Prediabetes Blood sugar diet

Steph001

Hi I am pre diabetic. According to the doctor my liver function and cholesterol were not good either. Both my parents are type 2 so I’m really trying to understand all this and make some positive changes. I’ve just read the 8 week blood sugar diet, I hope I’m in The right place to ask if this is a good idea or not? It seems quite restrictive but from what I’ve read low carbs should be good for balancing my blood sugar? Many thanks!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Reactions: Steph001

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Steph001 and welcome to the forum.

You are quite right, lowering your carbs will be good for your blood sugars.

Many have found the blood sugar diet to be effective. Personally I’m wary of short term diets - this is an 8 week programme - as at the end of them you’re left with the issue of what to do for the rest of your life. A different strategy might be to look at a low carb way of eating where you make changes you’re confident you will be able to maintain in the long term.

For this I’d recommend looking at the low carb program or the dietdoctor.com website.

I’m also including a link to some great information for new members. Have a good read and ask as many questions as you like.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/

Editing to say I see @Antje77 already sent the link!

Last edited:

Steph001

Thank you both!! I’ve read that link and sounds like low carb is good to try although I will miss my beloved bread . Could you possibly signpost me to the low carb programme you mention. Thanks

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you both!! I’ve read that link and sounds like low carb is good to try although I will miss my beloved bread . Could you possibly signpost me to the low carb programme you mention. Thanks

Certainly. It’s here: https://www.lowcarbprogram.com/

Dietdoctor.com also has a lot of very useful information, recipes and meal plans.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Please have a read around this forum as well, like random. There's a lot of information to be found, and nice people too!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I will miss my beloved bread
emoji24.png
Agree. Missing bread stinks. But you might find you can handle small amounts of it (more likely later in the day) if you decide to use a meter. Many people choose to skip bread altogether, and it may be you'll find that the best way too, but it could also turn out you'll decide to opt for a little bread as a treat :)

Steph001

Agree. Missing bread stinks. But you might find you can handle small amounts of it (more likely later in the day) if you decide to use a meter. Many people choose to skip bread altogether, and it may be you'll find that the best way too, but it could also turn out you'll decide to opt for a little bread as a treat :)

Ah thank you and for the advice too. I will have a look. It seems vast this forum!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
After getting my blood glucose levels down to normal I have been eating Asda's protein bread - which looks like a brown brick, and Livlife from Waitrose. Both are just under 4 gm of carbs per slice, though the Asda one is a lot heavier, and costs more.
My main need for bread is to have with kippers - for some reason I just don't eat kippers without bread, and when Lidl stopped selling their low carb bread I stopped eating kippers.
As you are prediabetic you might find that you do not have to go really low carb to stop it in its tracks - maybe try swapping high carb foods for lower ones - no potatoes or rice but cauliflower, have cauliflower cheese instead of baked potatoes for instance - that is cauliflower with cream cheese, grated cheese and maybe paprika or a little blue cheese, no white sauce.
Having berries instead of higher carb fruits, maybe with cream - and I make a dessert with sugar free jellies and yoghurt which is nice on warm evenings.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with Resurgam. You may find you do not need to eliminate all carbs from your diet. Just reduce them to a low or lower level. Hovis do a low carb bread too.

Scottybail

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It has worked for me.

Have lost 8 kg. Blood sugar now in pre diabetes range.

I think if I lose another 4 kg I will have lost 15pc of body weight. Will then experiment with reductions of metformin.

Steph001

After getting my blood glucose levels down to normal I have been eating Asda's protein bread - which looks like a brown brick, and Livlife from Waitrose. Both are just under 4 gm of carbs per slice, though the Asda one is a lot heavier, and costs more.
My main need for bread is to have with kippers - for some reason I just don't eat kippers without bread, and when Lidl stopped selling their low carb bread I stopped eating kippers.
As you are prediabetic you might find that you do not have to go really low carb to stop it in its tracks - maybe try swapping high carb foods for lower ones - no potatoes or rice but cauliflower, have cauliflower cheese instead of baked potatoes for instance - that is cauliflower with cream cheese, grated cheese and maybe paprika or a little blue cheese, no white sauce.
Having berries instead of higher carb fruits, maybe with cream - and I make a dessert with sugar free jellies and yoghurt which is nice on warm evenings.

Thanks, great tips. I tried cauliflower rice tonight. Not too bad!

Steph001

I agree with Resurgam. You may find you do not need to eliminate all carbs from your diet. Just reduce them to a low or lower level. Hovis do a low carb bread too.

Thanks I will start reading the packets and looking at carb counts

Steph001

It has worked for me.

Have lost 8 kg. Blood sugar now in pre diabetes range.

I think if I lose another 4 kg I will have lost 15pc of body weight. Will then experiment with reductions of metformin.

Thanks for letting me know and well done!! Did you feel hungry and have you had to cook a lot more? I’m not a fan of cooking but made myself tonight the vege curry and cauliflower rice from the book.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. The Blood Sugar diet may well help but it is just another of Dr Mosley's diets arranged really to sell his books (sorry!). So doing it won't do any harm but you may find it just as successful to have a LCHF diet i.e. keep the carbs down and have enough fats and proteins to keep you feeling full.