Sick to the back teeth of being asked if I smoke !

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
It's height for me, every time. How tall am i? Same as I've been for over 30 years, and the DVLA one, how long have i had diabetes? That'll be 3 years longer than last time. Keep smiling xx

Reactions: AloeSvea

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I get fed up with them wanting to weigh me each and every visit. When I had pneumonia, they wanted to weigh me. When I had an abscess, they wanted to weigh me. When I damaged my finger, they wanted to weigh me.

I just say no. I got bored with making jokes about ho much my lungs or finger weighed and how that might affect treatment.
and they always measure your BP but never measure your BS unless you are diagnosed as a diabetic. They do these things because they have always done them and the practice is never reviewed.

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never been good at producing a witty or light-hearted response to a stupid or pointless question. There is a delay before my brain gets round to spotting that my husband has made a joke, but at least that makes him laugh. The question 'Are you sure you're a type 1 ?', asked recently by an ignorant nurse at a hospital clinic had me shocked and immediately angry. That's the way I react, but it's a relief to know that it's not just me that is driven nearly crazy by the tick box business. This nurse acts as if nobody ever doubts the need to ask the same question at every appointment and behaves as if there's something really strange about my reaction.

I think I will consult my husband and son as to a suitable witty response and learn it by heart in order to cope with this woman in future.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
If you have seen her multiple times, can you point out that she is repeating questions (might be a good idea not to highlight one) and ask if she can just ask if anything has changed?

That is the most helpful question I can be asked by a HCP.... no wasting time going over the last visits stats and if something has changed it allows more time to focus on that. Which is obviously more important.

To be fair to all HCP's, they are just trying to do their job and help everyone they deal with.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know what all the fuss about. To answer yes or no to a few questions is hardly a big deal. Surely it is better for them to check things, the slight inconvenience is worth it to have the correct information. Who would volunteer that they had started smoking again or drinking heavily?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For me, it is "are you pregnant?"
My brain: Do I look pregnant? *feels offended* is it because i'm juicy?
My sarcastic side: My bf hasn't put any buns in the oven yet, maybe ask again in a few months.
Me: Nope. :hilarious:
At least you still look young enough to be fertile!
Only been asked about smoking when they are doing their risk calculator thing prior to the dreaded statin conversation when the number triggers a recall to the doctor call/letter.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I was asked by a nurse how far can you walk comfortably my answer I have Myasthenia Gravis walking is often impossible for me and always difficult.

Next question how far can you walk without discomfort up hill .

My response may I refer you to my last answer .

nurses reply oh yes I see, what is Myasthenia Gravis?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
  • Just write on some cardboard and hold them up, with: YES, NO, DONT GIVE A HOOT, COMPUTER SAYS NO........., SAME ANSWER AS LAST TIME, lol that should do it :D

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Once I exclaimed “oh not again!” And the nurse said “well we don’t have to” so we didn’t
I said "you can weigh me but you can't tell me what the number is" (truth). They will do it and oddly sometimes didn't bother to weigh me......

Emile_the_rat

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
What I really hate is how they always must weight me. And everytime I get scared :nailbiting:, because I now I’m little bit overweight, and afraid my weight would end up as an arguement for setting me on some weird diet. :eek:

Strange thing, everytime they tell me I have a normal and healthy weight, even thought I’m fat :woot:

So guess I just keep on enjoying life and food :)

cireland

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@JMK1954 - No, it's a question with a half a second answer. Bigger things in life to take umbrage with.

Suz2

I have just been asked - yet again - if I smoke. Every time I have any contact with my GP practice nurse, I am asked the same question again. I have never smoked, my husband has never smoked, my parents never smoked, my brother and sister have never smoked, my son has never smoked. Am I really the ony one who is fed up with being asked the same question over and over again ? I am now in my mid-sixties and I am beginning to feel this is beyond a joke. Does she think that I will take up smoking in my sixties ? Or does she think I've been lying for years ?

Yes, I know the system demands that my response to the question has to be recorded, but it is driving me up the wall. She has asked me the same question every time she has ever spoken to me. Words fail me.
Just had to have a rant !
Here's a help. ICD-10 has specific codes to identify nonsmokers and levels of alcohol use. In order to submit those codes there must be documentation in your medical record that your practitioner has asked you the questions received your answer. So, go with the response that nothing has changed since your last visit and the practitioners have documented your response to these history questions and can record the ICD-10 diagnoses.
Why is this important? Statistical reports. When you read that x%of patients diagnosed with lung cancer have been smokers, these codes are where this information comes from.
If your history hasn't changed, speak up and short circuit the litany of inane questions. But remember, the data is impotant.

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't have any quarrel with giving the information, but this woman rang me two days ago and asked yet again. I assume she forgot to record my answer at the surgery !