DLA ending letter & PIP application

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
I got transferred from both full care and mobility indefinite DLA to PIP 2 years ago, after the face to face assessment I was downgraded to lower care just 2 points short of full. I asked for the assessor's report and mandatory reconsideration, came back no change despite the report having blatant lies on, ignoring my answers and saying I'd said things I hadn't. So I went to tribunal very scary, but they agreed with me, as they do in over 75% of cases and gave me an extra 5 points. But still for three years however if I've got it right they will just do a soft assessment whatever that is next year.
Benefits and work are excellent, you have to pay but have excellent guidance on how to answer the form. As you were too stressed to go to the assessment demand a home visit, most home visits result in no change of DLA or higher points.
It is a dreadful thing to go through on your own couldn't one of your drivers be with you? Or do you have any disability groups who could provide someone to help you with all of this?
You do have to be strong but you are entitled to your benefits so don't give up.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I used to help with DLA and ESA applications, including going to assessments and also did my own tribunal a few years ago (I went alone to the assessment and the Dr's report in parts bore no relationship to what I had said) but am a little rusty as I've only done one PIP assessment as supporter.
It is important to tell them in advance that you want it recorded unless someone can go with you (I would take some notes as well as prompting the interviewee.)
As for embarrassing things, I prompted one to talk about their incontinence that is caused by a neurological condition - it added in extra points.
If you want to PM me for advice please do.

Reactions: Kevin259

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I ended up canceling my f2f assessment. The anxiety was too much. My biggest fear is they revoke my drivers because i have to base my assessment on the worst day. Also, the basic questions about pets etc. I live alone, have a dog. Dont want to lie. Walking the dog can be difficult at times but he is my life as i live alone. If I have to go through this process every 2 years, it would be far too stressfull on my health. As it is, my BG as been in the 20's this week due to all this anxiety and stress.
PIP opens door to other things, eg the blue badge, a bus pass, extra points for an application for an adapted council bungalow if you need one in the future.

Please ask them if you can rebook and explain you were having a bad day and too ill to attend. Follow this up in writing so they can't say they didn't know. Then please get someone to go with you.

PAULSERLE66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Omnipod. You really have to ham up your issues with the assessor. I applied for PIP 5 years ago following a brain bleed stroke. I had to learn how to walk and write again. here was a 47 year old having to get back to basics. The stroke left me with nerve damage where the catheter was inserted in an artery in my groin so that some coils could be used to close up the gap in the artery that had burst. I lost part of my left hand side peripheral vision thus not being able to drive anymore after driving nearly 30 years on a clean licence, and i do walk into things on my left hand side as i do not see them when walking now, the stroke left me with spacial awareness issues too. Judging the speed and distances of cars away from me trying to cross the road is not something i would recommend so i try to find a nearby pelican crossing to cross the road. . Two years after the stroke, seemingly the stroke stopped my pancreas working, thus i am now a type 1 Diabetic. I work full time but I have had to readjust and my employer has given me different duties that i can carry out which i am grateful of. I am the first person in my family that has been diagnosed as being any type of diabetic. I applied for PIP thinking that if other people can apply and get PIP for what i believe are much less medical issues and after seeing the assessor and being more than truthful with my answers, i was refused. I do get help though with the DWP's Access To Work scheme which i am happy with. I order a taxi which takes me to work and then get another taxi after I have finished at the office. The DWP pay 75% of the fare. Good luuck though Omnipod.

Woohoooman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all

I was awarded DLA indefinitely a number of years ago and today I got the letter advising me to call the number as I need to re apply for PIP.
Has anyone been through this?
I worry as I have read all sorts of scary stories online about the assessment and the trickery by the assessors. I also read through the online PIP assessment and the questions are written very differently to the old DVLA questions.

Any advice will be appreciated.
I do drive as I live alone and need to get to work and back. Would that count against me? With DLA, driving was not a problem. I do have the provisional drivers and get assessed by DVLA every 3 years.

If you prefer to PM me, that is ok too as I know some of this can be private and uncomfortable to put on this forum.

Thank you.
Hi, my wife is T2 but is also Bipolar and was on top rate for personal care and mobility and was on DLA for over 10 years. Last year she was asked he the to go for a PIP assessment where assessor lies about specific things and as a result she was awarded PIP with standards so rate of daily living and no mobility. We asked for a reconsideration but same result. We appealed on the basis that assessor failed to take into account the full extent of my wife’s physical and mental issues, this was 07/07/2018 saying that we would rely on the paperwork submitted. After waiting a year the appeal was adjourned with judge asking for medical records and then asked for my wife to attend which was on 17/06/2019 the outcome of the appeal was to restore my wife to enhanced rate for fail living and mobility for 5 years and backdated to may 25th last year. The DWP got the information on 18/06/19 but have yet to pay my wife on the grounds of a backlog of cases, initially 4 weeks but extended to 6 weeks. A point to beat is that you must go with someone, Is their an advocacy service in you area?Hope this helps? Use the PIP guidelines when you complete PIP form.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I too had a similar letter and am being migrated over to pip, maybe.

