Coffee fashion

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So today I went to a trendy coffee shop in London and asked if they did coffee with cream (thinking low carb), after some confusion we established they have milk substitutes (soya and almond) and do full fat milk, they don't do cream. I was wondering if anybody has experienced a coffee shop that did do cream, and where was that? I'm thinking this would be an interesting indicator of where HFLC has become fashionable/accepted?

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
So today I went to a trendy coffee shop in London and asked if they did coffee with cream (thinking low carb), after some confusion we established they have milk substitutes (soya and almond) and do full fat milk, they don't do cream. I was wondering if anybody has experienced a coffee shop that did do cream, and where was that? I'm thinking this would be an interesting indicator of where HFLC has become fashionable/accepted?
I bring my own cream. Soya UHT in a tetra pak.
https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/produ...zBXHu5lsuvgnSlR_OiBoCB48QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Costa do cream, so you can ask for it with any drink you fancy. :)

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
also suggests that the HFLC has some traction....

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t want to offend by derailing this thread so, if anyone is offended, I am happy to be ignored or deleted as my question is mostly to satisfy my curiosity.

@copilost you describe the diet as HFLC whereas, previously, I have only seen it as LCHF. I assume the common nomenclature is because, with diabetes, most people focus primarily, on reducing carbs.
My question is why do you put the high carb bit first?
because I'm an idiot and dyslexic (sorry)

D

Deleted member 308541

The coffee shop at the private hospital where I get my blood tests done sell it, but most of the people I see in there drink black coffee as I do.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
because I'm an idiot and dyslexic (sorry)

Don’t you dare apologise for either of those things! :)

There isn’t a person on these boards who isn’t fallible, and who hasn’t made a typo or 50.

My favourite is when people say how many crabs they eat. :D

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I asked in Costa Coffee in Preston a couple of months back and the computer said no. Then there is the question of single cream or double cream.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@copilost

Something else to consider, is that any place that offers whipped cream on top of hot chocolate (and they ALL do that) can put the same stuff on a cup of black coffee. Then you can just stir it in.

The best cup of coffee I ever had was in 2001, in a small town in rural Greece. A small cup with 3 parts STRONG black coffee with 2 parts whipped cream on it. Came to the table with a crust of brown sugar on the cream.

Best cup of coffee of my life, but I never managed to come close to replicating it. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Larissima

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@copilost

Something else to consider, is that any place that offers whipped cream on top of hot chocolate (and they ALL do that) can put the same stuff on a cup of black coffee. Then you can just stir it in.
Don’t they add sugar to the whipped cream?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don’t they add sugar to the whipped cream?

You would have to ask them. Or look at the nutrition info on their website.

Personally, I would choose a sugarless drink with whipped cream on it, over a sugarless drink with milk in it. I doubt there is more sugar in 50mls of whipped cream than in 200mls of milk. But we can all make a judgement call on it.

I would prefer the cream, but then I gave up coffee 2? 3? years ago, so the whole question is academic for me - though I miss it daily.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You would have to ask them. Or look at the nutrition info on their website.

Personally, I would choose a sugarless drink with whipped cream on it, over a sugarless drink with milk in it. I doubt there is more sugar in 50mls of whipped cream than in 200mls of milk. But we can all make a judgement call on it.

I would prefer the cream, but then I gave up coffee 2? 3? years ago, so the whole question is academic for me - though I miss it daily.
You can taste the sugar in the whipped cream.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It’s rare that places selling coffee don’t have cream...apart from coffee shops in supermarkets, for some unfathomable reason they won’t stock it.

The whipped cream is mostly unsweetened as it’s poured from the bottle into a device that whips it up. Canned cream is hard to find unsweetened.

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Caffe Nero do a drink called espresso con panna, which is a double espresso with a large squirt of unsweetened cream on top. I love it, but I'm sure they could add the cream to any other coffee.

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Caffe Nero do a drink called espresso con panna, which is a double espresso with a large squirt of unsweetened cream on top. I love it, but I'm sure they could add the cream to any other coffee.
Oh good to know, Cafe Nero is my favourite for coffee, when you say "squirt" does it come from a can?

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh good to know, Cafe Nero is my favourite for coffee, when you say "squirt" does it come from a can?

You’ll know when you ask them. No doubt they all have different suppliers.