Libre 2 sensor failure

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I woke up this morning and there was a diagonal red line through the sensor icon. The reader won’t scan the sensor and it just times out. It’s only been activated since Monday ~ 5 days.

Can’t find any info or workarounds for this issue. Contacted abbot but they have just replied with their usual ‘generic’ response.

Any ideas ? To me it appears the sensor is completely dead .

IMG_2026.jpg

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t have the libre reader I just use my phone, could you ty scanning with your phone, (if you haven’t already), to determine if it’s the reader or sensor. I have nothing else up my sleeve if that doesn’t work, maybe someone more versed in the libre may have an idea or two.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I don’t have the libre reader I just use my phone, could you ty scanning with your phone, (if you haven’t already), to determine if it’s the reader or sensor. I have nothing else up my sleeve if that doesn’t work, maybe someone more versed in the libre may have an idea or two.

Unable to use phone (not compatible) otherwise would have tried :)

Reactions: Fndwheelie

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Wurst ,

I'm a phone user too. (I don't have the scanner.) but what I notice on your screenshot is the battery icon looks empty?
(I'm used to seeing the icon on other devices with bars..)
Could there be a power distribution issue with the device due to low battery?

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @Wurst ,

I'm a phone user too. (I don't have the scanner.) but what I notice on your screenshot is the battery icon looks empty?
(I'm used to seeing the icon on other devices with bars..)
Could there be a power distribution issue with the device due to low battery?

This is something I tried ie to give it a full charge , with no difference. At the time of photo it was charging , it was 1/2 charged when I first tried it this morning. I’ve had low power warnings before and it still scanned

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry for my ‘helpful’ suggestion, my thoughts/suspicions are if that signal on the reader could mean an issue with the NFC of the reader device rather than the sensor. Any way of doing a CTR+ALT+DEL? But tbh I’m not really able to give advice on the reader as I have never seen or used one.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Have you tried restarting your scanner? Hold the button down for ten seconds and select poweroff and restart.

Reactions: Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is something I tried ie to give it a full charge , with no difference. At the time of photo it was charging , it was 1/2 charged when I first tried it this morning. I’ve had low power warnings before and it still scanned

OK? Another idea. Your thread title says "Libre 2." (Incidentally I didn't realise they were out this early.)
But I know there were software updates for the scanner & phone app recently. Are you updated?

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Have you tried restarting your scanner? Hold the button down for ten seconds and select poweroff and restart.

Only about 20 times this morning :-(

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your scanner could be dead rather than you sensor in your arm?
That was my thought, is there anyone nearby you with a compatible phone who could download the scan app and test scan once to determine if it’s reader or sensor issues. Starting a new sensor to test the reader does seem a waste of supplies, especially if the new sensor shows the problem with your reader and you then have 2 active sensors with no way to read them until you get your hands on a new reader.

Reactions: ert

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Or possibly the device has forgotten the sensor?
Here's an odd one that came up the other day with my Libre app. I use Glimp on my phone but start the sensor with Libre.
12 days in use, the libre app fired up as I was scanning with the icon of the guy with the patch asking me to activate the sensor?
It carried on fine after that.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I’ve done the self test a couple of times , says pass every time but doesn’t say what it has done I.e what’s it actually testing for

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, @Wurst , libre2 isn't out in the UK yet so I'm not familiar with its quirks yet, but seeing as it uses bluetooth and the red icon is through what looks like some sort of radio wave symbol, I'm wondering whether you've got any other bluetooth devices running in the vicinity which might be interfering with it, and if so, whether switching them off or moving well away from them might make a difference?

Can't find the libre2 manual anywhere - if it came with the reader pack maybe it shows what the icon means?

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi, @Wurst , libre2 isn't out in the UK yet so I'm not familiar with its quirks yet, but seeing as it uses bluetooth and the red icon is through what looks like some sort of radio wave symbol, I'm wondering whether you've got any other bluetooth devices running in the vicinity which might be interfering with it, and if so, whether switching them off or moving well away from them might make a difference?

Can't find the libre2 manual anywhere - if it came with the reader pack maybe it shows what the icon means?

Thanks for the ideas , unfortunately the manual only says it means that the reader can’t communicate with the sensor and offers nothing else. Abbot customer service here is terrible , last time I had a clear sensor problem they just ignored me. After some threats they eventually replaced it:-(

Interesting idea about Bluetooth interference , i will take it into the woods and see

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I’ve read that you need a libre 2 reader for the libre 2 sensor: is your reader compatible with Libre 2? PS this may be a daft question since you’ve been using the new sensor for 5 days.
Suggest you ring Abbott helpline.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
can you confirm you are using the Libre 2 - and how you managed to get hold of one! (Ah just checked and you're in Germany - explains it!)

the 'screen shot' to me suggests the bluetooth is switched off - the red line through the communications symbol not the actual sensor itself. I'd be ringing them instead of emailing - Abbott are notorious for slow to non-existent email comms!

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
the 'screen shot' to me suggests the bluetooth is switched off - the red line through the communications symbol not the actual sensor itself

Yeah, I was wondering about that too, but as it's the reader that's being used, not a phone, I would have thought it would be permanently on, but who knows without seeing what the settings options are.

Also, even if bt was off, the op says he can't nfc scan with it either and I'm pretty sure Abbott says if it loses bt connection it should still scan.

Looks like libre2 is going to have as many squirrelly glitches as libre1!

Reactions: slip

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ended up calling Abbott who sounded like they were well aware of the described anomaly . Replacement in the post , hopefully the batch doesn’t contain any more anomalous sensors