What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Frittata was shared with oh - he had large half - about 60% of it. Made with four rashers bacon, six mushrooms about 100g of chicken and 100g of cheese and five eggs. Back to three meals tomorrow.
A melamine mug for Walking!

Frittata Sounds wonderful. I love the idea of a melamine coffee mug for your walks - much more civilised than the lid of the flask.

Viv19

I know you are on about a different appliance, our slow cooker is just under 6 ltrs. this does just the two of us plus a couple of meals to stash away in the freezer. this is not a problem cooking large peices of salt meat though.

Thanks Tipetoo. It helps to have an idea.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: left over slow cooked gammon with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: coconut chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: tuna melts with roasted Mediterranean veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola. (I made more tuna melts than usual while I was at it this time, has anyone frozen this type of thing successfully? I want to try if they last that long!)

View attachment 34325

I went through a phase of making these all the time after you first posted the recipe, they are lovely aren’t they?. I’d totally forgotten about them recently so must get cracking and make more. I expect they’d freeze ok. Please let us know if you try.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you think the instant pot is worth having? The Amazon price here is €79 for the 6 litre size.

Yes! I got mine after reading so many posts on here about various recipes being done in it. I love it. When I went away a few months ago my daughter borrowed it for a fortnight and now she has one too. Once you get over the initial nerves of using it , it is invaluable. Mine lives on the kitchen counter - no point in putting it away.

Reactions: maglil55 and Viv19

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you think the instant pot is worth having? The Amazon price here is €79 for the 6 litre size.

Yes! I got mine after reading so many posts on here about various recipes being done in it. I love it. When I went away a few months ago my daughter borrowed it for a fortnight and now she has one too. Once you get over the initial nerves of using it , it is invaluable. Mine lives on the kitchen counter - no point in putting it away.
It can be used as a slow cooker too - my daughter has but I’ve never tried it, so easy to cook things under pressure and leave on ‘Keep Warm’ til whenever you want it.

Reactions: Viv19

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok it sounds good. What about the size? Is the 6 litre too enormous for a 2 people household? We do have a number of visitors but obviously quantities are not what used to be cooked.

Viv - As of today, we will have 2 x 6ltr pots for two of us. (I know, I know.)

The larger volume is dideal for broths, stock, and other "volume" stuff, and it encourages batch cooking and freezing.

Bearing in mind you can cook in it from frozen (Yup, dig out brown block from freezer, lob into the cauldron for 15 mins + plus heating time, obviously) and the mystery of the blob is revealed and ready to cook. Not that we have ever done this and found it to be something unexpected!)

You can make yoghurt, clotted cream (although I've not yet done the cream).

I was always scared of pressure cookers, because an exploding pressure cooker could take the edge off one's day, but the IP is very safe with it's electronic locking systems.

I bought mine when my slow cooker inner pot developed a through and through crack and had to go. My desire at the time was it's replacement had to do more than cook slowly, so looked at multi-cookers. The sealing on the deal was the stainless steel inner pot, as non-stick ones can eventually become damaged (you can buy a non-stick inner for the IP, if desired).

@Brunneria highlighted the recommendation for the stainless inner to me, so we're on the mutual appreciation loop here. :)

Mine never goes away. It sits on the prep bench, next to the air fryer which is also being used way more than I thought it would be.

Other brands exist, but the Facebook group is excellent for newbie queries and support.

Sorry, @ianpspurs . I know your preference was for another brand, so feel free to eulogise equally for it!

(I'll shut up now, before I have to warn myself.)

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Thanks for the advice. I have heard of cals and carbs but didn't realise about the pics and portion sizes. The problem may come if the foods shown are those I no longer want to eat - meat being a prime example. I am not really losing weight - hovver around 74 kgs - so that isn't an issue. Hope you find a way of stabilising your weight now you are in a country with imho better food.
Update: Just looked at reviews for this on google store. Android version panned and I am wholly Applephobic - visceral dislike,

Reactions: gennepher

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
The book is not either Apple or Android. If you do get it I recommend the full version, pocket size lacks an index making it difficult to find foods. Of course the book includes meat, but surely you can ignore those pages? Or tear them out? The vast majority is given over to carb containing foods.
Having seen tbe recent posts about portion sizes morphing towards enormous, did a bit of weighing stuff yesterday. Maybe it is from the visual clues in the book, but I found mine were all more or less accurate. Variation of -2 to +8g.
Hope you do find a way forward. Best wishes Liz

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok it sounds good. What about the size? Is the 6 litre too enormous for a 2 people household? We do have a number of visitors but obviously quantities are not what used to be cooked.
Mine is 6 litre for mostly just 2 of us. As @DCUKMod says it does encourage cooking and freezing. I think you see already that the Cult of Potters wouldn't be without them. The Facebook Group is really handy and there is a load of LC Instant Pot recipes out there.
I too was a bit scared of Stove Top Pressure Cookers but the IP is just so easy once you get used to the terminology the fact it just switches to Keep Warm after the cooking time is done. Despite having a 6 ltr I'd love a second one but Hubby would have a fit (despite me donating duplicate appliances to the Salvation Army).
It is the IP I make the LC creme brulee in (9mins high pressure , 15 mins natural release).
EDIT - the same question is on the Facebook Group page. Although I wouldn't want to nark Hubby currently with a 2nd IP there is a good suggestion to get a 2nd stainless steel inner. One lady has 2 IP and 4 inners ( @DCUKMod?).

