Type 2 T2 not in control.

tim32

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am taking 4 Sukkarto a day, 2 in the am 2 in the pm, I’m on a LCHF diet, but cannot get my blood sugars below 9.5, I took the Sukkarto for 4 months without the diet and my readings were all over 15mmol, I’m thinking I may not be T2, what does the forum think?

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I feel your pain, I have been in your exact situation with maybe a little worse numbers. As far as I know you can still be type 2, I believe I am. It is very disheartening when you feel like you are doing eveything you can but nothing seems to work.

There a other drugs you can be prescribed to take along side the sukkarto, in my experience this drug is very safe and useful but has very little actual effect on bg numbers, maybe you need to have a chat with your medics

Best wishes

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can you tell us everything you are yesterday please. Maybe we can tweak something.

tim32

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you tell us everything you are yesterday please. Maybe we can tweak something.

Scrambled eggs with double cream for breakfast, salami and hard cheese for lunch, steak mushrooms and asparagus for tea.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@tim32 nice menu. A couple more questions, if I may.

How long have you been eating LCHF? And how often - and when - are you testing?

tim32

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@tim32 nice menu. A couple more questions, if I may.

How long have you been eating LCHF? And how often - and when - are you testing?

1 month LCHF (this time) just random testing, don’t generally bother in the morning It’s always higher, mainly testing 2 hours after food, or mid afternoon when I’m home from work.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
1 month LCHF (this time) just random testing, don’t generally bother in the morning It’s always higher, mainly testing 2 hours after food, or mid afternoon when I’m home from work.

Hi. Thanks for the response. In that case, I’d suggest testing more systematically before concluding that LCHF isn’t working. A month isn’t long and you’ve had quite a reduction from readings over 15 to 9.5.

Specifically, would suggest testing immediately before eating and again 2 hours after eating so that you can detect patterns and see how your readings are progressing over time. I’m away from home so don’t have access to all my data, but am certain that it took well over a month for BG levels to drop consistently.

If you’re so minded, you might also consider eating in a narrower ‘window’ so that you reduce the burden on your pancreas. Skipping breakfast (or dinner if that’s easier for you) so that you’re in a fasted state for longer each day can work wonders for blood glucose control. It was certainly a game changer for me.

tim32

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. Thanks for the response. In that case, I’d suggest testing more systematically before concluding that LCHF isn’t working. A month isn’t long and you’ve had quite a reduction from readings over 15 to 9.5.

Specifically, would suggest testing immediately before eating and again 2 hours after eating so that you can detect patterns and see how your readings are progressing over time. I’m away from home so don’t have access to all my data, but am certain that it took well over a month for BG levels to drop consistently.

If you’re so minded, you might also consider eating in a narrower ‘window’ so that you reduce the burden on your pancreas. Skipping breakfast (or dinner if that’s easier for you) so that you’re in a fasted state for longer each day can work wonders for blood glucose control. It was certainly a game changer for me.

Thanks for the advice, I will try a longer fasting period and see how I get on.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the advice, I will try a longer fasting period and see how I get on.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. I really think being consistent - especially in the early days/when making a change - is important to understanding what does and doesn’t work for you. And patience! Not everyone responds at the same pace or in the same ways as others. And importantly, you need to be enjoying what, how and when you eat so that you can sustain it if you find an approach that works.

Reactions: tim32

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I do like to warn people that when things don't make sense, that you could be a misdiagnosed type 1. I was and it still happens to this day. The latest figures are 38% of type 1's are misdiagnosed at first and 50% of type 1/LADAs occur after the age of 30, I was 46 when it first started developing. .

Type 1's LADAs make some insulin until they don't, which is a process that can take many years. So medications, low carbing can seemingly seem to help at the beginning and then eventually won't. Type 1's need insulin.

If you are doing everything right and your numbers keep climbing it is a possibility and ask for blood work to be done.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
A low carb diet is usually such a powerful tool for lowering blood glucose that it is rather strange that it is not working if you are a correctly diagnosed type two.

tim32

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So , had the results of my Hba1c, it’s down from 90 in Feb to 60, I’m classing that as a good result, the nurse is telling me I MUST, increase my carb intake, then she is going to give me more tablets to control by blood sugar. Gliptins or Glitozones, I think that’s treating the symptoms not the cause, also won’t authorise any more tests, so if it is type 1.5 we won’t know until I’m on a cocktail of drugs that don’t work. Have only had 1 double figure reading of 10 mmol/l in the past 10 days.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the nurse is telling me I MUST, increase my carb intake,
Did she happen to say why?
then she is going to give me more tablets to control by blood sugar. Gliptins or Glitozones,
So she wants you to eat more carbs and will then give you more drugs to lower your blood sugars.. hmmmm

But great news on the HbA1c it's certainly going in the right direction..maybe carry on as you have been doing?

tim32

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did she happen to say why?

So she wants you to eat more carbs and will then give you more drugs to lower your blood sugars.. hmmmm

But great news on the HbA1c it's certainly going in the right direction..maybe carry on as you have been doing?

Apparently you die a horrible and painful slow death without Carbs, A bit like the death with Carbs.