Type 2 and Prostrate cancer...

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed T2 just over 5 years ago and took the LCHF with lots of walking and it seems to be under control.

I am 61 and recently wondered about my waterworks, especially first thing the morning, the flow is never the best. Examinations and scans followed with a diagnosis of Prostrate cancer.
Two options, surgery and remove it all or hormones and radio. Saw the surgeon yesterday and will meet oncology at the end of the month. The bone scan was clear and it seems the bad boy cells are still restricted to the inside of the gland.

I'm on holiday at the moment and being make redundant at the end of August, so it is all going pretty well.....

This note is really to ask folk with T2 who have been through prostrate cancer how they managed their T2. I'm pretty sure which ever way I go the exercise bit might not be so easy and am likely to have to watch my diet a little more closely.

I would be grateful if you could share your experience and note anything I should look out for.

Thank you for reading this.

Hj

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@hankjam - I'm so sorry to hear of your diagnosis, but fantastically well done for seeking guidance on something you sort of knew wasn't quite right. I attended a health day recently, run by our local council, where the Prostate Cancer UK had a stand. (https://prostatecanceruk.org/?utm_s...RCZse6s8C_rdyimvMsSgJYQ6zo9wJJ5xoC57IQAvD_BwE)

I was having a chat with the guys there, not for myself (being a person with lady bumps), but out of interest and raising my own awareness for my OH. I honestly can't recall the stats they mentioned, but they demonstrated loud and clear how poor men can be, in terms of volunteering to consult a medic. Well done to you for doing that.

Good luck with it all, and keep us in the loop. I'm certain everyone wishes you well.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I would be grateful if you could share your experience and note anything I should look out for.

Hi @hankjam, I have been type II for 22 years now and have also recently been diagnosed with prostate cancer. I consider myself very lucky because I have not really had any symptoms and it was only discovered while I was having an investigation into a "polyp" in my bladder. The diagnosis was confirmed after a biopsy, but as my PSA is low, in the ones, there is no treatment at the moment. They will monitor my PSA which I will now have every three months.

As for diet, I have been following a low carb diet (<50gms per day) for about 6 years. In my circle of friends there are three people with cancer, all of whom have followed a low carb/keto diet in conjunction with chemo etc. One has even written a book "Eat to OUTSMART cancer". I'm definitely keeping an open mind on the subject of cancer and diet

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A golf pal of my husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer in his 60's
He refused an operation and just had medication and he lived for nearly another 20 years into his mid 80's without to much problem and he did not let it stop him from having a near normal life. It did spread to his spine eventually but he still played golf having reduced it to 9 holes and going round the course in his mobility scooter it was only in his last year that he had to give it up he did not have diabetes though so I do not know how that would affect prostate cancer

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
He refused an operation and just had medication

My father was diagnosed in his early 70s and lived until he was 92. A quote I have now heard from several sources is "something else will kill you before . . . . . ", that's not to understate how serious this is. I think surgery is down to what stage the cancer is at. My father received chemo and radio, whereas my friend, not quite 70, had the prostate gland removed immediately.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is of no help to @hankjam who has my sympathy and my very best wishes that it all works out ok, but in case anyone else is interested in this subject......
I had prostate symptoms and had the PSA test and the dreaded, but actually ok, digital examination. Neither test is conclusive in older men as men over 50 have a 50% chance of having an enlarged prostate, while men over 80 have a 90% chance of having the condition. Those tests do not distinguish between the benign and cancerous condition and are only an indication as to whether further tests are needed. My condition was judged not serious (yet) and I will have the test again in a year to see if there is any change. My symptoms have been cleared up with alpha blockers, aptly named FloMax. The doctor told me that all men would eventually develop prostate cancer if they lived long enough.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Those tests do not distinguish between the benign and cancerous condition and are only an indication as to whether further tests are needed.
I think it's worth mentioning, to any man who might have to have a biopsy done, the consultant advised me that each time a sample was taken, it would feel like being flicked with an elastic band . . . . . . . and that was all I felt.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it's worth mentioning, to any man who might have to have a biopsy done, the consultant advised me that each time a sample was taken, it would feel like being flicked with an elastic band . . . . . . . and that was all I felt.

Mine must have been a double elastic band then, but once the routine was going it was okay, shock of the new. Not something I would like to repeat though. :)

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My father was diagnosed in his early 70s and lived until he was 92. A quote I have now heard from several sources is "something else will kill you before . . . . . ", that's not to understate how serious this is. I think surgery is down to what stage the cancer is at. My father received chemo and radio, whereas my friend, not quite 70, had the prostate gland removed immediately.
My husbands friend refused not only the operation but also no radio and chemotherapy he said he did not want anything that may make him feel ill while he was still feeling so well because he wanted to enjoy what time he had left. He was thinking two or three years at the most but made it to almost 20

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
. . . . . . shock of the news.

