Trouble with a statin

Ceedy

Dislikes
On TV .soaps, most manufactored poip groups, all reality shows, most usa RUBBISH.

Drivers on mobiles, most politicians
During my approaching 3 years as a T2 I've have a couple of changes of statins due to the odd side effects. had simvastatin first ( the cheap one) then on to Pravastation, for a while, got tiredness & muscle pain here..

Just completed 1 month of Atorvastin ( lipitor) and although I usually have a read of the bumf leaflet I missed it 1st time round .

So had a read with my new packet last week. and one side effect is increased Blood Gloucose ??.

Now coincidentally my Blood glucose has been on the up recently for no apparent reason.

Its been around 8- 10 in the mornings usually 6-7 ..

And my very recently HBA1c was over 7 ( up from 6.3 )

Now in agreement with my GP as my Cholesterol control very good I going off statins for a month to see how it goes.
Will get another habic in 3 months to see whats going on.

Has anyone else come across this side effect ?

Chris

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It's a conspiracy.

Drugs to control your Cholesterol effect your BG.
Drugs to control your BG effect your Cholesterol.

They're keeping themselves in work!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Chris,

No experience of Statins or their effect on bg but good to see that you have come off them with the consent of your GP, here is some useful information from Heart UK on cholesterol and tips on how to keep it under control:

http://www.heartuk.org.uk/index.php?/healthy_living/

Nigel

Ceedy

Dislikes
On TV .soaps, most manufactored poip groups, all reality shows, most usa RUBBISH.

Yes its only this statin (Lipitor) thats had any reference to blood sugars ... the others were Ok ... well, they never mentioned it ?? :wink: but then my BG has been good @ 6's with them.

That not that the others were free of side effects :shock:

Having another HBAic in 2 months to see whats happening.
But have Been off the statin for a few days now
but the morning blood sugar is still high @ 8,9 or 10 :cry:

Chris

Ceedy

Dislikes

Well been off this statin for a week now and BG seems to be creeping down..

Eg. yesterday.. was 4.3 when got home from work ( sandwich lunch etc)

2hrs after evening nosh 7.2
4hrs after nosh 4.4 ..

then beddie byes .. :D

twas 6.9 though this morning after a cuppa but before brekkie! :?:

Chris

pollyr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
political correctness in any form
I have taken statins for a number of years (simvastatin) without any apparent side effects. However I had pancreatitis two years ago and was advised by the hospital consultant in Cyprus to stop taking the statin and consult my GP back in the UK. Consequently I didnt take them again until 4 months ago but I have been suffering from muscle cramps and aches and pancreatic type pain during the night which affected my sleeping patterns. I have now stopped them again and my GP will check my cholesterol in a months time to see if it has risen. I have never had problems with cholesterol but I was advised to take them when I became T2 diabetic about 8 yrs ago.

Pollyr