Any Idea’s On Rising BG Overnight

A33Peter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
85964CF4-8E6D-46D7-966D-117909A5C5B9.png
85964CF4-8E6D-46D7-966D-117909A5C5B9.png
Hi All

New to this forum so Hi . I’ve been type 1 for 19 years now, and have always had a issue with being slightly “Insulin Resistent” in the morning, I take 3 units of insulin in the morning no matter what my blood sugars are saying, just to prevent them from going high as I start to move around etc.

Recently I’ve tried to be abit healthier, eating less fatty foods, not snacking so much on rubbish, but since I’ve started that I’ve noticed my blood can peak and trough quite a lot, even with just a salad.

Any of you have any ideas as to why blood sugars would go high from chicken and a salad? I’ve assumed it because my body (shameful as it sounds), isn’t used to being treated so well so is adjusting, but I’m not sure.

The picture below shows my blood over night, at around 0400 this morning it has shot up to 12.8, I’ve not eaten or drank, just woken up and there we have it, it’s risen. I could understand if I had eaten a huge amount before bed and it’s slowly digesting, but like I say, the last thing I eat was dinner at 1830 last night.

I’ve complete a DAFNE course a long time ago, and have always been ‘well controlled’, so this isn’t a cry for help, just wondering if any of you guys had any idea’s as to why, for example this morning, my sugars went up when really......logically they shouldn’t have.

Thanks all, and have a good day

Pete

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, to be honest I’m not sure why this happens. I know after waking the liver can dump glucose into the body, but this is way before I get up at 7am. If you see by my graph it’s very similar to yours. I’m just playing with the Libre for the first time, I dropped to about 6 between 3-4:30 am then gone up to 9 by the time I wake up. I am testing today what happens so as of yet I haven’t eaten but taken my 40units of insulin. I am a type 2 so things are a bit different to type 1 for you.
95651C7E-6D2C-47E0-B2F9-599BA7BC52E7.png

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I really can’t tell why it should have risen this morning but there are a few possible reasons: you’ve encountered a bug and are fighting it; if you didn’t have carbohydrate at supper your digestive system’s slowly begun to turn protein into sugars; it’s the end of your basal’s effectiveness - new cartridge or pump vial needed; it’s just one of those T1 days. If it were me I’d consider changing the insulin cartridge/vial and seeing if it happened again.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. What basal insulin are you using and timings? I switched from Levemir to Tresiba which helped reduce my bg rising at the same time as yours.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I think it must be your long-acting running out. I no longer have the dawn phenomenon now that I'm on insulin. Here is my trace from last night. I ran for 20 minutes at 8.30 am.
IMG_4980.PNG

Last edited:

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Our oh-so-helpful livers can do two glucose dumps - the dawn one at around 3am (for me that’s regular as clockwork, and I programme my pump to deal with that) and the slightly less predictable “foot-on-the-floor” one, that happens within an hour of me getting up, although not reliably. I have to be reactive rather than proactive with that one.

You could adjust your basal so that it has a better chance of nailing the one in the small hours - what are you using? And the only way to deal with the FOTF is to watch for the rise to start and nail it with some fast acting, in my experience.

Reactions: hodders

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @A33Peter, that's an interesting graph you've got there!
Is it a one off? Put it down to diabetes being stupid as usual!
If not, then what insulin are you using & when? That would be a very big & early dawn phenomenon - climbing about 7mmol/L. Possible though.
I wonder, could the graph be slightly high & you might in fact have gone low enough around 3:45 to trigger a liver dump?
I always think that it's quite fascinating trying to work these things out.. except for the fact that these are real people being effected, in this case you!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a t2 not on any meds when I used a single libre I found I rose steadily throughout the night starting about an hour after falling asleep. Nothing dramatic but almost always there. I’d already fallen after evening meals so not that. I came up blank with ideas as to why.

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As a t2 not on any meds when I used a single libre I found I rose steadily throughout the night starting about an hour after falling asleep. Nothing dramatic but almost always there. I’d already fallen after evening meals so not that. I came up blank with ideas as to why.

Yep, me too. We have supper about 6 and go to bed about 10. I have tried eating cheese before going to bed, acv, and a piece of buttered toast as advised by my DN, but it’s just a steady rise from falling asleep to DP in the morning. Then it is a slow progress throughout the day for my reading to come down to about 5 or 6. This is all according to my Libre readings.
Low insulin production maybe. I really don’t know. Just to add, I am a type 2.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just got an insulin blood test kit from medichecks to test that theory but before I could get the blood taken they withdrew the test unless it was done in London which is not practical for me. Could that be an option for you to do?

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I just got an insulin blood test kit from medichecks to test that theory but before I could get the blood taken they withdrew the test unless it was done in London which is not practical for me. Could that be an option for you to do?

Sorry HSSS, I should have been clearer.
I did do an insulin resistance test with medichecks earlier on this year.
Here is the thread.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/insulin-resistance-test.164062/
It shows that I am just below the normal range of my insulin production.

Reactions: HSSS

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I currently have very similar problems:
Currently taking 9units tresiba at bedtime. I'm very happy with my daytime levels, taking approx 8-10units of fiasp at mealtimes. However, my problem is; rising BG at 3am through to 10am. I need to react with fiasp even if not eating in order to maintain good levels.
I am going to up my tresiba 0.5 over next day or so to see if this helps. However, I fear on days of high exercise that my daytime levels may become too low and difficult to manage. It's very frustrating that I'm getting this period of rising BG in the early hours of the morning! If I can't get the tresiba adjustment to successfully deal with it then I'm stuck with taking adjustment doses during the early hours which is a PITA!

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
If it keeps repeating at the same time every night a pump can assist.

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for the suggestion. However, after being type 1 for 45 years, I lead a very active lifestyle and the thought of a pump doesn't appeal. I changed to fiasp/tresiba about 12 months ago and my control improved a lot, Hba1c now around 6.5. It's just the early morning highs that are plaguing me atm.

buckmr2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise
I'm on Fiasp and Levemir.
To get my night time levels steady I changed from 1 Levemir injection at 6am to 1 at 6am and 1 at 6pm each with half of the single Levemir dose.
Nice and steady now and as the post above extra quick acting units when I get up as sugar levels always rise before even eating any carbs when I wake
Chances are it's your background insulin running out