Hi

Hi my name is Stephanie I am a Healthcare support worker for the elderly and we have many clients that are diabetic and a lot of them don't understand and just what being diabetic means and a lot of the family have the same problems also because of their age the internet is a challenge for them is there anything that can be be put in packs but we can hand out out to people with diabetes that will help them to understand their condition?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diabetes UK may have good literature explaining type 2 but their dietary advice leaves something to be desired. It’s too high carb, unless you’re starting from an even higher point I guess in which case it’s at least a little improved.

Can I suggest becoming well educated yourself and encouraging your colleagues to do likewise would go a long way. This site (not just the forums but the parent site) is an excellent resource for this.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi @Healthcare support llc

a few on here have made inroads into a low carb diet in some surgeries.
our own @Debandez , has had much success with her own journey and is now passing on that gift to others.
(where was she when i was first diagnosed ..:arghh: )

so i have tagged her in for her flyers and expertise.
hopefully she will be along soon.

thank you for taking the time to try and understand this disease a little bit better.

i had my mum in residential care, (senile dementia ) so am fully aware of how intensive some needs can be, bless you for reaching out.

and as you say.. for the families, who may know nothing of this disease, this is already such a confusing time, that it's so easy to just accept that doctors know best, without finding out anything of the disease or the latest best course of treatment.

Hope you find all the help you need, to help those placed under your care.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi my name is Stephanie I am a Healthcare support worker for the elderly and we have many clients that are diabetic and a lot of them don't understand and just what being diabetic means and a lot of the family have the same problems also because of their age the internet is a challenge for them is there anything that can be be put in packs but we can hand out out to people with diabetes that will help them to understand their condition?
I have lots of info, simple visuals are great. If you would like me to send this to you I'm more than happy to do so. I'm currently working with my surgery on a leaflet. To be handed out to newly diagnosed and/or those wishing to gain more control of bs. It should be ready any time soon.

Reactions: Juicyj