Gaffer type 1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Food lol
Hi all
Just another's persons opinion mayb would help me.
About 5 weeks ago I kicked the dogs toy and missed and kicked the bottom of the washing machine hard... Right get your laughs out the way..... The day before was diagnosed with T1 from being T2 for 2 years, so I wasn't impressed with my stupidity.
It was all bruised, skin scrapped off could hardly walk, went hospital xray all ok no break or fracture.
Been keeping eye on it as being T1 also type 2 our feet are vulnerable.
Been abit sore past couple days, noticed today very red below the nail skin is really tight which mayb cause the toe now is not straight healed alittle bent feels like there is fluid under the skin.
My doctors is a joke can never get an appointment and my diabetic doctor on hols for 2 weeks.
I was thinking of calling 111 UK for advice or does that seem a little extreme.
What would u do?...

Edited by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd say, when in doubt, ask 111 what to do. Good luck!!! (I broke my little toe 3 times in one year, so yeah... I'm not laughing at you!)
Hi all
Just another's persons opinion mayb would help me.
About 5 weeks ago I kicked the dogs toy and missed and kicked the bottom of the washing machine hard... Right get your laughs out the way..... The day before was diagnosed with T1 from being T2 for 2 years, so I wasn't impressed with my stupidity.
It was all bruised, skin scrapped off could hardly walk, went hospital xray all ok no break or fracture.
Been keeping eye on it as being T1 also type 2 our feet are vulnerable.
Been abit sore past couple days, noticed today very red below the nail skin is really tight which mayb cause the toe now is not straight healed alittle bent feels like there is fluid under the skin.
My doctors is a joke can never get an appointment and my diabetic doctor on hols for 2 weeks.
I was thinking of calling 111 UK for advice or does that seem a little extreme.
What would u do?...

Quote edited by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Could you try getting a nurse appointment at the GP surgery? I tend to find they are not as booked up as doctors. And if it’s a ‘wound query, needing dressing’ that’s generally nurse territory. If they feel it needs drs opinion, they can call one into look there and then or give you an appointment either when one is available or sooner at nurses discretion. Other option I would consider in your situation is if there’s a local walk-in clinic you could get to.

Edit: I probably wouldn’t bother with 111, as they can’t look at it they will only advise to see someone. Hours by the phone waiting on a call back to be told make an appointment at gp, as it doesn’t seem a&e is required, seems a waste of time.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Do you have a diabetes team, which includes diabetes nurses that you can phone?

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
If you do not have a podiatry referral team then I agree that if you can get one immediately, see the practice nurse - otherwise go to A&E. One of my t1 friends ignored a wound on his foot for a few days and ended up having treatment at his surgery/hospital for 4 weeks.
I was referred to the podiatity team on diagnosis and see them every few weeks - they always remind me to phone them if I get any open wounds on my feet that don't start healing fast enough or look inflamed.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I had a similar injury a couple of weeks ago after being trodden on - a buildup of fluid fluid under the nail. GP said to go to minor injuries who didn’t have any appointments, so they insisted I go to A&E. The X-rayed it and found no breaks, drilled a hole in the nail to relieve the pressure, dressed it and that was that. I expect the nail to fall off as the new one grows in.

Last year the same toe was bruised when I was doing my first responder training, I just noticed it had gone a funny colour a few days later. That time when I rang my surgery to speak to the DN for advice, she had me straight in so she could look at it - I think it all depends who you get on the phone and how they interpret the guidelines.

We do need to be careful as diabetics but we also need to keep things in proportion, I’d suggest ringing your practice nurse or DN to see what they suggest. I’m not recommending you do this, but I’d be tempted to create a sterile area, drain the fluid myself with a pen needle and dressing it with an iodine dressing and plenty of padding, as it’ll continue to leak for a while. But a) I’m not squeamish b) I have the kit to create a very clean area and dress it properly; and c) I’m an inveterate tinkerer who does things for myself. Plus I have antibiotics in my cupboard in case there’s any hint of an infection.