Weirdly, maybe because my father had already survived umpteen years, I was prepared for the worst, but the heart did sink a bit when I was informed by a McMillan nurse and not the consultant. The only anxiety I have is that will miss a regular blood test or not recognise a symptom.

Reactions: jjraak

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Weirdly, maybe because my father had already survived umpteen years, I was prepared for the worst, but the heart did sink a bit when I was informed by a McMillan nurse and not the consultant. The only anxiety I have is that will miss a regular blood test or not recognise a symptom.

Hi @DavidGrahamJones thank you for your replies. The issue of over treating appears quite often in relation to prostrate cancer, there was an article in the Oldie a couple of issues back. I was quite willing to tell myself, "it's still early, I'm young(ish)". My team at the hospital really didn't consider doing anything else but get it treated as soon as... so that's what I'm going to do. Got Oncology at the end of the month and then will make a decision as to what I am going to do.
Mark those tests on the wall/phone/fridge please. :)
Take care

Reactions: jjraak and DCUKMod

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
My team at the hospital really didn't consider doing anything else but get it treated as soon as...

Absolutely, I don't think it's to be messed with, I'm slightly surprised that my treatment is just to keep an eye on it with a regular PSA test, which isn't the be all and end all of diagnosis. I hope all goes well, I'm sure it will.

Edit: to clarify

Last sentence applies to you and as an after thought, me as well. LOL

Last edited:

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @DavidGrahamJones thank you for your replies. The issue of over treating appears quite often in relation to prostrate cancer, there was an article in the Oldie a couple of issues back. I was quite willing to tell myself, "it's still early, I'm young(ish)". My team at the hospital really didn't consider doing anything else but get it treated as soon as... so that's what I'm going to do. Got Oncology at the end of the month and then will make a decision as to what I am going to do.
Mark those tests on the wall/phone/fridge please. :)
Take care

Good afternoon "hanljam"

I have been Type 2 Diabetic since I was about 50 - I am now 77 and been on Insulin for about 7 years and on LCHF for about 4 years. I did not have any of the symptoms of Prostate cancer but took a PSA test in May last year to put my mind at rest that I did not have Prostate Cancer.

PSA result 22.6 - now the long journey begins. Scans and Biopsy (14 samples) showed that I had Prostate Cancer with a reading of 4+4 = 8 which means that it was in the agressive league. Fortunately it is confined to the Prostate and has not travelled to the bones or other part of my body.

I decided on Prostate removal - not allowed because I am too old. I asked about Cryogenic freezing of Prostate - not available and only a new technology. Then I asked about the possibility of meeting other Prostate Cancer sufferers - cannot obtain names or addresses because of "Data Security" legislation. I was offered Radio Therapy and Hormone Therapy or nothing but warned that if I delayed it could spread to other organs.

The written information pack they gave me scared me to death - all those side effects and only 70% success rate. Nobody to talk to who "had been there". Macmillan could only give me a load of literature which just added to the fear. A retired nurse working at "Cancer Focus" who had worked for many years on Cancer wards put my mind at rest.

I read on the Internet that the University of Oxford Hospital did research on 38,000 men in the Uk with Prostate Cancer - Group A 50% they gave the normal treatments to and Group B 50% they gave no treatment to. After 10 years 99% of Group A were still alive and the other 1% died of something else. After the same 10 years 98% of Group B were still alive and the other 2% died of something else. Result? Whether you have treatment or no treatment your chances of living another 10 years are good.

I agreed to the Radio Therapy (37 doses) but refused the Hormone Therapy (it only adds 7% to your success rate) basically because it is a "sex change" drug which destroys the Testosterone (male hormone) in the body which causes bodily hair to fall off, you put on up to a stone weight, you tend to grow small breasts and generally your sex life is over (which might cause problems in your marriage). But not everyone has all these symptoms - but you might.

At the end of the treatment my PSA was down to 15.16 and two weeks ago (after 3 months) was down to 9.75 - so things are going in thr right direction.

Diet is also important. I now do not drink tea or coffee but drink Green Tea, Mint Tea, Peppermint Tea. I eat Kippers, fried Tomatoes and Mushrooms for breakfast. No lunch but snack on fruit (not apples too much sugar). For evening meals I eat Oily Fish (Salmond, Bass, etc) plenty of greens - no potatoes, carrotts, parsnips, turnips, swede - NO RED MEAT - but Chicken and Turkey are OK. I also avoid milk & cheese - but eat butter but no more that two slices of wholemeal bread per day.