I am awaiting their decision at the moment I had assessment at home and the guy was not too bad and he had researched my conditions prior to the appointment but you cannot take them (assessors) at face value.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It seems key to understand the full meaning of words for example "cooking" includes peeling and chopping eg, not just using frozen ready cut veg.
Another important thing to remember is if your health condition gives intermittent symptoms meaning you are not able to complete a task for at least 50% of the time it is regarded that you are unable to complete the task at all. Also, in assessing ability to, for example, walk 20 metres you need to be able to do this ‘reliably, repeatedly, and in a timely manner’. This is open to interpretation, but thought to mean you should be able to walk that distance, whenever required, several times, without needing considerable breaks, or pain, and in the time taken by someone of similar age without impairment. So if you can’t, then you are deemed to be unable to do that task. This is where many people make the error of thinking that if they can manage some of the time, and it causes pain or distress, they have to state they are able to manage it. That can make the difference between being awarded a benefit or not.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Agreed @Pipp, my wife may even get the low rate mobility due to being unable to cope with ice, bad weather or the risk of people bumping into her.

Last edited:

knoxy55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Anything to do with birds or feathers, whether to look at or eat.
Thank you.
I got my huge pack in the post to complete before the 28 June. Did you have the assessment? I worry because I dont have any family or a partner to go with me.
Take a copy of your application form with you so you can refer to the answers. As you say the assessor can be a bit off putting. Any other things that you can think of write down and take into the interview with you. If you are turned down, go to your MP's office for help with the appeal. Hope this helps.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry for adding to this in dribs and drabs. If you are called to an assessment centre, make sure you ask for an environment to suit your requirements regarding your health condition. For example, if you have difficulty walking and using stairs ask for ground floor assessment room, with no steps, close to entrance.

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
I ended up canceling my f2f assessment. The anxiety was too much. My biggest fear is they revoke my drivers because i have to base my assessment on the worst day. Also, the basic questions about pets etc. I live alone, have a dog. Dont want to lie. Walking the dog can be difficult at times but he is my life as i live alone. If I have to go through this process every 2 years, it would be far too stressfull on my health. As it is, my BG as been in the 20's this week due to all this anxiety and stress.

Oh no. Please don't let anxiety and stress put you off getting what you are entitled to.

The DWP have nothing to do with driver's licences and are not allowed to contact other people about you without your permission. On the form you give permission for them to contact your GP and other medical professionals, not including the DVLA. As an insulin dependent diabetic you should be getting reviewed every three years anyway.

I have three dogs. Sometimes I just can't walk them, and they have to put up with exercise in the garden. When I do walk them I am in pain and do so extremely slowly - this means it DOESN'T COUNT as walking.

If your conditions are not going to get better, only worse the DWP are now handing out longer term awards. Neuropathy is a bit tricky because some cases can get better. I would advise getting a letter or an extract from your medical notes stating it isn't going to get better.

I fully understand about the stress. I went to my face2face, and the stress triggered extreme abdominal pain which I thought was another kidney stone, I ended up with an emergency admittance to hospital the same day. It did help in the mandatory reconsideration when I pointed out the stress (which was invisible to the assessor) put me in hospital.

There are lots of groups out there that can provide some one to go with you. Heck, if you're in Cheshire I'll go with you.

Please phone them up and ask for a home assessment, because attending a face2face makes you too ill.

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi omnipod
Yes I drive and hold down a full time job as a practice manager for a GP surgery. DVLA aware as I also use insulin and have sleep apnoea. My pain is neuropathic in nature but I have not lost any feeling. Remember cars can be adapted to hand control etc I don't believe these departments link up in any way and the data required by DVLA is always specific so I can't see one impacting on the other.

Reactions: ringi

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you everyone. I managed to re schedule an assessment, this time in Redhill, Surrey. Now I just need to find somebody who will go with me

Reactions: Daphne917

Ladybird1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

I was awarded DLA indefinitely a number of years ago and today I got the letter advising me to call the number as I need to re apply for PIP.
Has anyone been through this?
I worry as I have read all sorts of scary stories online about the assessment and the trickery by the assessors. I also read through the online PIP assessment and the questions are written very differently to the old DVLA questions.

Any advice will be appreciated.
I do drive as I live alone and need to get to work and back. Would that count against me? With DLA, driving was not a problem. I do have the provisional drivers and get assessed by DVLA every 3 years.

If you prefer to PM me, that is ok too as I know some of this can be private and uncomfortable to put on this forum.

Thank you.
I was given DLA for life, then like you I've had to apply for PIP. I'm just going through the process now. Good luck with it