Diabetes Weight Management Group

Ottermoon

I'm registered to go to 4 sessions, once a week, starting tomorrow.

I wondered if anyone has been along to these NHS-approved groups, and if so, did you find it useful or worthwhile?

I attended the half-day nutrition information course, and was really surprised to find out how many people are were diagnosed a long time ago and are still basically clueless about what foods affect blood sugar. One man ate several bananas a day, for example. Another asked it if was OK to eat potatoes. A third scoffed the biscuits in the coffee room (provided by the venue, not the diabetes dieticians) (sigh) I wanted to tell each of them, 'Read a Book, for crying out loud!'

There were useful and edcucational bits to the presentations. But at no time did this dietician talk about sugar. Honey, jam, fructose, sweeteners, table sugar, nothing mentioned about it. Odd, I thought.

So here come 2-hour sessions in a group of up to 8 people, for four weeks, run by dieticians to help support us in weight loss. I wonder if any of them have read Gary Taubes or Dr. Bernstien.

Anyway. Have you been to these? I guess I'm looking for some help in managing my expectations.

Thanks.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Hi Ottermoon

I guess that you should just take out of it what you find helpful in where you are in managing your diabetes. Try not to make the experience unbearable for yourself because everyone is not where you are in that management. Please also do not forget that there are many ways of managing diabetes that are successful for the individuals who follow them - I eat potatoes and am doing quite well, many years into my diabetes.

Regards

Doug

Ottermoon

After two of the four group meetings, I think there is good value in this programme. The dietician at my meetings is knowledgeable, but I'm impressed with the individualised approach and personal support offered. For example, they are supportive of my reduced-carb diet because it's working for me (I've lost 10% of body weight in 4 months), even if they are recommending low-fat and calorie control.

If weight loss is one of your goals, you might ask your Health Care Practitioner to refer you.

All best wishes,

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
ALways nice to hear positive feedback about courses. Glad it's working out.