Reset “baseline glucose”

Sapien

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been eating low carb (60-130 grams) for a few months gradually eating less and less most days. My morning fasting glucose upon waking has come down from 5.3 to 4.5. Would it make sense to further reduce carbs (below 60) to reset my fasting glucose further? Is the morning fasting glucose like a set-point that the body wants to return to?

My daytime “set point” seems to be around 4.9 at the moment. I wake at 4.5 and it rises to about 4.9 and stays there unless I eat. Pre-dinner is also now about 4.8. It doesn’t drop lower except at night or after exercise.) A couple months ago my body seemed to rise to 5.9 if I didn’t eat breakfast and go back to about 5.8 after meals (3-4 hours).

I don’t need weight loss so I would need to add in yet more fat, protein or both to offset fewer carbs to keep from losing weight/muscle.

Has anyone here with pre-diabetes successfully reset their baseline glucose so you can gradually eat more carbs and consistently return to the lower baseline? (Eventually eat moderate carbs and keep healthy glucose at fasting and post-prandial)

I don’t want to go so far with low carb that I end up less glucose tolerant than before.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
I have been eating low carb (60-130 grams) for a few months gradually eating less and less most days. My morning fasting glucose upon waking has come down from 5.3 to 4.5. Would it make sense to further reduce carbs (below 60) to reset my fasting glucose further? Is the morning fasting glucose like a set-point that the body wants to return to?

My daytime “set point” seems to be around 4.9 at the moment. I wake at 4.5 and it rises to about 4.9 and stays there unless I eat. Pre-dinner is also now about 4.8. It doesn’t drop lower except at night or after exercise.) A couple months ago my body seemed to rise to 5.9 if I didn’t eat breakfast and go back to about 5.8 after meals (3-4 hours).

I don’t need weight loss so I would need to add in yet more fat, protein or both to offset fewer carbs to keep from losing weight/muscle.

Has anyone here with pre-diabetes successfully reset their baseline glucose so you can gradually eat more carbs and consistently return to the lower baseline? (Eventually eat moderate carbs and keep healthy glucose at fasting and post-prandial)

I don’t want to go so far with low carb that I end up less glucose tolerant than before.
Honestly I would say that you're doing pretty good already! Took me a long few months to wrestle mine down to where it is now (3.9-4.5) usually and you're well into the normal range. Usual DP comes from your liver being so used to being at that point that it will try to get you back up to it which is again impacted by fatty liver so for someone with pre-diabetes you may just stick at that baseline if you don't overeat and give yourself fatty liver again. As for eating more moderate carbs? Possible I would say, as long as you're not devouring processed food and trans-fats on a daily basis I feel you could but that's just me guessing.