Porridge & Banana

muppet73

Hello
I am very new to the ins and outs of diabetes as I have gestational diabetes which has been diet controlled for the last month only. Have had only a few high readings in the last couple of weeks due to meals out and a few birthday celebrations but my dietician has given me a week to stablise my figures or she will look at insulin. Am needle phobic so have been very strict this week and figures have been great. However this morning I have had a lie in and breakfast in bed of porridge made with skimmed milk and a banana and my figures tested after 1 hour as requested to do this week was very high for me 12.1 I thought this was the perfect breakfast to have so where have I gone wrong? It was a largeish portion and a large banana and have been in bed ever since to no activity. Could this account for it or is banana one of those hidden things like orange juice that I need to be wary of?

Thanks

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya,
porridge seems to work fine for me so all i can suggest is maybe it was the banana,did u test your blood b4 eating as it may have been high to start with
amanda

muppet73

Hi

I tested when I woke up about and hour before breakfast and got a 4.8 reading thats what was so puzzling.

Oh well we live and learn :)

Thanks for your reply.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya,
your welcome,its all about learning ,whats good for one of us wont work for another,try porridge on its own and see what happens,and dont worry if u need to inject as i hate needles but ive been injecting for 4yrs and its not bad the needles are very small
good luck
amanda

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
hi muppet73,
It's the banana that's causing your problem I'm afraid.
As a general rule the riper the banana then the quicker the carbs will get into your system.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1395467

all the best,
timo.

This post is sponsored by: Big Bob's Banana Emporium
"If you can find cheaper bananas - I'll give you a bunch of five"

muppet73

Thank you for all the posts - it makes sense now. The dietician doesn't seem to have given me much info on carb sizes etc - maybe as it is hopefully only until my baby is born - but they were not very specific on no. of carbs is right for me or anything like that - I will bring this up at my next appointment.

Muppet

donnamum

My daughter age 9 is type 1. We do carb count. but we always have to add extra 1/2 unit on if she has porridge or her reading are in the 20's. It seems to work. Haven't been so lucky with the banana, BG remains very high. so we are avoiding them .

Ozzie

Dislikes
DUK
what did the poor old banana do to anyone :D

my first go at testing and eating properly was a 40g bowl off porridge, good old fashioned quakers oats with semi skimmed milk.

my bs shot to 13 when testing without the help of any old nana.

as a result, egg and bacon and sausage and mushrooms my favorite breakfast. barely nudges the dial above 6

see how important ya tester is :lol:

Ozzie

Dislikes
DUK
just as an add item.

I did notice all those blaming the Banana are type 1s. where as I am but a mere type 2 .

porridge is now off my menu cause i cannot inject medication to cover it. mind bananas are off my menu as well, nasty smelly creatures :lol:

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya all,
as said so many times before,each of us is different, i started porridge a few mnths ago and my bloods after were only 4.8,what suits one of us doesnt another,its all trial and error,we never stop learning
amanda

Rubyjewelz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Illness
Hi

I tested when I woke up about and hour before breakfast and got a 4.8 reading thats what was so puzzling.

Oh well we live and learn :)

Thanks for your reply.
You just have to have almost 2 oz of porrage and half a banana...not much......x

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You just have to have almost 2 oz of porrage and half a banana...not much......x
Just to let you know this is an extremely old thread. The OP has not returned to the thread for some considerable time so may well not respond.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for all the posts - it makes sense now. The dietician doesn't seem to have given me much info on carb sizes etc - maybe as it is hopefully only until my baby is born - but they were not very specific on no. of carbs is right for me or anything like that - I will bring this up at my next appointment.

Muppet
You can also make sure the oats are of the unprocessed variety and have full fat milk to slow down absorption of carbs. A few berries on top or nut butter (almond is nice) may help too and your baby is less likely to get a nut allergy if you eat peanuts whilst growing him/her!
It is going to be useful to know all this stuff as you will doubtless be aware that you are more at risk of going full blown t2 post birth or later.
https://www.carbsandcals.com/app/app
Carbs and cals is a useful guide to portions of everyday foods btw (not the cals bit but the carb count).
Best of luck with your pregnancy and birth!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
"I'm new and i'm just hanging around this site at the moment...x"

It's a good place to hang around that is as long as you ignore my more flippant moments.

Porridge can be ok depending on if you can tolerate it, banana not too bad in small amounts but porridge and banana I wouldn't dare try even now.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I find both bananas and porridge spike my blood, although bananas are worse.
Instead of porridge I have a mix of milled flaxseed, chia seeds and oat bran - made with water and a little coconut milk and served with cinnamon and double cream.
If you want to have cows milk then full fat has lower carbs than skimmed and more vit D3 as well.

I started with half a dessert spoon of chia seeds to one of flaxseed and two of porridge, but gradually swapped over to 2 of flaxseed to one chia and one oatbran. And slowly swapped cows milk for a smaller quantity of coconut milk.

Sumai

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello
I am very new to the ins and outs of diabetes as I have gestational diabetes which has been diet controlled for the last month only. Have had only a few high readings in the last couple of weeks due to meals out and a few birthday celebrations but my dietician has given me a week to stablise my figures or she will look at insulin. Am needle phobic so have been very strict this week and figures have been great. However this morning I have had a lie in and breakfast in bed of porridge made with skimmed milk and a banana and my figures tested after 1 hour as requested to do this week was very high for me 12.1 I thought this was the perfect breakfast to have so where have I gone wrong? It was a largeish portion and a large banana and have been in bed ever since to no activity. Could this account for it or is banana one of those hidden things like orange juice that I need to be wary of?

Thanks

Sumai

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I too had this problem. Breakfast porridge and banana which I had eaten for years. When I started testing I was shocked at the high readings. I changed to eggs for breakfast instead. Maybe I should just cut out banana.