Foot problems - any experience?

Chris Bowsher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Anybody have experience of foot nerve problems and their onset?

I am losing sensation underneath some of my toes and under the pad of my right foot only.

pricks are noticeably duller and have a very mild sensation a bit like pins and needles.

It has come on in the last 3 - 6 months.

I am 40 - have average control - last hba1c 54

No other complications - just had an eyes screening come back totally clear.

thanks

Chris

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
Hi all,

Anybody have experience of foot nerve problems and their onset?

I am losing sensation underneath some of my toes and under the pad of my right foot only.

pricks are noticeably duller and have a very mild sensation a bit like pins and needles.

It has come on in the last 3 - 6 months.

I am 40 - have average control - last hba1c 54

No other complications - just had an eyes screening come back totally clear.

thanks

Chris
I'm sorry to hear that you are having these problems Chris.
I was diagnosed 18 months ago HBA1c 53. I have kept it under 40 for the last 15 months, but I do get some pains in my feet. They aren't numb, but I get like mini electric shocks from time to time. The shocks occur every couple of minutes for a day or so and are bad enough to interrupt my sleep. It does seem to be happening much less now that my BG is at normal levels. My GP says that he has known people who are pre-diabetic to have problems with their feet and eyes, so the severity of the condition doesn't seem to be the sole factor. The only thing we can do is to keep our BG under control so that the side effects don't get any worse or hopefully even improve a bit.

Chris Bowsher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sorry to hear that you are having these problems Chris.
I was diagnosed 18 months ago HBA1c 53. I have kept it under 40 for the last 15 months, but I do get some pains in my feet. They aren't numb, but I get like mini electric shocks from time to time. The shocks occur every couple of minutes for a day or so and are bad enough to interrupt my sleep. It does seem to be happening much less now that my BG is at normal levels. My GP says that he has known people who are pre-diabetic to have problems with their feet and eyes, so the severity of the condition doesn't seem to be the sole factor. The only thing we can do is to keep our BG under control so that the side effects don't get any worse or hopefully even improve a bit.

I have had the shooting pains you describe generally in my legs shooting down my legs for years but i get it in short bursts. i have never associated this with diabetes as it is very infrequent once every year perhaps, and doesn't seem to get worse - i tend to associate it with having a virus.

this foot sensation is not painful (yet) it's sort of tingly and feels like i am stood on something, when i'm not.

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
I'm not a medical expert Chris,
I have had the shooting pains you describe generally in my legs shooting down my legs for years but i get it in short bursts. i have never associated this with diabetes as it is very infrequent once every year perhaps, and doesn't seem to get worse - i tend to associate it with having a virus.
this foot sensation is not painful (yet) it's sort of tingly and feels like i am stood on something, when i'm not.
I'm not a medical expert Chris, but the numbness and tingling are certainly symptoms of diabetic neuropathy. If you only get the shooting pains occasionally they may be down to something else. I would certainly go to your GP. They can confirm what it is and give you some good advice on handling the issues.

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
Hi @Chris Bowsher, have you tried a Chiropractor? Personally that's where i'd start. Hope all goes well.

misspinky1984

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Horrible people
Hi I went to the dr today about y feet struggle to walk sometimes pain in heel bottom of my feet they have said it neuropathy I’m 34 last Hba1c 48

Chris Bowsher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thought i would update this thread went to see the GP around 2 months ago.

Doctor diagnosed peripheral neuropathy. but said there was no treatment for this except good blood control, and referred me for a podiatry assessment - i guess we will discuss it more there.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had issues with lower legs and feet. Lchf has reversed those symptoms.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Listlad the OP has type 1.
I believe what reduced your symptoms was lowering your BG. The technique you used to lower your BG was a LCHF diet.

It can be risky for someone with type 1 (or someone treating type 2 with insulin) to reduce their carb intake unless they are able to closely monitor their BG and adjust their insulin dose appropriately.
Okay. Apologies there.

Chris Bowsher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had a podiatry appointment this morning - which was basically the same sensation / pulse tests taken at my annual diabetic review. All tests normal (to them anyway) and left as a low risk patient with leaflets and a recommendation to control blood glucose as closely as possible. I am aware of what i need to do to limit the condition, which is to control my blood glucose better. But i guess thats the goal for most things diabetic related!