Type 2 Sugar in fruit.

Ommangie

My sugars have risen lately and I eat a lot of fruit especially in the summer. My question is does the sugar in fruit affect my levels even though it is a ‘good’ sugar?
If this is spare there a difference between which fruits can be eaten freely?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My question is does the sugar in fruit affect my levels even though it is a ‘good’ sugar?
Yes it most definitely does, many T2's can't have many of the fruits without seeing spikes in blood sugar - though I believe berries are fine in small quantities for quite a few

Last edited:
Reactions: Kyambala

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It depends very much on which type of Diabetes you have. For those with Insulin Resistance (Type 2) then fruit can be a minefield. Fruits high in fructose such as bananas and grapes are not tolerated well by the majority of T2s. A better choice would be strawberries and raspberries in small quantities and eaten after a meal (not as a stand alone snack).

For those of us with T2 fructose can be a driver of Fatty Liver as fructose can only be metabolised in the liver and is stored there as fat, this fat accumulates and worsens Insulin Resistance.

The biology of this stems from the polyol pathway,. Fructose in those who are insulin sensitive has a conversion to glucose rate of ~3% but with Insulin Resistance this figure is upregulated to ~30% which is why we see higher blood glucose values with fruit.

There are no 'good' or 'bad' sugars, they are all carbohydrates.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My sugars have risen lately and I eat a lot of fruit especially in the summer. My question is does the sugar in fruit affect my levels even though it is a ‘good’ sugar?

It doesn't matter whether sugars are artificial or natural. Sugar is sugar, and it will spike your bloodglucose. Same goes for honey for instance. It's natural, but it'll spike you, and fast.

Basically it's not just sugars that influence bloodglucose; practically all carbs do. (So that'd be bread and similar grain-based products, rice, pasta, cereal, corn etc...). And to answer your question, there are some fruits we can have in moderation, but preferably with something fatty, to slow down any spike that might occur: Strawberries with cream sound good? Berries with full fat greek yoghurt? Stick with berries, star-fruit and the odd tomato, and leave the rest. Sorry, wish I had better tidings.

If you want to know more about T2, (I'm assuming that you're a T2, a T1 would've known this), and food, you might want to read my little quick-start guide: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ And dietdoctor.com is an excellent website, besides this forum's web presence.

Good luck!
Jo

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Ommangie ,

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with the comments regarding the effects on BG with fruit posted above.

You are not the first to ask the question, nor the last... ;):)

I was having a conversation the other day with a T2 fellow dog walker. In short he'd been "pulled up" by his DSN on his soaring A1c. (& was a little miffed about it.) the diatary advice he'd been initially given was bananas, pineapple, grapes & apples were all "good & natural." :banghead:

Reactions: copilost

Rubyjewelz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Illness
Hi @Ommangie ,

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with the comments regarding the effects on BG with fruit posted above.

You are not the first to ask the question, nor the last... ;):)

I was having a conversation the other day with a T2 fellow dog walker. In short he'd been "pulled up" by his DSN on his soaring A1c. (& was a little miffed about it.) the diatary advice he'd been initially given was bananas, pineapple, grapes & apples were all "good & natural." :banghead:
I have been eating 1/2 a banana with 30g of porridge, now i eat apples and oranges...this is not good isit?...why does this site say all these things...i'm going back to keto before i have to start injecting...thanks....x

M

Member496333

Ironically, given that it’s lauded as being healthy, the “sugar” in fruit is pretty much table sugar, or sucrose. It’s constituent parts are glucose and fructose. Sucrose being a precise 50/50 ratio, which fruit probably isn’t, but otherwise it’s not much different. It’s up to the individual to decide whether or not they’re ok with that.

Reactions: Kyambala and Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been eating 1/2 a banana with 30g of porridge, now i eat apples and oranges...this is not good isit?...why does this site say all these things...i'm going back to keto before i have to start injecting...thanks....x

Hi,

The meter is your guide.. ;)

The chap I mentioned in the earlier post had also been told by his HCPs not to test? (Though he still had strips on prescription.)
He was advised his A1c was the only indication he needed regarding overal managment... o_O:banghead::banghead:

Reactions: copilost

Rubyjewelz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Illness

Rubyjewelz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Illness
Hi,

The meter is your guide.. ;)

The chap I mentioned in the earlier post had also been told by his HCPs not to test? (Though he still had strips on prescription.)
He was advised his A1c was the only indication he needed regarding overal managment... o_O:banghead::banghead:
Hi, i don't have a meter, i haven't needed one, i haven't been eating fruit for 2 years and have a low carb lifestyle...seems to work...this forum tells lies about what is good for us to eat...i have written to them but no reply...i'm now going back to keto....x

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, i don't have a meter, i haven't needed one, i haven't been eating fruit for 2 years and have a low carb lifestyle...seems to work...this forum tells lies about what is good for us to eat...i have written to them but no reply...i'm now going back to keto....x

Hello,
Fruit except berries does cause a spike in readings. It is recommended to buy a meter to see where you are at after meals whether it is lchf or keto. I think this forum is more helpful compared to the some of the advice some diabetics have received.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you talking about this forum? What lies have you been told?

Reactions: Rubyjewelz

Rubyjewelz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Illness
Are you talking about this forum? What lies have you been told?
The recipes are lying, i made a meal and the carbs were rocket high...it also has recipes with raisins, bananas, lentils grapes, oranges..it's all full of sugar even though it's natural...i really don't fancy having to stick needles in my body for extra insulin...i have been clean keto for 2 years with no problems, i came off it for a week to have fruit, lentils and whole grain bread...it was delicious but i'm scared of eating it now......x

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The recipes are lying, i made a meal and the carbs were rocket high...it also has recipes with raisins, bananas, lentils grapes, oranges..it's all full of sugar even though it's natural...i really don't fancy having to stick needles in my body for extra insulin...i have been clean keto for 2 years with no problems, i came off it for a week to have fruit, lentils and whole grain bread...it was delicious but i'm scared of eating it now......x
Perhaps you could provide a link to a recipe to illustrate your point. Not all diet controlled diabetics need to follow a very low carb diet but I would be interested to see what you mean.

Reactions: Energize

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you sure it’s this site? Could it have been one with a very similar name? Can you provide a link? Most of us type 2 in here do low carb of some sort or keto .....

If you don’t test how do you know they’ve risen? I agree with fruits, lentils and bread such as those listed they most likely would have but I’m curious how you know.

Gaffer type 1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Food lol
Fruit
As my morning snack I have 5 grape 5 strawberry 5 cherry tomatos. You will see a small rise of bg but nothing 2 major.. Just stay away from banana packed full of carbs....
Screenshot_20190616-191324.jpeg

Gaffer type 1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Food lol
Unfortunately not a lover of berries if u r blueberries are best

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Out of interest, why do you say "blueberries are best"?
For someone with type 2 (like the OP), limiting their carbs, the table you shared shows strawberries have less sugar.
Do blueberries have less total carbs?
I'm curious too, would it be due to water content?

Gaffer type 1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Food lol
Blueberries just don't raise your bg as much as other fruits.. Or Blackberries us lots of minerals and nutrients which keep us healthy

Reactions: Robinredbreast

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Blueberries just don't raise your bg as much as other fruits.. Or Blackberries us lots of minerals and nutrients which keep us healthy
I’ve seen that said a lot but cannot find evidence of why. Do you have some?