Plant based diet

ashleyneildas

Hi, thanks for the feedback but my understanding of the plant based diet is that you eat all the veg including lots of high fiber, legumes and root veg, in fact as naturally as possible and unprocessed. You eliminate all animal products but retain as naturally rich diet as possible similar to a vegan or vegetarian but the emphasis is on as natural as possible. I have been following the mastering diabetes programme and seems to really help with lowering levels.

Reactions: Dinet

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I cant help because I am not T1, but someone will no doubt be along soon to answer your question.

Detrucci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did it as soon as i got diagnosed, went from 113 HBA1C down to 43 in about 9 months.

That was mostly with eating fruit and the occassional veggie or plant or seeds into smoothies. But pretty much all fruit and some honey in smoothies.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I did it as soon as i got diagnosed, went from 113 HBA1C down to 43 in about 9 months.

That was mostly with eating fruit and the occassional veggie or plant or seeds into smoothies. But pretty much all fruit and some honey in smoothies.
Could you please say which fruit, approximate proportions and what you do now.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Thats very interesting, how were you graded as T2 diabetic. According to your post you should have easily passed the Oral Glucose Tolerance Test aka OGTT

Detrucci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah so I have a NutriBullet RX 1700 which is a 1.2litre cup :)

I always do 2 bananas as a base, then I use frozen fruits so these can include: Pomegranate Seeds, Pineapple, Mango, Strawberries, Raspberries, Cherries, RedCurrents and a whole other bunch of berries. It can also include Peach, Watermelon and some other less used ones.

Added to the smoothies is generally about 500ml-1 litre of Unflavoured Soy Milk and then on top of that I will generally add Seeds or Leafs depending on my mood (somtimes i dont have any) But for seeds I like Chia Seeds and Sunflower Seeds, Recently I have been also using Pumpkin Seeds. For Leafy Greens I like: Baby Spinach and Red Chard

I also do 1 or 2 teaspoons of honey to sweeten it up and then blend it for 1 minute. Down the hatch it goes :)

I usually have 1 or 2 smoothies in a day.

As for normal fruits, I generally stick to something easy like a 500g bag of Grapes in a day, or 2 apples or, maybe 2 Pomegranates if they are in season.

The seeds get used for different dense nutritional value that dont come with the fruit or veg.

Also Pasha, I had all the symptoms for about 4 months and so I went to the doctors and got my bloods and stuff all done and then got diagnosed with it february last year. They gave me a 3 month grace period before I had to go in Insulin and I managed to get it down to 63 and then in november down to 43. In terms of sugar intake, i dont know if you guys count Fruit, but that is pretty much what I have been living on and it has been beautiful so far. So much so that I decided to go fully plant based back in July.

So in terms of my personal experience, I can say that A Plant Based Diet works, and that the insane amount of nutritional value you get from it will even help you in other areas of your life.

Reactions: WuTwo

Detrucci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
IMG_1191.JPGIMG_1204.JPGIMG_1203.JPGIMG_1202.JPG

Here is some images and examples of my smoothies throughout the year of last year and still to this day :)

IMG_0512.JPG This one is feb 2018 (right as I was diagnosed with 113 HBA1C)
IMG_2290.JPG This one is in November 2018 (43 HBA1C result)

Reactions: WuTwo and Dr Snoddy

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 31504View attachment 31502View attachment 31505View attachment 31503

Here is some images and examples of my smoothies throughout the year of last year and still to this day :)

View attachment 31508 This one is feb 2018 (right as I was diagnosed with 113 HBA1C)
View attachment 31507 This one is in November 2018 (43 HBA1C result)

That's very good A1C. So were you on insulin or any medication?

And would be great if you could share your post meal glucose readings if you have them...

M

Member496333

Very surprised that someone managed to get their diabetes under control using a cocktail of glucose and fructose. Impressive :)

runJorun

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Ashleyneildas. I’ve been diagnosed as a type 1 for just over a year and have been vegetarian for 35 years. I rarely eat fruit. I’ve tried low carb for a few months and that had a good effect on my HBA1C levels but a bad effect on my sanity because my diet was so limited. I’m a runner and I found my energy levels were very low. I’ve gone back to eating carbs and have taken the hit on my HBA1C.

Dinet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
it helped me loose some weight but unfortunately after 5 months on it i developed a nasty gastrointestinal inflammation.
It is possible that i had an underlying genetic predisposition which was triggered by the high fibre intake of the plant based diet.
i m still in a lot of discomfort and pain.
That was my unfortunate experience.

Rylando88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’m also surprised and completely baffled by this because fruit just messes me up completely my blood sugars spike ridiculously and that’s before we even get to the bananas!!!!

Very surprised that someone managed to get their diabetes under control using a cocktail of glucose and fructose. Impressive :)[/QUOTE

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought a Nutribullet shortly before diagnosis - I only used it a few times before accepting that there was no way I could use it and have reasonable blood glucose levels. Even blitzing a green salad with no fruit caused a high spike. The cell walls are ruptured giving easy access to the carbs.
I enjoy all the low carb veges I eat as part of my diet now - but they amount to under 40 gm of carbs a day as I cannot cope with more.

Reactions: Pasha

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I'm T1 and vegan. I have maintained an HbA1C in the high 30's for years now.

I do it by meal planning, and although I am wholly plant based I am moderately carb based, some days work out to about 50g others to about 120g. It all depends on who cooks what. I have home made seitan bacon, scrambled tofu and mushrooms or tomatoes for breakfast, sometimes with a slice of toast but usually not. Lunch will be a large bowl of assorted chopped/sliced veg (usually raw) and/or salad. I use parmegan as a topping (whizzed engevita and nuts -gives a very savoury flavoured topping), usually some sunflower seeds and usually some sprouted seeds. Often I'll add a dollop of oil - usually flavoured olive oil - to that. Yesterday I was tired and had a pot of M& cauliflour dahl with some cherry tomatoes, cucumber and parmegan.

Dinner depends hugely on which of us is cooking and what they feel like doing. Always includes a lot of veg - think huge stir fries, curries, etc. Afterwards I'll have berries & yoghurt.

My snacks are nuts or vegan dark chocolate.

I eat about 10 portions of salad and veg a day, with one portion of fruit. And try not to add more processed vegan food ie. processed stuff ie shop bought pies etc. than you have to. If you don't like cooking then OK, but read the labels so that you can see if you're taking in healthy bought food. The more natural, the better.

This is just my way of eating, and I'm lucky because I like cooking and have a husband who into the lifestyle too.

It works for me.

Reactions: Teaorcoffee

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Forgot to say - if you do switch, you'll need a source of B12 - fortified mlks, yoghurts, creams, Marmite, engevita - a lot of foods marked "vegan" have added B12. If you don't take any fortified foods you'll need to supplement.

Also, the major supermarkets are a great source for very tasty plant based products. M& S have their Plant Kitchen range, most of which is good, and Sainsburys have Love your Veg. Again, some very successful products in that range.

If you pop into the Veggie & Vegan forum we have a thread of Products we've liked on the go, and also the thread on what we've had to eat each day can be helpful for ideas. It's a huge thread but worth trawling.

Reactions: Teaorcoffee