Start on the omnipod next Wednesday. Any tips?

McOwarth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Doing nothig
So I get fitted with my external pancreas next Wednesday. Been on MDI for 23 years. Big changes lol I'm excited and nervous.
Has anyone got any tips or advice?
Thank you

Reactions: CranberryIce

Jodie1154

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am on the omnipod all I can say is to be patient with it it a a good pump I never look back it the best decision of my life.

Reactions: McOwarth

McOwarth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Doing nothig
I am on the omnipod all I can say is to be patient with it it a a good pump I never look back it the best decision of my life.
I take it it'll take a lot of getting used to go work out doses and stuff

Harrysdad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I started on Pods in April after 35 years of MDI's. The first day not having an injection was proper weird!
I did't find it too tricky getting used to, you've just got to take your time and not be too hard on yourself.

Reactions: McOwarth

Chickenboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's been a total game changer for me. But, you do need to be patient and recognise that there are often challenges that come which you wouldn't have encountered with MDI. The 2 main ones for me are each site has a diffent absorption rate and sensitivity factor. I also find that after insertion I have tob"flood" the site with insulin by giving extra bolus as otherwise my BGs rise significantly. Really you need to constantly monitor it over the first couple of months and take action on the trends you see. Hard work to start with but worth it in the end!

Jeannie87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When you started with your pump - when was the last time you did your basal before starting on the pump? I’m starting a pump tomorrow and I’m confused by my notes as to when the last basal injection should be done! There was so much information the last training day (10
days ago now!) I’ve got confused! We were told to have no basal on board but as to exactly when I should stop the basal is the problem. Any tips welcome x

Chickenboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jeannie87 what basal are you on? It depends on the action time of the basal. If it is 24hrs then you would stop at least 24hrs before and make up any time gaps with short acting insulin. There will always be a bit of an overlap. We ended up having the first few hours on the pump with reduced basals. The first few days are a bit of a learning curve anyway so just make sure you have plenty of juice and sweets with you! ;)

McOwarth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Doing nothig
I was on levemir. Got told to take half my normal dose the night before, and non on the morning if training, but to correct as needed.
1st week has gone okay, currently working through the fasting stages to work on my basal rates