Eye test

Gaffer type 1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Food lol
Time of work, can't drive home after, wife has to finish work early to collect me plus my diabetes centre seem to only be for eye screening apart from that they are lacking in knowledge of diabetes.,so I begrudge going there as I went not long again to ask to see a dietian or diabetic nurse and she looked at me like I asked what was the square inch of 1005
Why do you say "dreaded"?
I find it a bit uncomfortable when they put the drops in and the blurred vision for an hour or so is inconvenient but would far rather have the test to identify any problems which may be rectified than suddenly go blind.

I consider all the testing - retinal screening, cholesterol, kidney function, liver function, ... to be one of the few benefits of having diabetes. If I didn't have diabetes, I would have none of these tests and any problems would show up much later when they are harder to treat.

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have the screening every 3-4 months and I don't have the eye drops put in as I tell them that I don't want them and they never have put them in since 2010 and you can tell them not to put them in if you don't want them but the rest of the test is okay as I have that but you don't need to say that it's a dreaded eyes test as it's just like going to the options for a ordinary eye test and they check every part of your eyes and you are not blurred eye after it

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Jordi
Do you do anything to help your eyes dilate before you get to the test?
Does lack eye drops have any impact on the efficiency of the test, ie does it cause the images to be less quality than with the drops ...
???
Thanks

Gaffer type 1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Food lol
Say what I like
I have the screening every 3-4 months and I don't have the eye drops put in as I tell them that I don't want them and they never have put them in since 2010 and you can tell them not to put them in if you don't want them but the rest of the test is okay as I have that but you don't need to say that it's a dreaded eyes test as it's just like going to the options for a ordinary eye test and they check every part of your eyes and you are not blurred eye after it

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Jordi
Do you do anything to help your eyes dilate before you get to the test?
Does lack eye drops have any impact on the efficiency of the test, ie does it cause the images to be less quality than with the drops ...
???
Thanks
I don’t have the test done with eye drops either, my reasons are because of complications from other conditions and it would be unsafe to have the drops. I don’t do anything to prepare my eyes, but I have a human look into my eyes rather than the camera (to avoid the flash) taking a picture. It takes a minute or two longer but they have never said it causes a problem. They switched me to this method after a chaotic test with the eye drops and camera, resulted in a seizure, damage to me and their machine, at my first eye test. If you have issues with the drops then I would talk to them when you get the letter through you can call them and discuss it.

Reactions: Energize

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I'm not a fan either @Gaffer type 1 but i'd rather have it done and know where I stand as i'd really hate to lose my sight, just grin and bear it as they say..

Dark Horse

Does lack eye drops have any impact on the efficiency of the test, ie does it cause the images to be less quality than with the drops
For some people, the lack of eye drops will make the images completely unassessable and they will need to be recalled. For some people, lack of eye drops will reduce the sensitivity of the test, i.e. fewer cases needing further investigation will be picked up. For some people (mainly younger people) the images will be fully assessable without drops. The difference between them may only become apparent when the images are examined back in the office.

D

Deleted member 308541

The rule here about eye drops at eye tests at the optometrists here in Bundaberg, if you do not consent to eye drops you will not get your eyes tested.

Reactions: Dark Horse

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been without any eye drops for a while now and I have the effects of the diabetes in my eyes but as I am on strong pain killers my eyes are dilated and I can get away with it but it doesn't effect my results for the eye tests and that goes for the options as well as they check the back of my eyes with a bright white light and that I can tolerate and that is to see how far the blood vessels have popped and the blood is in my eyes but it is nothing as you can't see it and it doesn't effect your eyes much and that is how my eyes are and I use reactions in glasses as it's better for me as they react with the light and they don't give me any problems with bright sun light and the shade and that I have done since I was diagnosed and I started to get head aches or migraines and I have them due to my diabetes