Costa Coffee Toast

SpeakN

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The nutrition information on the Costa Coffee website for their wholemeal toast (without butter) shows as 58 carbs per portion. A portion is two small slices of toast - see photo.
A full size wholemeal slice of toast (medium thickness) is usually 15 or 16 carbs per slice. Is it possible the Costa variety is really so much higher? I asked to look at the bread package in my local Costa but it doesn't show the nutrition.

Attachments

• Costa Coffee Toast.jpg
    Costa Coffee Toast.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 566

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @SpeakN I am pretty wary of the nutritional information given by any company on their website, I tend to trust my own intuition, particularly as the slices may be near the end of the loaf so slightly smaller, cut slightly thinner etc, always err on the side of caution :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
The nutrition information on the Costa Coffee website for their wholemeal toast (without butter) shows as 58 carbs per portion. A portion is two small slices of toast - see photo.
A full size wholemeal slice of toast (medium thickness) is usually 15 or 16 carbs per slice. Is it possible the Costa variety is really so much higher? I asked to look at the bread package in my local Costa but it doesn't show the nutrition.

They are small, but a little bit larger than my GF bread slices and they are roughly between 10 and 15 carbs per slice.
I would email or telephone the company, as a type 1 if you took at face value, then a hypo would happen and it could be a very low one !! As Juicyj has said, always err on the side of caution.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I think it might be based on 100g rather than serving.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I looked at the Costa information on line and the amount of carbs per portion is a little more than per 100g so the slices of toast must weigh more than 50g each which seems unlikely. There is no column in their detail list for fibre so maybe it is included in the carbs.

Attachments

• store-allergen-guide.pdf
    756.1 KB · Views: 274

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a rule of the thumb I count all kinds of breads including chapatis and naans etc by weight as 10gm (1 portion) carb for every 20gm weight. And of course they all tend to spike your BG, even the whole meal ones!

Lynne C J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
They are small, but a little bit larger than my GF bread slices and they are roughly between 10 and 15 carbs per slice.
I would email or telephone the company, as a type 1 if you took at face value, then a hypo would happen and it could be a very low one !! As Juicyj has said, always err on the side of caution.

I've always thought the Costa wholemeal toast was two big slices of bread and quite thick so I'm wary of having that for lunch

Last edited by a moderator:

SpeakN

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’ve taken two slices home to weigh them. A portion without butter weighs 90g. Therefore, based on the data for 100g it seems the problem with the information is their portion size.