Disappointed with latest hba1c result

Sandie58

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I was diagnosed as pre diabetic in January this year with an hba1c of 43. I was very concerned so took action to change my lifestyle. I started a low carb regime, cutting out bread, cake, potatoes, pasta and rice as well as all sweets and chocolate. I lost over 2 and a half stone in weight and started to exercise regularly by walking every day and joining the local gym. I was advised by my GP to get a further hba1c done after 6 months and I have got the result today which is 42. I am disappointed that the result is not lower after I tried so hard. Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
To perhaps relax a little? Not on the carbs, but to celebrate the great job you have done with weight loss and energy.
Do you test your levels at all? Have you seen a difference?

Reactions: Sad21+

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Welcome. Well done on fighting off diabetes and achieving closer to the normal range result. I think your efforts should be celebrated. You have to be in for the long haul. There's no quick fix.

Reactions: Sad21+ and Prem51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I seem to be able to bounce rocks off the top of normal.
I suspect that somehow I am stuck here - after a lifetime of being pushed to eat low fat and low calorie - I think that I have spent about 1/4 of my adult life with a diet sheet - when I decided to set fire to them all I had a ring binder stuffed full of them and it got the barbecue going without any need of fire lighters. That was the day after diagnosis as type two.
My first efforts were at 50 gm of carbs a day, now I am under 40 gm per day and my Hba1c is the same. Despite getting involved with morris dancing and going out a lot more, sometimes hauling great heavy Maypoles around or my melodeon and drum, and I have started to practice dancing as well - but - well - 42, the answer to life, the universe and everything.
On a practical note - I feel great, I do keep finding that my favourite clothes are too large, but I can make more. Life is good.
Think about what you would be feeling if you did not know what your Hba1c was/is. How does now compare with before? It really only ever can be about quality of life, never just a number.

Reactions: Prem51

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Think where it might have been without that intervention!

Reactions: Prem51

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I always like to warn people that if things don't make sense and you are doing everything right, you could be a misdiagnosed type 1/LADA. Too many of us are misdiagnosed as a type 2 because type 1/LADA is very slow developing, up to 8 years even. I was!
So if your numbers start to get worse, and you are doing everything right, keep it in mind as a possibility. The only way to tell is to get testing done.

silentman

I was diagnosed as pre diabetic in January this year with an hba1c of 43. I was very concerned so took action to change my lifestyle. I started a low carb regime, cutting out bread, cake, potatoes, pasta and rice as well as all sweets and chocolate. I lost over 2 and a half stone in weight and started to exercise regularly by walking every day and joining the local gym. I was advised by my GP to get a further hba1c done after 6 months and I have got the result today which is 42. I am disappointed that the result is not lower after I tried so hard. Does anyone have any suggestions please?

I am having a similar experience lost over 2 stone through exercise and change in diet but unfortunately the opposite has happened and my HBA1c has increased from 43 to 44 in a short time, I think you have done really well to have achieved a reduction and are doing the right things keep up which what you’ve been doing and good luck in the future

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am having a similar experience lost over 2 stone through exercise and change in diet but unfortunately the opposite has happened and my HBA1c has increased from 43 to 44 in a short time, I think you have done really well to have achieved a reduction and are doing the right things keep up which what you’ve been doing and good luck in the future
Is the change in diet low carb or low fat (and possibly higher carb)? The weight loss and exercise will still be helping other aspects of your health. Don’t lose sight of that. Congratulate yourself . Not everything is diabetes.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was “diagnosed” with Prediabetes too in 2014. To me prediabetes is T2 diabetes just at the earlier stages. And it is good that you and I caught it early. I know we are all different but I wonder how closely your diet matches mine.

On a slightly different note. It seems that Prediabetes is at least being picked up now, giving people a chance to deal with it sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

silentman

Is the change in diet low carb or low fat (and possibly higher carb)? The weight loss and exercise will still be helping other aspects of your health. Don’t lose sight of that. Congratulate yourself . Not everything is diabetes.

It’s been as you suggest low fat and high carb
My last HBA1c results show I have gone from 41 to 44 and it was only then that I started to take things seriously and joined this group, looking back over the last few months it’s now obvious that carbs in my diet are far to high and I am presently trying to adjust my intake and have just obtain a meter to help identify problems,
I have been attending a Healthier you Diabetes Prevention Program for three weeks, next week is all about nutrition so it will be interesting to see what is advised on carbs.

