Type 1'stars R Us

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Yum. You're quite the foodie. I had to google scrambled tofu. I thought it might be scrambled eggs with pieces of tofu, but no, there is such a recipe as scrambled tofu. :) I'm new to this insulin calculation malarky. How many carbs are in each of these meals? 20 grams of carbs in both? (I've been googling ingredients.)

About that, yes. I think one had 21g (the toast was 15g) and the other had 25g - mainly the chickpeas in sauce.

We like food. I'm vegan, he's veggie and we both like cooking. We prefer home-made foods, and fresh when possible so we tend to get a wide variety of foods, and a lot of different tastes. Adds to life's pleasures :)

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
My darling sweet potato boyfriend has remembered to out the bins out ... once since I have known him.
And that was a day early.

I've just learnt to accept he struggles to remember things that happen EVERY SINGLE WEEK.

Mine diarises everything. That way he doesn't forget. He hates that he's getting forgetful with time, so uses his calendar to help him out. I'm a forgettie at home, but never at work. It's as if I use up my my share of memory in the office, and have none to spare for home.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Himself does everything on his phone or laptop ... if he is going to record it at all.
Failing that, I think I am his "off-chip memory".

I think it is easy because we have something to remember most nights - if you get the veg box out on Sunday, you remember climbing on Monday, a night off on Tuesday, rubbish and recycling out on Wednesday, tidy (not clean) the house on Thursday for the cleaner on Friday and then chill until Sunday.

He also walks past the neighbours bins already out on the street when he gets in from work on Wednesday night. But I think he is in his own little world at that time and wouldn't notice a pair of T-rex playing hopscotch, let alone a box of paper and cardboard innocently sitting on the pavement.

I now want a picture of a pair of T-Rex playing hopscotch and it seems to only exist in my mind.
If only I could draw.
I'll have to satisfy myself with t-rex racing:

Oh that video cracked me up

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all, damp here, well more wet than damp really! Was up early to take daughter to school early as she's off on a residential long weekend - teachers are amazing, I couldn't face a long weekend away with ~200 12 yr old girls, but at least they're in France and the french are good at producing certain quaff-able beverages........! She wished me good luck - getting through the weekend with just the wife :hilarious: (If I haven't posted by end of play monday you'll know we've killed each other!:rolleyes:)

On the BG front I was low this morning, and yesterday I didn't do too badly after the 5.something, ended the day on 6.1 and was fairly steady in range for most the day.

On the cat front, we're letting him out tomorrow!
@slip sorry if I missed it in a previous post but what was wrong with your cat?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As you are our local tofu expert, @WuTwo , I have a question for you. I dried and marinated a pack of tofu today, and then went shopping and came back with things for a completely different dinner than the one I had planned. Yes, I'm funny like that. Tomorrow will be party at the neighbours, so no cooking, sunday will probably be leftovers and a big fat hangover, so definitely no cooking my complicated planned meal.
So do you think I can leave my tofu in the fridge, marinading away until monday?

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@slip sorry if I missed it in a previous post but what was wrong with your cat?

He had or is recovering from Triaditis (inflammation of three internal organs usually liver, pancreas and small intestine - fortunately he didn't show signs of intestinal inflammation which could be 'messy'!) as I say he's recovering well now and the Vets booked an All-inclusive Bahamas trip on the proceeds :D

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As you are our local tofu expert, @WuTwo , I have a question for you. I dried and marinated a pack of tofu today, and then went shopping and came back with things for a completely different dinner than the one I had planned. Yes, I'm funny like that. Tomorrow will be party at the neighbours, so no cooking, sunday will probably be leftovers and a big fat hangover, so definitely no cooking my complicated planned meal.
So do you think I can leave my tofu in the fridge, marinading away until monday?
It'll probably be really strong. I'm worried about the tofu because it doesn't have a long shelf life once you opened it and don't have it submerged in water. I suppose you can cook it and eat it another time?

