Any other Type 1 / Autism kids?

HopeGirl

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

My 9-year old son was dx Type 1 last Sunday. We caught it before a DKA, which we're very grateful for. He is also autistic and has very restrictive eating patterns. He eats less than ten foods, although he has a good appetite. He has been an utter star adapting to the injections which is quite a feat as he has Sensory issues as well.

I was wondering whether there are any other parents with kids with an autism/diabetes dx? Or adults who have both dx's?

HopeGirl

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve got type one and Asperger’s. Sending (non-contact! ;))hugs to you and your boy!

Thank you so much! So lovely to hear there is someone else out there. He has totally blown us away with how he is handling it all. We are so proud of him.

Millimoi

I know it was posted a good while ago but thought I’d mention I’m another adult with both conditions (amongst others) and so glad your little guy is doing good. I think because diabetes management becomes a ‘rule’ it is something that we ASD people thrive on, it’s just what has to happen so we deal with it reasonably ok. Hope you are doing good, I was diagnosed around the age of your son if you have any questions or are looking for tips on how to approach something, I’m always happy to help :)

My3sons16

Hi I'm a mom with two boys who are 4 and 3. My 4 year old was diagnosed with Autisim at 3 a couple months later,last may to be exact. We found out he was Type 1 diabetic. Then my 3 year who is about to get diagnosed with Autisim too. Was just diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes this past June 16th, My Birthday. So now I have two boys with Autisim and Type 1 Diabetes. It's so hard to watch your children so young go through this. No one understands how hard it really is. Just taking care of two kids with Autisim and now adding Type 1 Diabetes to it. Watching them go through all the things that they go through daily. Though I think the Autisim Helps my 4 year old deal with the finger pokes and shots. It's new for my 3 year old, turns 3 tomorrow. He isn't taking it as good and who would really. It's hard as a mother watching them go through both Autism and now Diabetes. I feel like there life is going to be so much harder. I will be there every step of the way to get them through all of it. I'm Exhausted I have no help. My family disappeared when they were diagnosed. Not wanting to learn the shots or any of it really. I have no one to ready talk to because they don't understand. And my Husband. Well let's just say. He creates problems for us because I can't give him the attention he needs because.im dealing with all of this. Our relationship is becoming complicated. Because I deal with our kids all day and get exhausted and overwhelmed. He should get it he sees some of it but he doesn't. I was so shocked to see other families on here dealing with both. I'm in the states and couldn't find anything here. I'm here to talk or advice just anything. Thanks

MsBea

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
Hi I'm a mom with two boys who are 4 and 3. My 4 year old was diagnosed with Autisim at 3 a couple months later,last may to be exact. We found out he was Type 1 diabetic. Then my 3 year who is about to get diagnosed with Autisim too. Was just diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes this past June 16th, My Birthday. So now I have two boys with Autisim and Type 1 Diabetes. It's so hard to watch your children so young go through this. No one understands how hard it really is. Just taking care of two kids with Autisim and now adding Type 1 Diabetes to it. Watching them go through all the things that they go through daily. Though I think the Autisim Helps my 4 year old deal with the finger pokes and shots. It's new for my 3 year old, turns 3 tomorrow. He isn't taking it as good and who would really. It's hard as a mother watching them go through both Autism and now Diabetes. I feel like there life is going to be so much harder. I will be there every step of the way to get them through all of it. I'm Exhausted I have no help. My family disappeared when they were diagnosed. Not wanting to learn the shots or any of it really. I have no one to ready talk to because they don't understand. And my Husband. Well let's just say. He creates problems for us because I can't give him the attention he needs because.im dealing with all of this. Our relationship is becoming complicated. Because I deal with our kids all day and get exhausted and overwhelmed. He should get it he sees some of it but he doesn't. I was so shocked to see other families on here dealing with both. I'm in the states and couldn't find anything here. I'm here to talk or advice just anything. Thanks

Hi there! Not sure if you are still reading these answers but please hang in there! It's been quite a few weeks since you wrote this so I hope things are much better for you now! There are fantastic groups on Facebook that I think you would love! There are some that are specifically for moms of T1D kids under 5, and then there's another one for T1D moms in general. Most people in the groups seem to be based in the States. Let me know if you are still reading and I will happily share the groups with you if you have trouble finding them on facebook. Big hugs to you and your little warriors!