morocco

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
im going to morocco next week for seven days ..marrakesh for two days then the rest in essaouira...
never been before and i will try near enough anything!
any foods i should avoid ?
id like to keep as low carb as possible
can anyone help?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn't worry about the second part of your trip. You will most likely get lost in Marrakesh :) Those souks are maizes.
Seriously, you will love Marrakesh. At least I did. Can't help with the food side of things though. They do serve up a lot of sweet stuff.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Falafel is made out of chickpeas (and sometimes chickpea flour as well), so will be fairly high carb.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Avoid the mint tea, it already has sugar in it. Both destinations are great, have a fab time.

dms1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's been a while since I was there but I remember lots of wonderful salads, cooked and raw, served up as part of a mezze spread. Of course, If you eat dead stuff, Essouira is famed for its seafood. Have a great time!

D

Deleted Account

Marrakesh and Essaouira are amazing. Couscous is abviously carb but there is a lot of meat in Marrakesh (as a non meat eater, I struggled there) and fish in Essaouira.

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Falafel is made out of chickpeas (and sometimes chickpea flour as well), so will be fairly high carb.
thanks for your replies everyone..
i made a chickpea (gram) flour pancake last
night and it didnt raise sugars..
im going to essoaira for the gnaoa festival .. four days of african music and midsummer madness apparently!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I use chickpea flour in batter instead of eggs (cake, quiche etc) and it works brilliantly. (For quiche add a tsp of kala namak and don't add any extra salt). It's a very slow carb simply because it's made out of a legume). Also, I like them!

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
im going to morocco next week for seven days ..marrakesh for two days then the rest in essaouira...
can anyone help?

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i thought i would reply to myself..
i really had the time of my life in essioara at the gnaoao festival..
eating ....no problem.....as here.. avoid what we avoid automaticlly...what i found strange..though....no diet carbonated drinks on sale anywere.....
one could get alcohol if you looked hard enough....

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
i thought i would reply to myself..
i really had the time of my life in essioara at the gnaoao festival..
eating ....no problem.....as here.. avoid what we avoid automaticlly...what i found strange..though....no diet carbonated drinks on sale anywere.....
one could get alcohol if you looked hard enough....
Was that in the club with the dancing guys in hats with tassels? Definitely saw a few tipsy people there!

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was that in the club with the dancing guys in hats with tassels? Definitely saw a few tipsy people there!
they were everywhere ..gnaoaoa or gnawa music tassells repetative beat ...at least a hundred thousand in the crowd ..tinarwaian ,mustafa bagboa..susheela ramaman ,third world,,..loads more..what an experience..... its on youtube,,..ill try and post link ...

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
FjIpcEtcIuA
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

shufur

can anyone help?
fine wine sweet