Quarter of Britons drink Plant Based Milks

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
*hobbles to fridge on gammy knee*

At no point on the packaging of either of these beauties does it call them milk. The only use of the word is in the ingredients of the coconut variety where it refers to “coconut milk”, a term that’s been used pretty much since we needed to talk about the stuff contained in a coconut in the English language.

In this house, it’s just white stuff I have a splash of in tea, so it’s referred to as almond milk or if the teenager thinks it’s being amusing, nut juice ;) The coconut one makes a lovely protein shake with pea protein powder (add some cacao and almond extract and it tastes like chocolate marzipan :) )

View attachment 34394 View attachment 34395
It has coconut milk and coconut water in it so why do they have to add Natural Coconut Flavour to it, and what the heck is that? Does it have an e number?

Apparently this is what it is
“Natural flavors” usually cost more to make than “Artificial flavors”. For example, natural coconut flavoring comes from the massoya lactone chemical, found in the bark of the Massoya tree in Malaysia. Collecting the bark kills the tree, and the process is costly. But the massoya lactone chemical can also be synthesized economically in a food laboratory. It has no e number because it is not an officially recognised food additive. The word Natural is a lie, it is synthesised in a vat.

The calcium phosphate is also added, so is probably chemically produced, Could be mono-, di- tri- or octo- phosphate but it does not state which. In animal milk the calcium is in colloidal solution which is much more readily taken up by the body, and the colloidal suspension also has magnesium, zinc, and citric acid which are also helpful minerals that the plant milks are devoid of.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Just back from work and in the aisle I had to get today's event items from I saw this, anyone tried it ?

DSC_0806.JPG

Last edited:

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
And? Surely, choice is a good thing?
The article does not suggest there is any pressure to drink non-dairy milk.
This was not my sentiment, the choice being a good thing can be taken at face value.

The fact remains though that if parents understood that 2% was not good, I feel sure they would adjust their choice.

Reactions: lucylocket61

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
So is my insulin. As is the Quorn I rely on for protein. I’m not frightened by putting things in my body that haven’t been made by an animal - in many cases it’s just what I need to keep myself fed and healthy :)

“Chemical” isn’t a dirty word.

Yep - without chemicals I'd have been dead a long, long time ago.

I use wholefoods as far as I can but I make my tofu with wholebean soy milk, for instance, and I'm quite happy to buy a product that offers a huge time saving. I could make the soy milk I use from the actual beans, but what a pain when it can be bought. Bought products can be a huge help.

Last edited:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So is my insulin. As is the Quorn I rely on for protein. I’m not frightened by putting things in my body that haven’t been made by an animal - in many cases it’s just what I need to keep myself fed and healthy :)

“Chemical” isn’t a dirty word.
I read the point as being its not a naturally occurring product, not that anyone is saying chemicals are bad. Certain foods are marketed for their naturalness. Sometimes we need to dig deeper to check out some of the claims and sources of ingredients

Reactions: jjraak

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I read the point as being its not a naturally occurring product, not that anyone is saying chemicals are bad. Certain foods are marketed for their naturalness. Sometimes we need to dig deeper to check out some of the claims and sources of ingredients
Thing is, deadly nightshade and arsenic are natural. As is botulism... we need to move away from natural being equated with healthy, it’s just another cynical marketing ploy.

Reactions: jjraak
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thing is, deadly nightshade and arsenic are natural. As is botulism... we need to move away from natural being equated with healthy, it’s just another cynical marketing ploy.

I never even thought of those :wideyed:

Reactions: WuTwo

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Indeed.

Struggling to see how the thread fits into the "diabetes news and research" category when the underlying article says zilch about diabetes, although there have been some thoughtful comments on bolusing techniques for various types of milk.

I'll post tomorrow about crisps: 25g Walkers Deep Ridged are pretty good for levelling out a slow basal drop, and 20g M&S mango chutney mini-poppadoms can be remarkably stabilising.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Indeed.

Struggling to see how the thread fits into the "diabetes news and research" category when the underlying article says zilch about diabetes, although there have been some thoughtful comments on bolusing techniques for various types of milk.

I'll post tomorrow about crisps: 25g Walkers Deep Ridged are pretty good for levelling out a slow basal drop, and 20g M&S mango chutney mini-poppadoms can be remarkably stabilising.
It was discussed on a BBC News TV program, Many diabetics are changing to use plant based diets, so it is not irrelevant to the Forum. I see you are a T1D so it is probably of less interest to you, but that is no reason to use pedantics to stop a thread that is providing information to the members here. If it is of no interest to you then please find another one that is more suited to your needs,.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a diet controlled T2. All discussions of foods and drinks are of interest to me. And those not directed specifically as relating to Diabetes, of any type, are general posts. Hence being in General Chat. I never know how and what foods and drinks are going to spike me, so any and all information is welcome by me to further my knowledge, and highlight any possible changes and/or pitfalls as nutrition globally develops and new products come on the market.

Reactions: Speedbird