Type 1'stars R Us

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi guys.
May I ask. When most of u got diagnosed maybe during ur working lives how much was u off work for. I'm into my 2nd month off as don't feel right to return.
A couple of weeks, maybe three? I was studying for a
PhD in plant biochemistry at the time. I went to my family home for a bit to try and get used to things with people around me, rather than being alone.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys.
May I ask. When most of u got diagnosed maybe during ur working lives how much was u off work for. I'm into my 2nd month off as don't feel right to return.

Same as @Antje77 - diagnosed initially as T2, and despite the nurses best attempts to hospitalise me at my first clinic appointment, 3 years later, the consultant agreed I could be let out once I had done my first basal insulin dose, and with a strict set of parameters I had to stick to and instructions about when to present myself at A & E if needed. I was back at work before lunch, went and hid in a far corner to do my first bolus, and away I went... I was possibly a bit unusual.

Reactions: Marie 2

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That sounds nice.
A meal somewhere quiet because I get annoyed when I can't hear myself speak. :hilarious:

That rules out live music then.. ;)

Open to suggestions really - a picnic somewhere nice, maybe?

Picnic would be cool.. I could bring my realy dodgy "hypo alert dog." (He knows I'm eating & clears up after...) :D

I could be interested but some parts of my life are a bit up in the air at the moment so can't make full commitments very far ahead.
I am in the South West ish (sorry chaps, in the interest of protecting my online identity, I don't like to be any more specific - I trust the guys who are frequent contributors but don't know who else is watching. And I'm slightly paranoid).

Let someone know where you are going & who with. Check in with them from time to time let em know yer OK.

I'll be bringing a can of mace & my dog..

Hopefully, the planets will align for this @Mel dCP . :)

Reactions: WuTwo and Marie 2

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Delticmatt100

I never missed any work either, I was originally misdiagnosed as a type 2. Eventually I was given insulin and I started it over the weekend just in case there were any issues. But I thrived as soon as I started it. I felt much better! By the time I was properly diagnosed I had been on insulin for years.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Delticmatt100 ,

I have no idea what you do for a living..
However, I'd be looking at a steady adjustment to the "normal" routine regarding work?
When yer ready, why not have a word with your employer regarding a gradual integration into the swing of it? :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys.
Wouldn't it make more sense to look into what the things are that make you feel you aren't ready to return just yet, instead of knowing how long it took any of us? Everyone of us comes from a different situation, different jobs, different problems with diabetes.
We may be able to be of help with the things that look like a problem right now.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi guys.

I was diagnosed 270 miles away, in hospital for a week then at a family home for another week as the hospital didn't think it was safe to travel back by myself on two coaches, then back to work, I was part-time then, but I was then a single parent with two children to care for.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys.
Had one day off work and that was because they had to teach me how to inject insulin and a few other bits and bobs.
Was working in a Builders Merchants at the time. Made for a few interesting days and weeks.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Delticmatt100 was off 3 weeks. I worked in a primary school and my biggest issue was eyesight. I literally couldn’t see in my varifocals and bought an off the shelf pair at Boots just so that I could function. In fact I didn’t drive for 6 weeks. Two months after diagnosis I went with 3 other staff and 30 11 year olds to Malaga for a week, flying there and staying in the youth hostel.
When you say you don’t feel right to return, do you still actually feel poorly or do you just not feel confident enough?

Reactions: Kim Possible

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Chaps, I’ve been thinking (basically because I’m sat in the sofa with my leg up) - would anyone be interested in a meet-up?
I'd be up for it. I'm in Somerset; if @WuTwo's in Devon, you're in Wales, @helensaramay's south-westish, @Japes is Midlands, @Jaylee's mobile, why not around Bristol as sort of central for all-ish? This does all depend on thetiming of my puppy's arrival of course :)

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The only times I have ever been in an ambulance (as a patient), I was in a lot of pain and on a morphine (I think) drip but still very disappointed there were no blue lights.

Back in the winter of 2009/2010, on the first day of snow + ice I broke my hip. (Which was very annoying, especially because I like snow and ice, albeit for walking or skiing on).
The main road to the hospital was blocked by a jackknifed lorry, so the traffic was all queued up for several miles waiting for things to happen. I was amused to hear the conversation between the ambulance driver and his mate - something like "It's all blocked up, shall we use the sirens?" "Yeah, go for it" Buttons pressed, off we go, no more waiting :)

(we then got to the jackknifed lorry, where they'd finally worked out what to do. I was in the ambulance from a town 10 miles away, because my town's ambulance was on the wrong side of the lorry. They wheeled me up the hill past the lorry into the second ambulance to finish the trip to the hospital. The lorry driver was terribly embarrassed, and was desperate to help - but while pushing up the hill, pushed on my broken leg...)

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys.

Just under two weeks, and I was raring to get back, especially because I was contracting at the time so no sick leave. But I look after computers for a living, so there's no serious physical challenges.

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My job is in software development and sales.
I had one day off work to go from the GP to the hospital to get my diagnosis confirmed and be ladened with insulin, needles, test strips and orange box.

Gah, I'd have liked that. I was happy to go to the hospital and get the sliding scale to work out what doses should be, but after a day or so with nothing much happening it was starting to feel a bit like a waste of time. I was then caught by the weekend - the consultant hadn't seen me on the Friday, but was apparently interested in my case (not interested enough to see me, I never saw them) so I wasn't allowed out over the weekend. I had a couple of friends visit on the weekend, one of them a junior doctor, and I asked if we could go for a short wander outside the hospital. Flat out no! I was confined to the building. I'd not accept that these days...
I saw the dietician on the Monday and they said "what are you still doing here, normally we even get the children in and out on the same day".
Annoyingly once I'd escaped, I came down with a nasty vomiting bug, and felt really bad and unable to cope, so got readmitted for a night. Fortunately it passed fairly quickly (pretty much finished as I was admitted) and I was then able to not bother them again.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, woke up low again but it might be my fault this time - went out for dinner, miscalculated the yummy sauce on the Thai beef salad (and the ice cream afterwards may have had something to do with it) and think I over-corrected before bed. Just said goodbye to the most accurate Libre I've ever had, though I do find them more reliable now - or it may be that my body's got used to the continuous intrusion of the sensors, who knows?

Hope you all have a good day whatever you're doing; we've at last had rain overnight! Don't think it's enough to have made a difference to the parched ground around here

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Morning all, a wet start to the day, but the garden needed it and probably the ducks too, I did gardening yesterday, so my fault lol.
6.9 this morning but rising :rolleyes: and having my first cuppa.
Happy Thursday all :)

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd be up for it. I'm in Somerset; if @WuTwo's in Devon, you're in Wales, @helensaramay's south-westish, @Japes is Midlands, @Jaylee's mobile, why not around Bristol as sort of central for all-ish? This does all depend on thetiming of my puppy's arrival of course :)

Just been catching up on back log to find out what you are all talking about re meet up. Err! Could be interested, I live up int north though.

Reactions: WuTwo

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Morning,

Brizzle sounds like a good call with my geographic location.. :) Providing it don't clash with the studio time the band have booked? (Which is in a couple of weeks..) :nailbiting:

Good luck with the pup, @hh1 .

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
How about somewhere in the Cotswolds?

Knee a little better but not working today as I need to be able to drive to job share school for the last day of term tomorrow. I had a rush order for a silver bangle as well, so I’m not going to be terribly out of pocket.

Sugars were pants yesterday, I think I over corrected the pain/adrenaline spike and was all over the place as a result, should have just let Elvis take care of business. I need to just trust this system and let it do the thing. Woke up in the high fours, so he looked after me overnight very well indeed.