Type 1'stars R Us

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll selfishly say the cotswolds would be good, and I'm sure Sue would agree as we're both not far from there! (Sue if you want I'm happy to drive and give you a lift)

Mel couldn't you borrow(nick) an ambulance and just neee-nah blue light it and pick everyone up?!?!? Hope your knee heels quickly.
nd get to press the “999 mode” button to turn it all on?
Is that button the one in the vehicle or on your Loop rileylink?

5.2 this morning, only going to f*** it up from here on in!:D

So tube's out but he can't go out just yet, need to give the 'hole' time to heal/scab over - and I thought they said they were going to glue it! (I wasn't there at the time) Was 'fun' trying to give him the last of his antibiotic tablet last night - docs say they will heal but I will probably be left with severe scarring.........:hilarious:

Hi guys.
May I ask. When most of u got diagnosed maybe during ur working lives how much was u off work for. I'm into my 2nd month off as don't feel right to return.
I didn't take any time off 'sick' as such, may be a few days here and there before diagnosis because I was 'ill', I had booked the week off (because I was planning on covering running a bar for the week) after the weekend it all kicked off, Monday morning I was given insulin and monday night I was back behind the bar full of beans - to me that first insulin dose was like a golden bullet!
But having said that we are all different and it depends on what you do as a job etc etc.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hi everyone, been catching up, like Becca. Had a rotten day yesterday, hope it’ll be mended with a new cartridge. That the pants of MDI, the long wait to engineer a proper fix. Seems ok so far today. It was a real shame as we’d retuned to walk in a lovely wood that has evidence of ancient seas at its summit. Not sure if it was sea level rise or continental shoving that left it there.
A meet up’s a fantastic idea @Mel dCP. I’m in the South East and occasionally in the Midlands: have railcard, bus pass and car, and can travel, roadworks permitting! I do a mean gluten free naughty chocolate cake and a guess the ingredients throw it all in salad.
Bristol - love it - or Cotswolds both good.
Hope Dizzy’s cheerful @WuTwo.
@Delticmatt100 I was in the third year of a degree when the symptoms were gathering force and eventually I was taken to hospital in full on DKA. Blue lighted in fact, proper nee nah Mel, but I wasn’t conscious enough to enjoy it. It was Christmas Eve and I went back to Uni in January. The whole thing really stussed (substitute the C18 f for s) up the degree though. I wish now that I’d repeated the third year but it wasn’t suggested and I didn’t think the funding would have been extended.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Mel dCP, Hamish sending mend soon hopes to your knee, Brian sending enjoy the attention vibes to cats.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Productive start to the day! I have a standing invitation to any assembly at our church primary school, which I can only take up for the Year 6 leavers one in church on the last day of term as I've usually broken up before them. I make an extra special effort to get there if one of the church youngsters is in that cohort, and I'm so glad I did force myself out of the door to get there, as this time I was there in lieu of parents who were unable to make it. Plus, I knew where the secret organist supply of hankies was hidden for the weeping Year 6 children and solemnly handed them out. (Parents were on their own!)

Then I toddled to the hairdresser to book an appointment - and like my GP makes the most of me actually being there, she glanced at her appointment book and told me if I could wait a few minutes, she had time to do it there and then.

After that, I checked out the two local charity shops and they had some DVDs I'd been keeping an eye out for for student purposes. We've worn out our Fast and Furious DVDs!

I could get used to this not going to work malarkey..

Reactions: Fairygodmother

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Look what the postman just brought :cat:

E6861662-C42D-47C8-8F58-3DC05E25A394.jpeg
608551DA-80CC-4F02-AF50-47621724096F.jpeg

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys.
May I ask. When most of u got diagnosed maybe during ur working lives how much was u off work for. I'm into my 2nd month off as don't feel right to return.

I was diagnosed with type 1 back in 1981. At that time i think everyone spent some time in hospital. I was in for 4 days then released into the wild. I was on holiday at the time, just time off work not away anywhere

At that time i was a police officer in my probation period, just at the start of my second year. About a week later i was away at police college doing my 2nd year course a 6 week course. In week 3 i got called in and told that i was being sent back to my local police force. They even sent a car for me.

I saw the police doctor the next day and was told that as I was type 1, they would have to let me go. No DDA back in those days, so i was a type 1 and had no job

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
That’s more than pants @smc4761! The world was a nastier place for T1s back then. I was once hauled in for taking time off to treat a hypo and explaining that I wasn’t skiving took a very long time. It was back in the 70s and I was young and new to it all too.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends, I woke up on 5.9 and I feel okay,
About the meet up, I’ve never been to Cotswold. I suppose if @Mel dCP is the driver, she could pick up her chums in Wales, drive down the M4 to pick up the West Midlands chums and drive down ro Cotswold?
@Knikki I wanted to go but it was a bit too up north for me to go :(

Last edited:

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Oh that was lush. I had cauliflower & coconut dahl, with parmegan and sunflower seeds on top. Hugely comforting after a morning wrestling with a set of figures that don't want to do the decent thing and balance. They just want to play silly b****rs.

Reactions: MeiChanski

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Back on the flat leaf parsley & thyme tea, and have found some eye-wateringly expensive cranberry juice that is actual crushed cranberries. Good though! Also have some D-Mannose tablets coming tomorrow.

From all of which gather that the wretched bleeping blooping cystitis bleep bleep came back!

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was in the third year of a degree when the symptoms were gathering force and eventually I was taken to hospital in full on DKA. Blue lighted in fact, proper nee nah Mel, but I wasn’t conscious enough to enjoy it. It was Christmas Eve and I went back to Uni in January.

I was quite lucky with my diagnosis. We'd just moved to a new town, and my wife (gf at the time) was very keen that we get properly registered with GPs, and as part of the registration there were some blood tests. They noticed the sugar on one, so said "come and do a fasting test". I went in, blood taken, they said the results would take a week or so to come in. Next day, I'm at work, and had a phone call. "Come to hospital right now, bed is booked, do not pass go, do not collect 200 pounds" or words to that effect. So tell my boss/client (decent chap, diagnosed T2D a few months before so understood a bit too), phone my wife, phone my parents (scared them a bit, their only other experience of T1D was a friend who pretty much blinded himself by not treating it properly - they didn't mention this, but I could hear their worry), got on my bike and rode to hospital to be locked up for a few days.
The diagnosis was obvious as soon as they said it - I'd been drinking loads, feeling a bit lethargic, exercise helped, and my eyes changed prescription.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Hi guys.
Just my hospital A&E day and next OCDEM day assessment. It wasn't easy as I couldn't see to read properly for a couple of weeks as my blood sugars dropped dramatically and it took that time for my eye lens to adapt. I improvised with a pair of Boots reading glasses.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Weight was dropping off me, I was sleeping if I wasn't drinking more water, or eating. Husband bought a meter kit and tested me, then booked me in at the surgery. I was at the hospital the next day.

Once I was sorted I got the weight, strength and energy back. Ever since I've looked on insulin as tiny drops of magic potion.