Havent been taking it seriously what can I do

stewfox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My sisters husband (age 55) had a heart attack last night and its bought it home, I am not taking my diabetes and health issues seriously what can I do ?

I plan to do a rapid 3 month keep fit/ better diet etc programme

I was diagnoses with diabetes 2.5 years ago my current reading is 7.2 with two metformin pills and 50mmol HbA1c

It was 6.8 in March. I’m at record weight 18 stone but over 6ft 1 so don’t look massive. I’m age 54 and also have high blood pressure and cholesterol despite pills blood pressure still too high, cholesterol is fine with pills

My GP wants to put me on higher pills for diabetes and blood pressure.

I’m always tired and thirsty but I often go to bed very late (1/2am etc) and up early. I do dance but am a stress head

I also have mild neuropathy in my toes. Whole family have history re diabetes, heart issues , my father had 5 hearts attacks and 3 stokers and died age 68 his dad aged 64.

Any advice

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is as good a place to start as any: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ , which is my own little quick-start guide, as well as Dr. Jason Fung's the Diabetes Code, the website dietdoctor.com and this forum's website over at diabetes.co.uk.

The statins often increase bloodglucose, and in some cases actually cause or speed up the presence of T2. So.... Considering that going low carb could also lower your cholesterol (it'll peak first as you start losing weight, which is a good thing, believe it or not), but for me, well... Three months after starting low carb I could stop the meds. I'd already stopped the metformin because of the side effects, but I could ditch the gliclazide that replaced it, and the statins were history too. I have been in the normal range ever since, and i'll've been diabetic for three years exactly a week from now. Lost a load of weight, stopped and reversed complications... So it really is worth it to tackle this. It'll make your life and quality of life a whole lot better. Like you, i've seen complications and early death up close, and I didn't want to make my husband, who is already my carer, an early widower to boot... Turns out, once I turned my life around because I finally knew that the carbs were the problem, we actually have a better marriage. Every weekend we're off doing stuff we both enjoy. Before my diagnosis I could barely leave the house, due to crippling, painful fatigue and whatnot. I got my life back. And we get to enjoy it together. :)

Good luck!
Jo

Reactions: stewfox and Prem51

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's vital that you control the carbs in your diet if you are not already doing that; staying below 150gm/day is a good start point. There are further tablets that can be added but try to reduce the weight first. That may also improve BP and cholesterol a bit. Your HBA1C is quite good (better than mine!) so don't panic and a weight reduction should make all the difference.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You say you’re current reading is 7.2. Can you clarify what that is? I’m thinking a meter fingerprick reading. But when that’s taken is very relevant as it can vary enormously throughout the day.

Can I suggest you take a good look at low carb high fat methods of eating (keto is just a version of this). It helps many of us lose significant amounts of weight, if desired, keep our numbers down and for some even eliminate medications and achieve remission and reduce or improve complications. Try clicking these links for more detailed explanations that are well worth reading as well as jo’s Link above about low carb eating

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/ to show it really works and for motivation

and https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/ for food ideas

also https://www.dietdoctor.com/ for more food ideas and general info of carb content of foods. Lots of other websites for recipes out there too. Just use the term low carb or keto with whatever you fancy.

Also it’s very important to be able to check for yourself what’s happening so you can make the necessary adjustments day to day and meal by meal rather than wait 3, 6 or even 12 months and then have no idea what had what effect. Getting a blood glucose meter is the only way to do this (no matter what contradictory advice you may have heard - it’s usually budget based rather than anything more scientific). Please ask if you want any guidance on this.

IMPORTANT FOR ANYONE ON MEDS CONSIDERING LOWERING CARBS: if you lower your carbs then any glucose lowering meds may need to be adjusted accordingly to make sure you aren’t taking more than your new diet requires. It can cause a hypo if you have more gliclazide or insulin etc (this is not relevant for metformin on its own) than your new carb intake requires. Keep a close eye on your numbers and do this with your dr’s knowledge. Please don’t be put off by an ill informed out dated rubbishing of low carb diets or being told you should eat carbs to match meds, it should be the other way around.

Caprock94

Man all I can tell you is give the low carb high fat way of eating a try. My diet was awful for decades. Ate what I wanted, tons of sugary drinks, etc. Was pre-diabetic for a while, but didn't worry too much about it since my dad was too and he never progressed to Type2 (so far). Suddenly my blood sugar reached diabetic range this April. It scared the hell out of me. I immediately changed to this LCHF diet (after reading about it here and other places). Blood sugars normalized in a couple of weeks or so. I have lost almost 30 pounds in 3 months. The amazing part is it hasn't been that difficult. I feel like it is a diet I can stick with for life, unlike the old days of low calorie, etc. I need to lose about 15 more pounds. I know those will be tougher, but I plan to do it!

You will be surprised how quickly this can help you. Give it a shot.

stewfox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many thanks for the responses will defiantly do some back ground reading

One think I notice my new partner eats a lot more bread then I ever use and now I seem to. I also drinks a lot of sugar free fizzy drinks. I also eat a lot of these baguettes type stuff but have actually read the labels for the first time and see how high they are in salt some 45% of your daily amount. I eat a lot of jacket potatoes chips I assume there all carbs

Re 7.2

I assume it refers to this

The target HbA1c value for people with type 2 diabetes is 6.5% or 48 mmol/mol. If you get an HbA1c result at this level or below, you're on the right track with your diabetes control. If your HbA1c result is above this target, there is room for some improvement.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Everything you mentioned is high carb. Time to take a good look at your diet, and go from there. You can do this! :)
Many thanks for the responses will defiantly do some back ground reading

One think I notice my new partner eats a lot more bread then I ever use and now I seem to. I also drinks a lot of sugar free fizzy drinks. I also eat a lot of these baguettes type stuff but have actually read the labels for the first time and see how high they are in salt some 45% of your daily amount. I eat a lot of jacket potatoes chips I assume there all carbs

Re 7.2

The target HbA1c value for people with type 2 diabetes is 6.5% or 48 mmol/mol. If you get an HbA1c result at this level or below, you're on the right track with your diabetes control. If your HbA1c result is above this target, there is room for some improvement.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Re 7.2

The 50mmol you refer to will be your hb1ac. It can also be expressed as 6.7% this is the 3 month average. Same thing different units https://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-units-converter.html

7.2 could potentially be % or mmol but each refer to different tests. The the unit is crucial to know which it is.
7.2% would be an hb1ac of 55mmol/mol. Ie the 3 month average
Or it could be a fasting glucose level of 7.2mmol/l ie the right here and now moment in time measurement.

It’s good to get the actual numbers (and units) from the surgery each time you’re tested x not just a subjective ok or fine or normal. Their interpretation of the results might not be what most of us here or you would consider informative or even accurate. You are entitled to it and in England should be available online (or failing that as a printout).