Fasting Blood Sugar is usually between 4.6 and 6.4 each morning.

I hope this helps

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good afternoon "hanljam"

I have been Type 2 Diabetic since I was about 50 - I am now 77 and been on Insulin for about 7 years and on LCHF for about 4 years. I did not have any of the symptoms of Prostate cancer but took a PSA test in May last year to put my mind at rest that I did not have Prostate Cancer.

PSA result 22.6 - now the long journey begins. <snipped>

Hello @Kyambala > It really does. Apologies for not replying more promptly, was away getting myself a bit more together. I had my meeting with Oncology last week, which followed the surgeon earlier last month. It's now time to make a decision. I am "fortunate" in that I have three options, surgery, ext radiation and brachytherapy. The ext radiation is my least favoured option, as you say hormones and then 20 fractions, with all that entails. How did you get on with it? It does sound really exhausting... the young registrar was really not selling it to us too well, which he freely admitted. My wife and I thought he was pushing for the brachytherapy.

Surgery removes it... bladder issues seem to be the medium issue.
Brachytherapy seems the least invasive and is meant to have the same outcomes as the other two.

Been reading the PC web site and one example stood out, someone in exactly the same position as myself, Gleeson 7, not escaped, early 60's who did nothing and 10 years later is now full on and does not regret his choice. I think I would, so will be making my mind up soon. It's complicated in that I am just about to be made redundant and unlikely to find a similar job in this area anytime soon and my wife and I have a 25 year autistic son to car for.
I would say I have let my LCHF go a bit but don't have any doubts when push comes to shove the double regime will be coped with.
I wish you well.

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had my prostate removed 11 months ago, unfortunately, despite negative surgical margins, I have cancer cells in adjacent tissue. Because I had surgery I now have the option of radiotherapy as well as hormone treatment to remove and/or control the residue. Oncology appointment is awaited.

As far as my T2 is concerned because of post op. side effects the amount of exercise I have been able to take has been reduced and as a consequence I have put on some weight. My Hba1c has risen, not hugely, but it has risen. I am fairly relaxed about it at the moment and have, as the side effects have reduced, increased my exercise but not yet to pre op. levels.

If you have surgery or radiotherapy you will suffer urinary incontinence to a greater or lesser extent. It will be more or less disabling depending upon you. Start pelvic floor exercises pre treatment and as soon as possible.

Have a look at https://prostatecanceruk.org, talk seriously with your surgeon and oncologist about side effects and take your time making your decision.

I cannot advise which course is best for you but wish you the best of luck.

You can PM me if there is anything further that I can offer.

Reactions: jjraak and Kyambala

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had my prostate removed 11 months ago, unfortunately, despite negative surgical margins, I have cancer cells in adjacent tissue. Because I had surgery I now have the option of radiotherapy as well as hormone treatment to remove and/or control the residue. Oncology appointment is awaited.

As far as my T2 is concerned because of post op. side effects the amount of exercise I have been able to take has been reduced and as a consequence I have put on some weight. My Hba1c has risen, not hugely, but it has risen. I am fairly relaxed about it at the moment and have, as the side effects have reduced, increased my exercise but not yet to pre op. levels.

If you have surgery or radiotherapy you will suffer urinary incontinence to a greater or lesser extent. It will be more or less disabling depending upon you. Start pelvic floor exercises pre treatment and as soon as possible.

Have a look at https://prostatecanceruk.org, talk seriously with your surgeon and oncologist about side effects and take your time making your decision.

I cannot advise which course is best for you but wish you the best of luck.

You can PM me if there is anything further that I can offer.
Hello @Bittern Thank you for your offer to PM, I likely will in the near future.
I wish you well.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @Kyambala > It really does. Apologies for not replying more promptly, was away getting myself a bit more together. I had my meeting with Oncology last week, which followed the surgeon earlier last month. It's now time to make a decision. I am "fortunate" in that I have three options, surgery, ext radiation and brachytherapy. The ext radiation is my least favoured option, as you say hormones and then 20 fractions, with all that entails. How did you get on with it? It does sound really exhausting... the young registrar was really not selling it to us too well, which he freely admitted. My wife and I thought he was pushing for the brachytherapy.

Surgery removes it... bladder issues seem to be the medium issue.
Brachytherapy seems the least invasive and is meant to have the same outcomes as the other two.

