danh1977

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mushrooms.
Hello
A couple of years ago I had acute pancreatitis, which involved a week in intensive care and a couple of weeks in a high dependency unit. The cause was a gallstone blocking my bile duct, needless to say this was removed and a few months later I had my gall bladder removed.

Unfortunately, I was advised that I had necrosis of the pancreas and that at some point down the line I would need to take insulin....

Some way down the line was approx. 6 months.
I am currently take metformin SR 1000mg once a day and 2 insulin injections daily.

At present I am experiencing really bad gas/flatulance which at times is uncontrollable, I work in a busy office environment and am finding it harder and harder to suppress, without the need to get up and leave the office every 5 minutes. Also social occasions are very problematic and at present I am not doing any.

I have previously taken metformin in a smaller dosage but this didn’t help.

If I stop taking the metformin could this stop the problem?

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Danny

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If I stop taking the metformin could this stop the problem?
Possibly, I'd say. I've never been on metformin but problems downstairs seem to be a major side effect.

Your profile says you're T2. You might want to check on type 3C diabetes as well, as from your story it sounds like your diabetes comes from a damaged pancreas and isn't typical for T2.

Good luck and I hope you get rid of your very annoying problem soon!

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had acute pancreatitis in 2005. My gall bladder was removed. The surgeon said at the time that I might well end up with diabetes. Which essentially turned out to be true.

On flatulence. Low carb eating has helped me a lot. And I have never been prescribed metaformin.

Deadeye_Pete

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Danny,

Do you take creon?
That can have some unpleasant side effects in the gas department.

Your pancreatitis sounds similar to mine, although i managed to dodge the intensive care part.

With type 3C diabetes, watch out for hypos. Not only does the pancreas create insulin to keep blood sugar down, but it creates glucagon which signals the liver to release glucose into the blood. Without a working pancreas, you get no glucagon when your blood sugar goes low, so hypos can be more prolonged.

danh1977

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mushrooms.
Hi Danny,

Do you take creon?
That can have some unpleasant side effects in the gas department.

Your pancreatitis sounds similar to mine, although i managed to dodge the intensive care part.

With type 3C diabetes, watch out for hypos. Not only does the pancreas create insulin to keep blood sugar down, but it creates glucagon which signals the liver to release glucose into the blood. Without a working pancreas, you get no glucagon when your blood sugar goes low, so hypos can be more prolonged.

Yes, I do take creon. It seemed to be the only thing to help with the gut problems.
So would you suggest reducing the creon instead of stopping the metformin? As a test to see what happens?

Thanks

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Danny, you’ve received some helpful info, however we as a forum can’t advise on any dosage changes, please consult your medical team before adjusting doses or omitting meds.

danh1977

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mushrooms.
Hi Danny, you’ve received some helpful info, however we as a forum can’t advise on any dosage changes, please consult your medical team before adjusting doses or omitting meds.

No problem. I will speak to my doctor.

Reactions: Rachox

ImSpiritus

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Danny,

I too had the same symptoms with Metformin on both quick and slow release. For me I was also at that point found to need insulin also. I managed to get my BG under control and stopped my metformin. Tried it for a week and then informed my DSN that I had stopped and what my BG count was over the week.

I would never advise to stop something first without consulting your Dr/Consultant or DSN. Could be a good reason why you are on them, but for me I have managed totally ok with just my insulin.

The gas produced is rotten also, so I am glad I am off the things.