Type 2 Sugar in fruit.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, i don't have a meter, i haven't needed one, i haven't been eating fruit for 2 years and have a low carb lifestyle...seems to work...this forum tells lies about what is good for us to eat...i have written to them but no reply...i'm now going back to keto....x

Hello,

A BG meter certainly would help gauge what works for you with regards to any form of carb consuption.

The recipes are lying, i made a meal and the carbs were rocket high...it also has recipes with raisins, bananas, lentils grapes, oranges..it's all full of sugar even though it's natural...i really don't fancy having to stick needles in my body for extra insulin...i have been clean keto for 2 years with no problems, i came off it for a week to have fruit, lentils and whole grain bread...it was delicious but i'm scared of eating it now......x

What you describe here sounds to me a little like an "old school" diabetics cook book? Lol, possibly aimed at T1s??
Which oddly, I get the impression DSNs are pulling the same sort of dietary advice from for T2s & pre Ds?

Of course T1s do have the means to inject for what we choose to eat. However, it still takes understanding of insulin to carb ratio & timing of the of the dose so the insulin working profile coordinates with the food digested.. Especially if fats are slowing digestion down?
Where these recipes low in fat, perchance?

I'd love to see some links to the site/pages if you could be so kind?

Thanks! :)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
...I have a feeling you followed the recipies on diabetes.ORG.uk, which do indeed include more carbs than most T2 people here would touch. This forum is diabetes.CO.uk... Haven't got anything to do with one another...
The recipes are lying, i made a meal and the carbs were rocket high...it also has recipes with raisins, bananas, lentils grapes, oranges..it's all full of sugar even though it's natural...i really don't fancy having to stick needles in my body for extra insulin...i have been clean keto for 2 years with no problems, i came off it for a week to have fruit, lentils and whole grain bread...it was delicious but i'm scared of eating it now......x

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you like fruit I can recommend a concoction of double strength sugar free jelly, mixed with yoghurt when it has cooled down, whip lightly to incorporate some air and then add however many frozen mixed berries you can eat in three days, stirring gently. a small sprinkle of chia seeds helps with sucking up the fruit juices, but is not essential. This seems to make it far easier to eat the right amount of fruit, and it is delicious served with cream after dinner on a warm evening.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Even measuring to your meter should be taken with caution as the fructose part of fruit does not illicit a blood glucose response; but it is metabolised via the liver so if you are insulin resistant this is not great.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evidently there is a lot of sugar in fruit. I used to eat tons of it as I enjoyed it and believed it to be a good thing.

Now that I realise that there is a lot of sugar in fruit and it’s consequences for those with T2 diabetic tendencies, I have reduced the amount of fruit I eat to lower levels. I have not cut fruit out completely, just reduced it to acceptable levels.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
From your questions you might want to give this site's lowcarbprogram a try - it includes videos each week and downloads with lots of information plus suggested weekly menus, etc. You can try it free for a week, and in the UK you can get a voucher on prescription from a GP.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll eat a variety of low carb and generally in season fruits but only in very small quantities as part of my meal, and always with some sort of fats (e.g. cream, creme fraiche, or cooked in butter.) However as far as I'm concerned there's no such thing as "good" sugar - whatever form it might come in, so including some fruit as part of my LCHF diet is an informed & personal choice and something of a compromise.

Robbity

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
FWIW I eat fruit and probably too much but only with a meal - never on eats own and I seem to be able to get away with this. I eat fruit at the end of each of my 3 meals a day. I don't snack between meals.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Fruit, where do I start!
I love fruit, especially berries, apples, bananas, grapes, okay, there isn't many that I don't particularly like, and despite my condition, I have found that I can and do eat fruit regularly throughout the day. And since I lost the weight, got my insulin resistance down and my health improved, the blood glucose readings I got, were completely different from before diagnosis and until I started being in ketosis, the difference between then and now is quite surprising.
It could also be the Gliptin I take which helps with my initial insulin response, but I'm only guessing!
I do have too many berries with my Greek full fat yoghurt, but it's my only treat, and I enjoy them.
Summer frozen berries are supposed to be very good, if you want to have small amounts. Tropical fruits are supposed to be the worst, non tropical fruit in small portions are advisable.

ivan 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
A university professor (pediatric endocrinologist):
‚‚Telling children not to eat fruits ? Ridiculous !‚‚

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A university professor (pediatric endocrinologist):
‚‚Telling children not to eat fruits ? Ridiculous !‚‚
And your point in quoting that would be.......? I’m genuinely unsure

There’s many a medical professional that knows little about diet, especially low carb.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
this forum tells lies about what is good for us to eat
Not sure what you mean. This forum and its members are for the most part a pretty low carb bunch with the usual recommendation of maybe a few berries as a treat.
Rarely if ever have I seen anyone recommend a high fruit consumption.

Reactions: fruim

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect it’s confusion with the .org site as jo and I said above

fruim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Doctors who don't listen or understand how you feel mentally

Rubyjewelz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Illness
Not sure what you mean. This forum and its members are for the most part a pretty low carb bunch with the usual recommendation of maybe a few berries as a treat.
Rarely if ever have I seen anyone recommend a high fruit consumption.
I'm not talking about the keto diet, which i have now gone back too...all's good....x

Stephen Lewis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrites, liars, donald trump (no capitals for emphasis)
Blueberries always spike my sugar levels as do most fruits. Strawberries are probably best for me but I have to be careful because growers in the US used to 'feed' strawberries with sugared water to make them taste sweeter. Not sure if this happens in other countries. I also note that the list above puts avocados at the bottom. Of course they do not contain sugars and they do contain 'good' fats but they are also quite high in non-sugar carbs. I find the best way is to check the carb content of fruits on the Low Carb Program and then eat carefully to see how I am affected.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not talking about the keto diet, which i have now gone back too...all's good....x
We were trying to work out what you were talking about though, it doesn’t seem to be this site diabetes.CO.uk as you thought but another one diabetes.ORG.uk which is comparatively higher carb

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Blueberries always spike my sugar levels as do most fruits. Strawberries are probably best for me but I have to be careful because growers in the US used to 'feed' strawberries with sugared water to make them taste sweeter. Not sure if this happens in other countries. I also note that the list above puts avocados at the bottom. Of course they do not contain sugars and they do contain 'good' fats but they are also quite high in non-sugar carbs. I find the best way is to check the carb content of fruits on the Low Carb Program and then eat carefully to see how I am affected.
According to Waitrose supermarket website, a usually very reliable source of nutritional information...
Raspberries 4.6g carbs per 100g
Avocado 1.9g carbs per 100g
Of course you probably eat a higher weight of avocado for a portion.