topped this with harissa / mashed avocado / cucumber /cress and rolled it into a neat cylinder. very yummy and filling.

Supper will be green bean and red pepper stew / tomato and onion salad / freekeh tabbouleh with lots of herbs and lemon.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Meetings and travel today so quick toast for breakfast then cream cheese sandwich for lunch. No idea what dinner will be when I make it back, depends on contents of fridge/freezer.