What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I awoke to a 4.5 today. Grey and damp but as I am inside all day at meetings I will not see it. There will be an array of biscuits to resist. Lots of hot air too if previous events are anything to go by.
Have a good day all.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
PM and @Krystyna23040 Guess what? They are sending a photographer next week and they want Dennis in the photos too! I’d better get him to the grooming salon pronto so he will look his best for his big day! I did warn them he would chew their equipment and ankles.
Really great news. Looking forward to seeing the photos and reading the article. Well done! Hope Dennis enjoys being pampered at the grooming salon.

Reactions: Viv19 and DJC3

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Did a 19 hour fast yesterday. 5.1 at bedtime - so looking forward to a reading in the 4s this morning.

Instead it was 6.1. Must be wrong so washed hands again and it was 6.3.

T2D does love to keep us guessing as to why we get these random highs and lows. Although I must admit that 6.1 isn't really that high at all but it is not in the non-diabetic range that I am striving for.

So I will ignore this random 6 and won't waste anymore time in trying to work out why it is in the 6s this morning.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did a 19 hour fast yesterday. 5.1 at bedtime - so looking forward to a reading in the 4s this morning.

T2D does love to keep us guessing as to why we get these random highs and lows. Although I must admit that 6.1 isn't really that high at all but it is not in the non-diabetic range that I am striving for.

So I will ignore this random 6 and won't waste anymore time in trying to work out why it is in the 6s this morning.

I hate that when you retest and each time the reading goes up @Krystyna23040 Try another finger and that finger says hey I will give you an even higher reading...

Hugs for you.

But I sort of am half thinking the fast you did will make a difference overall to your readings later today or tomorrow. With you it's just not affecting your fbg the next morning. It's just the way your body is wired up.

It may be a different time of day reading, or next day reading, that will give you an indication of the effects of the fast.

I stopped doing the longer fasts for the same reason you say, because my fbg reading was quite high the next morning. But I wasn't recording my readings on a spreadsheet then with a few other records and notes to try and find out why.

Anyway hugs
:happy::happy::happy:

Reactions: HarryBeau

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi @Krystyna23040 , this is not random. It just means that your liver had some sugar and dumped it into your blood. We ignore outliers at our peril, it’s where all the good info lies.

Anyhow, this from Dr Fung;
Increasing blood sugar when fasting
Why does my blood sugar level increase from 86 to 112 mg/dl (4.8 – 6.2 mmol/L) when I do a 20-hour fast? Is that normal? I’m on an LCHF diet.

Thank you doctor,
Alvaro

Answer:This is a normal process. When you fast, insulin levels start to drop and this triggers a surge of counter-regulatory hormones, including noradrenalin and growth hormone. This is normal, and meant to pull some of the stored sugar from the liver into the blood. If your liver is full of sugar, it may release lots of sugar into the blood, causing the blood sugar to rise.

So, yes, blood sugar may rise during fasting. The most important question to consider, though, is where this sugar came from. If you are not eating, the rise in blood sugar may only come from your own body. You are simply moving sugar from the liver to the blood. It means that there is too much sugar stored inside your body and you need to empty it out, either with LCHF diet or intermittent fasting

Dr. Jason Fung

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations to you and Dennis!

I hope you will be able to post copies of their pics here for us to see. :)

There will probably be a weblink so I’ll attempt to add it when it’s out. Not sure when the article is due. They said there will be a week long diabetes pull out with a different persons story each day plus tips and recipes etc done in conjunction with DCUK

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. A welcome 5.3 after a fish supper.
@Krystyna23040 hug for the infuriating reading after your effort. Its rainy here on and off but the garden loves it not so much the furry girls. Soggy moggy day.
Off to see my fishman later, a bit of a drive but if he can make the effort so can I. Fancy Lemon sole whole if they’re not too big. Squeeze of lemon butter. Maybe wilted spinach. Oops wrong thread!
Have a great Friday everyone. Stay well, stay safe.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Help! I’m in a car traveling to Birmingham to pick up the minions for the weekend. Have you noticed that google maps now warns of speed cameras when used as a satnav (not the sneaky mobile ones though)?

The wonder wheel of early morning rising and travel flasks dithered around 5.5 this morning.

Bike sailed through it’s MOT - how does a car or bike “sail”?

Have a great day if you can.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.4 today which is better than I expected after a large lamb shank yesterday - such a lot of meat. I did some exercises before bed which usually help so phew!
@PenguinMum the fish supper has worked its magic again. Hope you find the lemon sole today, I love them too. Raining here as well, poor soggy moggies, cats don’t really like rain do they? Mind you I had to pick Dennis up and plonk him on the lawn this morning - he dug his heels in at the front door.
@Krystyna23040 hugs for the higher than hoped for fbg after your fast but I think it’s like a spring clean - flushing out the excess sugar you have stored in your body. Better out than in!

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Help! I’m in a car traveling to Birmingham to pick up the minions for the weekend. Have you noticed that google maps now warns of speed cameras when used as a satnav (not the sneaky mobile ones though)?

The wonder wheel of early morning rising and travel flasks dithered around 5.5 this morning.

Bike sailed through it’s MOT - how does a car or bike “sail”?

Have a great day if you can.
I didn't know Google Maps warned of speed cameras...
But I do know where they are in this area...not that I speed anyway..
I'll have to check it out next time...
Have a good trip.

>^..^<

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good morning. Alas my plans to mow the lawns are thwarted with rain.. every cloud as they say ...

So back on the lchf and my fbg the past 2 days are 4.3 and 5.3

I’m going to the loo more than a wee machine and I’m really bloaty.

Salads are fun! Just wondering what other veg I can throw into them any suggestions ?

Have a lovely weekend everyone

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Krystyna23040 , this is not random. It just means that your liver had some sugar and dumped it into your blood. We ignore outliers at our peril, it’s where all the good info lies.

Anyhow, this from Dr Fung;
Increasing blood sugar when fasting
Why does my blood sugar level increase from 86 to 112 mg/dl (4.8 – 6.2 mmol/L) when I do a 20-hour fast? Is that normal? I’m on an LCHF diet.

Thank you doctor,
Alvaro

Answer:This is a normal process. When you fast, insulin levels start to drop and this triggers a surge of counter-regulatory hormones, including noradrenalin and growth hormone. This is normal, and meant to pull some of the stored sugar from the liver into the blood. If your liver is full of sugar, it may release lots of sugar into the blood, causing the blood sugar to rise.

So, yes, blood sugar may rise during fasting. The most important question to consider, though, is where this sugar came from. If you are not eating, the rise in blood sugar may only come from your own body. You are simply moving sugar from the liver to the blood. It means that there is too much sugar stored inside your body and you need to empty it out, either with LCHF diet or intermittent fasting

Dr. Jason Fung

Good post @dunelm

And @Krystyna23040 while the rise is annoying

As Fung explained it, I read it as over many years as T2D we store sugars all around our body, and during fasting, the body rushes to save itself from what it perceives as the imminent danger of starvation.

But as we have eaten nothing, the only thing it can use IS the sugars that is hidden away, which it then floods the body with in an attempt to save itself.

I'd find the raise in sugars annoying after fasting, but hopefully realise it's just confirmation that excess sugar still lurks.

And see it as a positive that I'm squeezing out all the bad hidden away sugars on my road back to better health.... :)

( Sort of iIke sweating up in a steam room to try lose a little weight.)
the fast is what forces the body to deplete the stores of sugar stuffed into every nook and cranny inside of us..:***:

Enjoy the day, rainy or not
It's the only one we'll get until tomorrow