Type 1 Novomix 30?

esco97

So I was given the Novomix 30 pen from the pharmacy just today even though I've been using Novorapid since I was diagnosed which was the start of 2015. I've never used Novomix 30, so I'm wondering, is it the same as Novorapid? Can Novomix be used before/after meals even though I use Levemir every 12 hours? It's Friday so I'll have to wait up until Wesdnesday if my prescription was a mistake.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Don’t use it before checking.

Novomix 30 is a mixed insulin designed to do the job of both Levemir and Novorapid in a twice daily injection.

I suspect it’s an error.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you have enough novorapid to get you through to wednesday? If not, is there an out of hours number to call? I don't know how things work where you live, but in the Netherlands there are emergency pharmacies for weekends and nights and they definitely have novorapid. They also don't want to be responsible for people ending in hospital because they denied someone needed insulin.
If all else fails, a shout out in a local facebook group (whatever type of group, as long as it's local and has a lot of members) may work.

esco97

Do you have enough novorapid to get you through to wednesday? If not, is there an out of hours number to call? I don't know how things work where you live, but in the Netherlands there are emergency pharmacies for weekends and nights and they definitely have novorapid. They also don't want to be responsible for people ending in hospital because they denied someone needed insulin.
If all else fails, a shout out in a local facebook group (whatever type of group, as long as it's local and has a lot of members) may work.
I have just about enough left. In the past when I've been out, it's been a hassle to get the emergency pen, gotta run back & forth from places and they look frustrated towards me even though they ****** up and delayed the prescription order. Thanks though.

(edited by mod for not very disguised profanity)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Good to hear you'll manage! And fully agree with the frustrating hassle (same here), especially as they are the ones that messed up things in the first place.
Still better than dka though.

Reactions: esco97

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It sounds like it's a pharmacy error, it does happen, and it's why I insist on checking my bag before I leave and insist on them sorting it there and then. (It was Levemir they got wrong with me once - gave me that instead of Novorapid. I waited, patiently, despite all the looks of evil I was getting from staff and the ever-increasing queue.)

Novomix is definitely not a Novorapid substitute! (Are they the same colour pens? I've supported a student who used it, but I never saw the Novomix insulin pens as they were dealt with outside of college time, and he only had Novorapid to deal with a certain level of hyper before bed or very occasionally at lunchtime.)