A few Eye / Sight Issues

KTJ95

This is a bit of a long one, I do apologise.
Anyone who even reads this, let anyone comments, deserves a medal!

Hello there.
I am new to posting, but have been a lurker for a year or so!

Since having my son 17 months ago, I have been having issues with my eyes that are more than just background.
I got told I have traces of diabetic Maculopathy the scan after my son was born. I have eye scans now every 6 months, but I have received a letter after my last scan, and they wish to see me in 4 months? My results were:
R-R1M1P0
L-R1M1P0
The chances related to my diabetes are still present but stable.
Anyone know what my diagnosis means? I’m guessing M1 is related to Maculopathy?

I’m so scared I’m going to loose my sight. It’s my biggest fear in life....
I keep my sugars controlled and I monitor them 5-7 times a day.
It’s hard keeping them under control sometimes a step I’m still breastfeeding.

Another thing.
I have noticed over the last half a year, in dim lighting, the central of my vision has a blob/shadow that I can’t see through? I can see the object/light in my periphal vision, but not in my central. If I blink really fast in light, it appears, but only when blinking fast. I have an appointment with my optitions in a week.

Last thing, sorry!
The last few months I haven noticed my nose is always in my vision. A shadow of both sides, and on either side of this shadow, I have double vision. If I close the oposite eye, the double vision goes.
Again, I have that appointment at the optitions in a week to try to get to the bottom of this.
I also know our nose is always in our vision, but our brain learns to block it out, and if you concentrate, you can see it on perpouse, but this is always I in my vision!

So I ask, has anyone had any experiances of any of this or even know what’s happening?
My anxiety is through the roof, and my son has now started to pick up on how I’m being.
I’m just so, so worried about my eyesight, and what all this means for my sight in the future.

Exit to say: I am 23 and I have been Type 1 Diabetic for 7 years. Sufferers of visual migraines every now and then which has caused 2 small blind spots due to brain damage from them when I wasn’t young.

Many thanks
Katy

Last edited:

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think the series of letters you have posted is just the medical way or reporting you have r1 - reitnopathy and m1 - maculopathy.....so don't worry about that....

as far the maculopathy, its more serious than retinopathy, but only due to its location, the central vision part of the eye.....but its still in the very early stages and both the m and r can be improved...

I have retinopathy......and maculopathy in one eye.....was going every 3 months, then it went away, now back to a yearly photo....so you will be fine if you keep stable....

having a baby can be a big deal for your diabetes, so there's nothing you could have done about that.....

after I heard I had maculopathy I did get a wee bit anxious about everything....and I started imagining things....not saying this is happening to you, but its possible if anxiety is high.....

I suspect your eyes are just a tad unstable at the minute and they need settle in...

I now look at the eye clinic and my visits there as a good thing.....the more regular the better, as the chances of any sight loss is very, very low.....provided your doing your best with control ;)

good tips......try to avoid yo yo ing levels....if you are running a tad high OK, but spiking up then dropping down quick isnt good for the eyes......also blood pressure - is it elevated, are you on meds? I went on some as a preventative so might be worth going on a low dose just to help...

Reactions: RhianSamuel