Question about novorapid sensitivity

Emile_the_rat

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
After almost a year on insulin, I found out something strange. And thought I ask here, because I am kind of confused.

It seems like I can increase my dosage in the evening, of fast acting insulin when eating, without getting a hypo.

But if I use same ratio in the morning or start of the day I seem to get a hypo. So I have to decrease my dosage at the first half of the day, and slowely increase it at evening.

Does anyone now why that is. I’ve heard of dawn phenomen, but the thing is, I do not get high in the evening if I do not eat, but I still have to take more insulin if I eat. Don’t know if this is normal, or not.

Any thoughts or insight are much appreciated :)

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Different ratios at different times of day is pretty normal. You just need to work out what the different ratio is in the evening for you :)

(Dawn phenomenon would mean you need more insulin in the morning, which you say you don't, so you're probably not suffering that).

Reactions: Emile_the_rat

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Usually most people are more resistant in the morning and therefore require more insulin in the morning. Do you use basal insulin? and if so (do you take it once a day?) it could be that you are taking it at night so its around its peak in the morning, but has worn off by the evening as most do not last 24 hours.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I do have dawn phenomenon and require more insulin if I try to eat in the morning. Usually I just skip eating as it's really hard to control in the morning. As the day goes on I require less. By late afternoon to night it's half of what I would be taking than in the morning.

It's not uncommon to have different ratios throughout a day/night.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When do you take your long acting insulin? I also need (significantly) more NovoRapid in the evening than morning, but I think this is because I take my long acting just before bed so by the time it is dinner time it's starting to run out.

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm the same as yourself, Emile.

Less fast acting during the day, ramping up in the evenings. I put this down to Lantus not lasting a full 24 hours. Some people find that splitting their long acting helps keep their ratios consistent, but I'm used to it and happy to stay with the single long acting in the evening.

I also find that as the weather warms up, my insulin needs rise. I'm up by about a third by the time summer ends and have to start reducing ..for winter.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm the same as yourself, Emile.

Less fast acting during the day, ramping up in the evenings. I put this down to Lantus not lasting a full 24 hours. Some people find that splitting their long acting helps keep their ratios consistent, but I'm used to it and happy to stay with the single long acting in the evening.

I also find that as the weather warms up, my insulin needs rise. I'm up by about a third by the time summer ends and have to start reducing ..for winter.
Me too, I have been taking Tresiba for the last year or so but I still find I need way more insulin at night even though Tresiba is supposed to last 42 hours. And I also find I need more insulin in the summer (even though most people have the opposite effect and find they need much less insulin when it's warmer): glad I am not the only one!

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
my ratios change i need more for breakfast less for lunch and a ratio of 1:10 for tea i am also on tresiba for long acting which i found to be much more stable than when i was on lantus .

Emile_the_rat

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad to see I’m not alone, and to see that ratio can change for others too. Was kind of afraid that I did something wrong, but looks like I do just fine.

Thanks for all the input here, really appriciated :)

Reactions: Marie 2

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I’m off to the South Pole no more Diabetes! I have noticed something similar. When many days are over 35c I use more insulin. I live in Australia, is there any room left in England, for another Aussie, I know we have filled up London.