Pregnancy targets ?

jenni34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I'm currently 11 weeks pregnant I'm using a the libre system.Taking 14 units of toujeo and between 5 and 6 of humalog

Finding target levels near on impossible having around 3 hypos a day and libre says blood sugar for last 7 days 7.4 which I should be on 5 to 6s.

Once I'm below a certain level I begin to feel horrendous and totally sick .

Target seems impossible as the humalog doesn't really peak til around 3 hour mark

How can I keep my levels in check with out these hypos and high?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Some thoughts
1) how accurate is your libre? It works well for many but for others it can be drastically (several mmol/L) out. Do some checks with an old fashioned glucometer. I'm not the best person to talk about this, but I believe it can be made significantly more accurate (plus give you hypo and hyper alerts) by adding a miao miao transmitter and using the xdrip app. (The libre is completely inaccurate for me, plus I'm allergic to it.)
2) Basal. How confident are you that this is right? Your clinic should go over this with you.
3) Injection sites. If you inject into an overused site (lumpy fat/lipohytrophy (probably got the spelling wrong)) this can mess everything up.

Talk to your clinic. Do you have a number to call? They are supposed to help you. The hypos may well be causing the hypers as it's very hard not to overtreat them.

Good luck. Try not to panic over your levels. T1s have been having successful pregnancies for more than half a century, before the libre or even glucometers were available.

jenni34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for reply I do test with finger prick to make sure when I get a low or very high reading .

When I first found out I was pregnant reduced toujeo to 10 units and 4 units of humalog but I always have dawn phenomenon and wake up high 7s 8s have been advised to up my basal.

And I always end up over treating my hypos .

Reactions: NaijaChick

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Try to use your Libre for working out how much and how quickly your hypo treatments work. (When not hypoing) I don’t know what you use, but I found picking something I don’t particularly like -Dextrose-ensures I don’t over treat. I only ever use pure sugar and do not eat anything else. I found I needed a lot less to get back in range than I thought.