Anyone seen the documentary What the Health (netflix)??

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Flora123 I was about to tick the Winner box, but then I realized that would peobably upset some of our vegetarian readers. I am assuming you are posting because you find that resuming meat is working for you, but I could be wrong in that, We all have to find out what suits us, and I guess you would not have posted if you were not benefitting from the change. Well Done in doing the research,

Reactions: Flora123

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The thing is 'it takes all sorts' to make this world work. We need everyone to eat what suits them best personally. That's good sense if it leads to better health all round. Common sense again. We need vegans, vegetarians and meat eaters and all the other variations in between. We need that rich tapestry. What we don't need is people manipulating others into changing their diet for the wrong reasons. And yep the worst reason is the greed of those shouting the loudest.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, most of the independent documentaries these days are being made via public fundraising.

As well as "Sacred Cow" (referred to in my earlier reply to you), there is another documentary called "Food Lies" that is currently being made:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/295524491/food-lies-film

Both "Sacred Cow" and "Food Lies" have podcasts associated with the film, where the respective hosts, Diana Rodgers and Brian Sanders post longer form interviews with the experts appearing in the films.

Diana's podcast is called "Sustainable Dish": https://sustainabledish.com/podcasts/
Brian's podcast is called "Peak Human": https://www.peak-human.com/

Vinnie Tortorich from the long running Fitness Confidential podcast has also released a doco (AFAIK so far available on Itunes and Vimeo) called "Fat". This is the trailer:

Just adding details of Fat Documentary's availability - now available for pre-order on Itunes & Vimeo. Will be released on 30th July, 2019.

Itunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/fat-a-documentary/id1467991339
Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/ondemand/fatadocu...P7FnhecYIEENB15KjLz99XuJ3zcqM85MOVcHWjbfr7h84

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
t entirely negates everything on this forum - and more to the point everything I'm experiencing in my own weight loss and BS control on the low carb diet - apparently it's not sugar and carbs that's the problem it's fats and animal proteins ....arrrgh ! Don't you just hate all the contradictory information ??????? I'm sticking to what's working for me and blow the crazy american doctors !! (according to them chicken is one of the worst things you can eat !!!!! - maybe their getting it confused with the Kentucky Fried sort!)

Simply vegan propaganda. I think you'll find those who make outlandish claims are bankrolled by vegan groups and PETA.

M

Member496333

Just adding details of Fat Documentary's availability - now available for pre-order on Itunes & Vimeo. Will be released on 30th July, 2019.

Itunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/fat-a-documentary/id1467991339
Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/ondemand/fatadocu...P7FnhecYIEENB15KjLz99XuJ3zcqM85MOVcHWjbfr7h84

Thanks for the release date info. I preordered it on iTunes as soon as it became available. Posted a thread on here about it, but it will have dropped off the front page a long time ago. Really looking forward to this movie.

EDIT: Nope. Here it is :)

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/fat-a-documentary-itunes-preorder-£9-99.165410/

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Flora123 I was about to tick the Winner box, but then I realized that would peobably upset some of our vegetarian readers. I am assuming you are posting because you find that resuming meat is working for you, but I could be wrong in that, We all have to find out what suits us, and I guess you would not have posted if you were not benefitting from the change. Well Done in doing the research,

I am posting to say exactly that. Changing back to meat has transformed my life (back to what it was before my veggie days). With hindsight, although my veggie diet was plant based and whole foods, it was high carb - sweet potatoes, beans, lentils etc - none of which I realise I can tolerate. By going very low carb initially my levels dropped within two weeks. I have more energy, my skin is better, hair and nails better and I’ve managed to maintain my weight as I don’t need to lose any. I’m more chilled and have an inner calm. I was a very committed vegetarian and it took a while to get my head round changing, but my family are too important not to give it a go so save my health. To try and ease my conscience I only buy locally raised grass fed meat and free range organic poultry which is expensive but I just buy less if it and cheaper cuts.

I totally agree everyone has to find what works for them and I was posting as this worked for me despite my previous beliefs - I have seen both sides. It may not work for everyone but I don’t like the recent vegan and vegetarian propaganda going on at the moment. My kids are even being lectured by other kids at school . Each to their own but we should be able to choose what works for our body without being told we are dooming the entire planet.

Edited to add that one of my children is still a vegetarian and I support him but have given a talk about the high carb side of things. He wanted to go vegan and I had a “chat” about learning to cook!

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Exactly. I believe that animal welfare standards do have to change for the better though.

Agree 100% that's why I've given up supermarket shopping and get my meat from a local butcher who raises his own animals on the farm run by his son.
The joys of semi rural West Sussex!

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Especially as when the evidence is examined that would appear to be a barefaced lie.
The only examination being done seems to be limited to personalities on Twitter. None of the other univesrities are complaining or refuting the pseudoscience. I find this lack of debate to be the frightening thing about it. Even when 'we' in the UK signed the Act to meet zero carbon target by 2050, it was done on a Friday when most MPs had left for the weekend, and was steamrollered through the back door. It did not need to go to the House of Lords for a second reading either apparently - why not? But no MP has queried it since either. From either party. And that is unusual, this silence. It seems all pervading and we are being blinkered and muted by unseen forces. We know who they are.

My son has a theory, and that is that by default the No Deal Brexit will force many farmers out of business naturally, and even with a deal, the import of cheaper foods tariff free and severe export tariffs to the EU for meat products will conclude the process. Bingo - lots of land avsilable for trees, soy, grains, rapeseed. So the billion trees planting target being discussed in parliament this week suddenly becomes less of an uphill stuggle. Easy Peasy. Lemon squeezy where we are the lemons.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My son has a theory, and that is that by default the No Deal Brexit will force many farmers out of business
If you look at the figures we import and export very similar amounts of animal produce so there's no real reason why farmers shouldn't be able to maintain current levels of production and sell them within the UK. I buy all my meat from local sources maybe if everyone tried to do the same the future wouldn't look so bleak?

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry chicken lovers. I used to be one to. No more.

Google: chicken just as bad a red meat

I'm a believer in God. If God didn't want us to eat meat he wouldn't have given us the sets of teeth we all possess. Thus for thousands of years moderation in all sorts of diets can work. Yet the teeth we possess suggest that eating meat in moderation should be good for us.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you look at the figures we import and export very similar amounts of animal produce so there's no real reason why farmers shouldn't be able to maintain current levels of production and sell them within the UK. I buy all my meat from local sources maybe if everyone tried to do the same the future wouldn't look so bleak?
once the land is compulsorily purchased for bio fuels and tree planting, the amount of foods we can produce, of any type, will decrease. An extra 20% of land is being earmarked for tree planting, and up to 30% for biofuels.

Dave Wilde

I'm a believer in God. If God didn't want us to eat meat he wouldn't have given us the sets of teeth we all possess. Thus for thousands of years moderation in all sorts of diets can work. Yet the teeth we possess suggest that eating meat in moderation should be good for us.
Since being diagnosed type 1 I have become a chicken eater and I feel so much better- I was a veggie for 25 years