Last edited:

Viv19

Oh, @Viv19 what are you getting entangled in - the cult of the IP. Good for bone broth if you like that sort of thing:angelic:

Haha that’s probably the one thing I wouldn’t use it for. I went through years making own stock from bones, etc, but couldn’t bring myself to eat it. You know I’m a reluctant carnivore. So I buy good Organic stock cubes with not too much salt.
@maglil55. It does sound very adaptable- especially when you can make creme brulee in it! I was thinking in terms of massive amounts of goulasch or chilli con carne, but it obviously does much more than just that.

Last edited:

Viv19

The larger volume is dideal for broths, stock, and other "volume" stuff, and it encourages batch cooking and freezing.

Bearing in mind you can cook in it from frozen (Yup, dig out brown block from freezer, lob into the cauldron for 15 mins + plus heating time, obviously) and the mystery of the blob is revealed and ready to cook. Not that we have ever done this and found it to be something unexpected!)

I was always scared of pressure cookers, because an exploding pressure cooker could take the edge off one's day, but the IP is very safe with it's electronic locking systems.

I bought mine when my slow cooker inner pot developed a through and through crack and had to go. My desire at the time was it's replacement had to do more than cook slowly, so looked at multi-cookers. The sealing on the deal was the stainless steel inner pot, as non-stick ones can eventually become damaged (you can buy a non-stick inner for the IP, if desired).

@Brunneria highlighted the recommendation for the stainless inner to me, so we're on the mutual appreciation loop here. :)

Mine never goes away. It sits on the prep bench, next to the air fryer which is also being used way more than I thought it would be.

Other brands exist, but the Facebook group is excellent for newbie queries and support.

Sorry, @ianpspurs . I know your preference was for another brand, so feel free to eulogise equally for it!

Still 11 hrs + to go. It sounds very useful . I’m a great fan of cooking bulk and freezing.
I saw some cook books for LC IP cooking and for IP Keto recipes. What deters me slightly is that it’s yet another complicated item to learn about.
The new car is so automated and complicated. OH is a hopeless technophobe so I have to work everything out and explain it to him. He just points it and drives. Hopefully he won’t need fog lights or cruise control before I’ve worked out where it all is. We did have an introduction (1 hour long) - some of it I remember...... I know OH wasn’t listening. And it was in German.
But back to the IP. That would be my toy. Definitely thinking about it.

Viv19

It’s good to know that other people have unidentifiable blocks in their freezer too.
I was also nervous of pressure cookers. I had one years ago and eventually ‘lost it’ when we moved because I was never comfortable using it. MIL used to terrify me when she gaily opened the top while it was pressurised. I think hers didn’t seal properly . Mine sprayed everything when she did that.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Still 11 hrs + to go. It sounds very useful . I’m a great fan of cooking bulk and freezing.
I saw some cook books for LC IP cooking and for IP Keto recipes. What deters me slightly is that it’s yet another complicated item to learn about.
The new car is so automated and complicated. OH is a hopeless technophobe so I have to work everything out and explain it to him. He just points it and drives. Hopefully he won’t need fog lights or cruise control before I’ve worked out where it all is. We did have an introduction (1 hour long) - some of it I remember...... I know OH wasn’t listening. And it was in German.
But back to the IP. That would be my toy. Definitely thinking about it.

Viv, it really isn't complicated. It has preset timings for meat, rice, soup, stew, yoghurt and a few others, so you can cut your teeth using the presets, then a bit like "normal" cooking, start to experiment.

There are a very few golden rules you'll be fine with, and you'll be away.

I lover, love, love the lob it and leave it style of cooking. By that I mean, I lob the ingredients in, then leave it to do it's thing.

I'll often do the prep when I have time, switch it on to cook, then leave it on Keep Warm, until we're ready, hours later. It's fab!

Have a look at Twosleevers.com She does oodles of LC and keto stuff, and I haven't done one thing of hers I didn't like, but then we like Indian/Asian food.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Viv19 you can fit a whole ‘roast’ chicken in the 6l or a decent size joint of beef or gammon. Even if you wouldn’t eat the whole joint you have plenty left for cold cuts and other meals later. I cook for 2 mostly but I’m glad I’ve got the bigger one.

Reactions: maglil55 and Viv19

Rubyjewelz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Illness
Share what you've eaten today with the rest of the DCUK community and maybe steal a few ideas for yourself!

Please remember that this is the 'Low Carb Diet Forum' and that this thread isn't for low carb debates :)

Rubyjewelz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Illness
Share what you've eaten today with the rest of the DCUK community and maybe steal a few ideas for yourself!

Please remember that this is the 'Low Carb Diet Forum' and that this thread isn't for low carb debates :)
S very small portion of porridge with 1/2 a banana..Lunch was 2 whole grain biscuits with weight watchers sardine in tomato sauce...x

Reactions: shelley262

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

Just had to tell you - had baked salmon (400g, which was a large portion, and frankly too large. the dogs had the last bit) for lunch today, and 2 oz of salmon roe 'caviar'. First time I have tasted salmon roe. Sooo delicious! And another carnivore superfood, like liver.

I've had lumpfish caviar before, and liked that, but this was quite different, and even nicer. Pity about the price!!!

Am now inspired to try the other roes out there, and maybe have another bash at low carb, keto taramasalata. Didn't feel I got it right, the last time I tried, but there is a tin of codsroe in the cupboard, just waiting for me to tackle it.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast was 2 scrambled eggs before rushing off for an early "on the day" appointment with the doctor (a bit of a disappointment after waiting so long to see him).
Oddly my BG dropped like a stone and I was in hypoland before I got home from town (luckily my son was driving) so a small Twix biscuit (didn't have any plain biscuits - this was from the stock I keep for my grand daughter). BG up to 7.5 an hour and a half later.
Lunch was sardines with tomato and cucumber salad.
Dinner - can't think of anything I want, maybe just some cheese. I have some nice Jarlsberg in the fridge (currently my favourite), so probably some of that.