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
He had or is recovering from Triaditis (inflammation of three internal organs usually liver, pancreas and small intestine - fortunately he didn't show signs of intestinal inflammation which could be 'messy'!) as I say he's recovering well now and the Vets booked an All-inclusive Bahamas trip on the proceeds :D
Glad he’s on the mend. One of my cats had a severe reaction to her booster a couple of months ago which meant a few visits to the vet - she had a high temp, dehydration and all of her limbs were stiff due to the inflammation. Both cats are insured but the vet treated her for free because it was due to the vaccination. She always manages to fall ill when we are due to go on holiday though!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

If it's submerged in the marinade, and in an airtight container then yes. If it's not submerged but airtight, try and turn it a couple of times. If it's not airtight, I might not trust it that long, but if its in the fridge it should keep. .....just keep it well damp, or cook it off, and keep the cooked dish.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If it's submerged in the marinade, and in an airtight container then yes. If it's not submerged but airtight, try and turn it a couple of times. If it's not airtight, I might not trust it that long, but if its in the fridge it should keep. .....just keep it well damp, or cook it off, and keep the cooked dish.
It'll probably be really strong. I'm worried about the tofu because it doesn't have a long shelf life once you opened it and don't have it submerged in water. I suppose you can cook it and eat it another time?
I could fry it tomorrow and keep the fried bits until monday. Or maybe I'll take my chances and see how it smells by monday. 42 Years of experience without a fridge sometimes but not wanting to throw away food have taught me my plumbing can handle quite a lot of unwise eating decisions...
Thanks for the advice!

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I could fry it tomorrow and keep the fried bits until monday. Or maybe I'll take my chances and see how it smells by monday. 42 Years of experience without a fridge sometimes but not wanting to throw away food have taught me my plumbing can handle quite a lot of unwise eating decisions...
Thanks for the advice!
I suppose you can mix up dinner a bit or share it with everyone around the table. Tofu kebabs with salad, or with soup and rice or on salad. or as you said fry it and eat it another time.

Reactions: Antje77

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the advice!
Or if you're at home during the day, have it for lunch instead

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Reactions: WuTwo

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
or share it with everyone around the table.
My dogs are very much in favour of this solution!
I suppose you can mix up dinner a bit
Or if you're at home during the day, have it for lunch instead
All good ideas. Stupid thing is that I'll need to go shopping only for a new piece on monday if I eat it before, and I have everything I need to last me to wednesday or thursday.
Oh well, we'll see :)

Reactions: WuTwo and hh1

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Greeting my fellow teabags and pumpers hope you all had a good day.

Just had my worst hypo for a long time dropped really fast from BG 3.5 to BG 2.4 and heading was spinning felt really woozy. panic sets in so cup of coffee 6 sugars and disconnect the pump. Took about 10 minutes before even felt remotely normalish. Now waiting for the inevitable huge spike

Welcome back @porl69

Reactions: porl69

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends,

I'm not doing too shabby, I didn't correct my 10.7 last night so I landed on 8.7. Fiasp didn't let me down and it is damp and grey here. My darling sweet potato bf forgot to take the bins out, so I'm giving him the death stare. :hilarious:

My 2 year old grandson does one of those when you say no. Both hilarious and cute!

Reactions: WuTwo

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll have to satisfy myself with t-rex racing: (video)

Very It's a Knockout.

We had a company away day once which climaxed with a race where the organisers had got hold of some of the old costumes from it's a knockout, and I was lucky enough to be the runner in one. I now have a huge amount of sympathy for all those people on the programme who were seen wandering off in completely the wrong direction, or lying on the ground unable to move. Though our team did win the race (my team were responsible for picking me up when I fell over and pointing me in the right direction) :)

Reactions: porl69

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you've been wondering about insulin sensitivity factor calculations, this is the closest I've found to being spot on. There is so much noise (so many variables) in the system, I was beginning to believe I didn't really have a correction factor. But I do, following the calculation below. And it's useful.
http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/wp-content/uploads/PDF/insulin_sensitivity_factor.pdf

None of it works for me. What I have 1 day will not work the next. Too many variables. I wing it with every meal depending on where I am, what I have done, what I am going to do and what I am eating. I then correct or eat accordingly. Or not at all on a good day. All made easier by my self funded Libre. A fantastic piece of kit. It is eating into my old age care/funeral costs, but if there is no money left because the NHS won’t fund this relatively cheap object then it will cost them a shedload later.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning everyone, hope you're all keeping well. Mr B is a very good bin man and our neighbour even better when we're away. It was sweaty betty hot in France but the sky was so bright blue that waking yesterday to UK grey sky, rain and cold, a 15C drop was a shock to the system
Madam BG was tolerable,only a couple of hypos!! ate bread, drank rose wine and walked
Fingers crossed for good weather, the garden has escaped again but I have to say I love the colours
Glad to hear your cat is on the mend @slip