Reactions: Prem51 and Antje77

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s been as you suggest low fat and high carb
My last HBA1c results show I have gone from 41 to 44 and it was only then that I started to take things seriously and joined this group, looking back over the last few months it’s now obvious that carbs in my diet are far to high and I am presently trying to adjust my intake and have just obtain a meter to help identify problems,
I have been attending a Healthier you Diabetes Prevention Program for three weeks, next week is all about nutrition so it will be interesting to see what is advised on carbs.

Well then you have still beneficially lost some weight, and you’ve now learned how to attack the hb1ac issue. Rome wasn’t built in a day.

The meter will help a lot. Do you know how to test effectively?

Sadly there’s a good chance they’ll give you the eatwell plate and tell you starchy carbs are essential :(

Reactions: Tux 56 and Prem51

silentman

Well then you have still beneficially lost some weight, and you’ve now learned how to attack the hb1ac issue. Rome wasn’t built in a day.

The meter will help a lot. Do you know how to test effectively?

Sadly there’s a good chance they’ll give you the eatwell plate and tell you starchy carbs are essential :(

Hi
Firstly thank you for your interest it’s much appreciated

Being on the program is a dilemma as it’s totally at odds with the advise given on here, it’s all centered on loosing weight and eating smaller healthier portions five a day limiting saturated fat and exercise more, i don’t need to loose any further weight but it’s a one size fits all situation. Evidently they used to carry out blood glucose testing but for some reason it’s been stopped and deemed unnecessary.

I am assuming that using the meter before and 2 hrs after meals is the way to go don’t want to become obsessed with testing just understand what foods and in what quantity I can tolerate

Reactions: Evie-D

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
Firstly thank you for your interest it’s much appreciated

Being on the program is a dilemma as it’s totally at odds with the advise given on here, it’s all centered on loosing weight and eating smaller healthier portions five a day limiting saturated fat and exercise more, i don’t need to loose any further weight but it’s a one size fits all situation. Evidently they used to carry out blood glucose testing but for some reason it’s been stopped and deemed unnecessary.

I am assuming that using the meter before and 2 hrs after meals is the way to go don’t want to become obsessed with testing just understand what foods and in what quantity I can tolerate
The program is based on standard nhs advice given to everyone regardless of health conditions. Whilst approved now by nhs low carb hasn’t filtered through to these programs yet. There is science to back up lchf and even not to worry about saturated fats the way we’ve been told told but again not filtered through and they want still more evidence. The whole premise of lose weight to control type 2 does really have answers for those that don’t need to lose weight. A definite flaw in their approach.

If you don’t need to lose weight most people on lchf adjust the fats and proteins upwards not the carbs.

Not testing blood is firstly a cost cutting exercise and secondly a lack of knowledge how the before and 2hr after can identify the effects food has. Once you’ve checked things a few times no need to keep checking the same thing repeatedly. So testing often becomes less frequent in time. Nothing obsessive about testing in this way. That’s another excuse given out along with sore fingers to not test which rarely applies and justifies their position.

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Welcome to the forum,
Well done on your weight loss, plus you have reduced you hba1c, have your other results improved?
Have you a blood monitor to test your glucose levels, this is a helpful tool, as it monitors the effects of foods on your glucose levels.
You have stated the obvious carbohydrates, does your diet contain:weetabix, porridge, cereals and high carb fruits and other veg.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Try using the resistance training machines in the gym to build muscles, as muscle are great for BG control even while you sleep. You need to do enough "reps" so you are not able to push/pull the weight without taking a rest, then move into the next machine. Choose a weight you find as hard as possible, as that way you need to do fewer reps to get the same effect.

Reactions: Umi2021

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What Does High HbA1c range means? Recently I was diagnosed with diabetes and my doctor has advised me for HbA1c test?

Hi there. You’ve replied to a very old thread. You’d likely be better off starting a new one. Shout if you need help with that. In the meantime, you might find this chart helpful.

7FD6FAB9-FA21-4B11-BB82-86076A59562C.jpeg

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Starting a new post will get you a lot more attention.

HbA1c is a blood test that gives you your average blood glucose level over the past 3 months. It gives you a better idea about what you blood sugars have been doing “long term” versus a meter reading.

This is the primary test they use to judge how your blood sugar levels are doing and to diagnose you as diabetic. I’m sure your blood glucose level was high on a blood test? to have told you that you are diabetic so he wants to know what your average has been.