Been reading the PC web site and one example stood out, someone in exactly the same position as myself, Gleeson 7, not escaped, early 60's who did nothing and 10 years later is now full on and does not regret his choice. I think I would, so will be making my mind up soon. It's complicated in that I am just about to be made redundant and unlikely to find a similar job in this area anytime soon and my wife and I have a 25 year autistic son to car for.
I would say I have let my LCHF go a bit but don't have any doubts when push comes to shove the double regime will be coped with.
I wish you well.

Hello again "Hankjam"

Thanks for replying, first of all I cannot advise you - I can only tell you of my experience and the difficulty I had in trying to find "someone" who had "been there" and how they felt now. I still have that difficulty - and everybody's experience will be different. Professional medical people, God bless them, give you their best advice according to what they have been taught - they are part of a "mould" of opinion. They are NOT trying to protect their jobs - they earnestly want to see you healed.

Not long ago the NHS advised Diabetics to build their eating habits around CARBS - Diabetes UK, and others, fought long and hard to change the "mindset" of the NHS to accept LCHF as a better diet. Over the past couple of years I have seen some Doctors and Diabetic Nurses actually recommending LCHF - so the NHS seems to be changing its mind on diet.

If I were to give you any advice, and I'm not - I would say "speak to as many patients as possible who have had the different types of treatment and also those who have had "no treatment" then in conjunction with your wife come to a decision. Whatever decision you make it will be life changing - or it could be life ending.

But remember - Diet is also important. I now do not drink tea or coffee but drink Green Tea, Mint Tea, Peppermint Tea. I eat Kippers, fried Tomatoes and Mushrooms for breakfast. No lunch but snack on fruit (not apples too much sugar). For evening meals I eat Oily Fish (Salmond, Bass, etc) plenty of greens - no potatoes, carrotts, parsnips, turnips, swede - NO RED MEAT - but Chicken and Turkey are OK. I also avoid milk & cheese - but eat butter but no more that two slices of wholemeal bread per day.

I am pleased with my decision - but I still lack energy and stamina, although I do cut the grass, trim the hedge, and wash the dishes - otherwise my wife does everything. I am almost 78, my father died at 79 and my older brother died at 81 - so I mught not really have many years left anyway. The Church I attend has been very supportive and I know that I am in their prayers.

All the best for your future. You can also contact me with a PM if that helps.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
gents have nothing personal to me to add, except respect for how you are dealing with the various stages.

BUT my dad did have this, so as a worried son i googled and became aware of the psa regime.
sure many of you know, but just in case, a good few or the skandi countries, don't action anything at first
instance..they practice a "watchful waiting"

a quick trawl and i found this 'active' surveillance'
https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/870654

I can't make suggestions as to what way others must choose, i just leave it here for your perusal
and added information.

Dad was Dx in 2000, doctors could offer no immediate treatment to cure as was terminal
only treatment to assist...dad took estrogen patches, with the side effects of weight gain among others.
he was pretty mobile, always on the case mentally, but declined over the last year,
Lost him 2009. Much missed.

So even at a late stage, without hope, he lasted a good while with it.

@hankjam
best wishes for a successful choice of treatments
and one which bestows great benefits and limits to the side effects.

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Hankjam,
I had a bilateral stage 3 prostate cancer 16 years ago. I had eight weeks radiotherapy and three years hormone therapy. Sixteen years later I am still in remission with a PSA below 0.01!

You need to know your status by a bone scan.
Small cancers can seed your body.
No doubt your tumour has been staged and you have a Gleason score.

I would try to get to best cancer centre you can. I went to one 75 miles away and it was excellent, the local one just offered me palliative treatment.
It's what's best best for you, I know of stage two's who were operated on and the cancer was not cleared and one who is now dead.
If you want me to answer any questions please send me a pm.
Whatever you decide, best wishes.

Your T2D by comparison is like putting out a burning dog kennel when the house is on fire!
Best wishes
Derek

I was diagnosed T2 just over 5 years ago and took the LCHF with lots of walking and it seems to be under control.

I am 61 and recently wondered about my waterworks, especially first thing the morning, the flow is never the best. Examinations and scans followed with a diagnosis of Prostrate cancer.
Two options, surgery and remove it all or hormones and radio. Saw the surgeon yesterday and will meet oncology at the end of the month. The bone scan was clear and it seems the bad boy cells are still restricted to the inside of the gland.

I'm on holiday at the moment and being make redundant at the end of August, so it is all going pretty well.....

This note is really to ask folk with T2 who have been through prostrate cancer how they managed their T2. I'm pretty sure which ever way I go the exercise bit might not be so easy and am likely to have to watch my diet a little more closely.

Thank you for reading this.

Hj

Last edited: