Type 2 My lowest reading so far.

Smiler69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening

Not been feeling so good this evening, headache, heart fluttering, just not right. Checked my blood before I go to bed and it was 5.3. That’s my lowest reading yet, could that be why I don’t feel quite right? Should I eat something?

Thanks.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you taking any diabetes drugs that cause blood sugars to drop?

It sounds to me like a false hypo - making you feel weird and wobbly when your sugars are lowering to a level your body is not yet used to. If it were low 4s or less I would eat something, but at 5.3 it is quite normal.

Reactions: Smiler69

Smiler69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you taking any diabetes drugs that cause blood sugars to drop?

It sounds to me like a false hypo - making you feel weird and wobbly when your sugars are lowering to a level your body is not yet used to. If it were low 4s or less I would eat something, but at 5.3 it is quite normal.

Thank you.
Yes. I’m on gliclazide, metformin and victoza.
In the last 3-4 weeks I’ve been trying the low carb way of eating, my bloods have gone from 20+ to a range of 6-9 but this was my lowest reading.
Thank you for your reply.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You are on glucose lowering medication - I suggest contacting whoever is doing your prescribing to let them know of the changes you have made and the results.
Low carb is a powerful tool for lowering blood glucose and it has helped many type twos reduce and even discontinue medication. You have made a really significant alteration in your levels which bodes well for the future.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you.
Yes. I’m on gliclazide, metformin and victoza.
In the last 3-4 weeks I’ve been trying the low carb way of eating, my bloods have gone from 20+ to a range of 6-9 but this was my lowest reading.
Thank you for your reply.

I agree with @Resurgam

The gliclazide works by forcing the pancreas to produce extra insulin. The less carbs you eat, the less insulin you need. Too much insulin can lead to hypos. It would therefore be a good idea to speak to your nurse/GP about your new way of eating and ask that your dose of gliclazide be reduced or discontinued.

It looks like your low carb way of eating is working. Well done. :)