Protein sensitivity

gav_red

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think I'm one of those people who is very sensitive to protein and am trying to put a figure on how much I can tolerate in a meal.

I know a lot of people have a rough idea of their carb tolerance but does anyone know their protein tolerance? Be interesting to hear from other super protein sensitive folks.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
My (very limited) understanding is that if you go low carb you have to count protein at 50% the rate of carbs if you have more than a certain amount. Not sure if this applies to T2s or just T1s.

But I guess you can find out if you keep a careful food / blood sugar diary.

Good luck.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well it's test, test, test really isn't it. Interesting about how type 2s can allow for protein though, I suppose you would just have to have less??

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have found that I can tolerate it in the day but I can’t in the evening. If I eat very early it’s ok but not a 7pm meal with a normal amount of protein. My levels are high all the next morning.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @gav_red.
Could you tell us what you have found so far?
For example what happens if you have say 2 eggs and no toast or other carbs/ sugars for a meal. Are you measuring bsls? If so how long after?
And same for say cheese, meat etc.
And it might help to look up a thing called the insulin index which gives an idea how various foods including some protein foods affect bsls.
https://optimising-nutrition.com/food-insulin-index

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I'm one of those people who is very sensitive to protein and am trying to put a figure on how much I can tolerate in a meal.

I know a lot of people have a rough idea of their carb tolerance but does anyone know their protein tolerance? Be interesting to hear from other super protein sensitive folks.
What has led you to this conclusion?

M

Member496333

Some are affected, some aren’t. It appears multifactorial, and perhaps hinges largely upon the level of insulin sensitivity in the individual. Specifically, I would think those who have a tendency for the liver to pour out unwanted glucose in the mornings (dawn phenomenon) may run into issues with excessive protein. Excessive being a very personal thing. Regardless, protein is mildly insulinogenic so it’s going to have some effect, even if very small. Personally I used to see measurably raised fasting numbers. Now not so much, but I still don’t go overboard on a daily basis.

gav_red

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @gav_red.
Could you tell us what you have found so far?
For example what happens if you have say 2 eggs and no toast or other carbs/ sugars for a meal. Are you measuring bsls? If so how long after?
And same for say cheese, meat etc.
And it might help to look up a thing called the insulin index which gives an idea how various foods including some protein foods affect bsls.
https://optimising-nutrition.com/food-insulin-index
I've found that although my diet is generally high fat that if I have a protein heavy meal my numbers shoot up.
Would be interesting if I could put a number on it to give me some guidance when preparing meals.

Thanks for the link will check that out.

gav_red

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've found that although my diet is generally high fat that if I have a protein heavy meal my numbers shoot up.
Would be interesting if I could put a number on it to give me some guidance when preparing meals.

Thanks for the link will check that out.
Just checked out the insulin index. Really useful stuff!!! Is this common knowledge because it should be??

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I have found that going high protein and eating x amount of carbs combined results in a higher bg level, so if I go for a high protein meal I tend to go very light on carbs or not bother eating carbs at all with that meal. Result for me is a better reading.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Lately I've increased protein and lowered fat somewhat besides cheese and not carb counted as dilligently as I would usually but that has resulted in very low 4's lately so not sure what happened there. It's highly individual in its essence, I would say to try and test as much as you can!

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having diabetes...... people who wear backpacks on the tube
So what is regarded as high protein . I eat a lot of meat eggs and cheese and use a lot of cream and butter. My morning reads are between 5.1 and 6.2