British Dietetic Association Policy Statement re Low Carb Diets in Management of Type 2 Diabetes

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
oh dear rant on again// they should involve us, we are doing experiments on ourselves because they won't, doesn't that make us an amazing scientific resource? //rant off
Been trying to garnish support for this approach over the last few months. I am working on a document in the background and will copy you in for comment amongst others.

Reactions: HSSS

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rant on // I understand risk, it's risky to say "eat saturated fat, don't eat carbs" when we don't know what will happen in the long term or possibly medium term, I get that. But there's another risk, what if promoting low fat, high carb is actually making me sick, right now. I can't wait for these people to feel OK with change, I have to do something for me, informed, as best is possible I hope, today, not when they feel it's "valid". Also they should be listening, they are not the boss of me and it's not happening to them. rant off//
But we do, first nations have eaten like this forever, in the UK if you are around 35 - 55 and have either elderly , grand parents or parents, they will remember Meat and 2 Veg days, which was close enough to LCHF (stuff like liver and bacon, mash, steak and kidney pie, cheap cuts of meat, fish etc - it wasn't that long ago. If you watch Rick Steins food programs you can see right now (loads on catch-up) how people in the med really eat, places like the Croatian mountains, Argentina Gauchos, Hong Kong population, there are so many. And right in front of you, on this site, diet doctor there are a ton of people eating exactly as you have described for up to 20 years (Eric Westman and some of his patients). There were loads of Atkins people, obviously many would not have stuck to the diet.

I will politely not take lessons from anyone in the BDA, no matter what their number count or qualifications.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry, I didn't see any reference to management of type 2 diabetes.
Correct the MOU only references medical uses, not any specific conditions

There is a subgroup in the BDA who have taken on the diabetes diet challenge
https://freelancedietitians.org/tag/vegan-diet-and-type-1-diabetes/

Note it is for T1D

In fact a search through the BDA Fact sheet list shows that Diabetes Type 2 is only covered in the Welsh language, and there is no fact sheet in english. There is also only a welsh fact sheet for Type 1 diabetes listed under their medical section.

The BDA are also members of SUSTAIN, which is advising the Government on sustainable food sourcing. SUSTAIN are funded by the Labour Party

So yes I am off topic. Sorry, BDA do not seem to be inrerested in Diabetes in England, but are teamed up with SACN and NICE to formulate Eatwell #3

But 4 days ago BDA did provide support the the DCUK Low Carb Programme, but with some reservatons expressed and answered by DM the parent company of this site.
https://diabetestimes.co.uk/bda-supports-low-carb-program-app-following-positive-review/

Edited to remove reference to labour funding the BDA. It was the projected costing for the Healthy Start voucher initiative and is not yet in place.

Last edited:

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Correct the MOU only references medical uses, not any specific conditions

There is a subgroup in the BDA who have taken on the diabetes diet challenge
https://freelancedietitians.org/tag/vegan-diet-and-type-1-diabetes/

Note it is for T1D

In fact a search through the BDA Fact sheet list shows that Diabetes Type 2 is only covered in the Welsh language, and there is no fact sheet in english. There is also only a welsh fact sheet for Type 1 diabetes listed under their medical section.

The BDA are also members of SUSTAIN, which is advising the Government on sustainable food sourcing. SUSTAIN are funded by the Labour Party to the tune of £28m in the current year and forms part of their Green Deal initiative.

So yes I am off topic. Sorry, BDA do not seem to be inrerested in Diabetes in England, but are teamed up with SACN and NICE to formulate Eatwell #3

But 4 days ago BDA did provide support the the DCUK Low Carb Programme, but with some reservatons expressed and answered by DM the parent company of this site.
https://diabetestimes.co.uk/bda-supports-low-carb-program-app-following-positive-review/
Wow, you are so impressive. On my PC right now I have a tab open on Sustain's website
Your level of detailed research is breath taking, thank you.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The BDA has commented on the new government initiative to revise the Eatwell Diet, but again no mention of Diabetes. The closing line of their statement mentions health environmental and economic considerations of the new diet.
https://www.bda.uk.com/news/view?id=245&x[0]=news/list

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It would be interesting to see the conclusion on all result done with the studies. I think it I'll be some bias, plus too many variables for complete in-depth studies.
The study I follow was a meta study where they analysed many published studies from different sources,so bypassing the problem of bias there. But there could be bias in the way the analysis was carried out. Certainly the statistical methods used prior to 2006 have been shown to be open to bias and misrepresentation and so since that date any study presented for archiving has to use an approved statistical methodology to reduce data massaging. Also such studies must be independently reviewed. However recently we have seen that it does not cover epidemiological studies (prospect studies) since these should not be used as proof of cause. But the media is now accepting prospect studies as statements of fact, hence my signature.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I expect nothing will change.

Carry on.

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My main concerns would be the in-depth detail. Researchers classification of low carb and such and reliant of the honesty and integragation of those participating in the study of long term, which would skew the results.

For example the twin Dr's put to test "low carb/high fat v high carb.
The one who did the high fat lo carb, was mainly dining in the American fast food diners, consuming high carb foods, which just happen to be high fat. We all know how high carb these food are, breaded chicken, onion rings.

Even before the blood results came in, they would be deranged.

Last edited:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My main concerns would be the in-depth detail. Researchers classification of low carb and such and reliant of the honesty and integragation of those participating in the study of long term, which would skew the results.

For example the twin Dr's put to test "low carb/high fat v high carb.
The one who did the high fat lo carb, was mainly dining in the American fast food diners, consuming high carb foods, which just happen to be high fat. We all know how high carb these food are, breaded chicken, onion rings.

Even before the blood results came in, they would be deranged.
Which study are you referencing here? Do you have a link to their report? I doubt the BDA would be reliant on just one study, to produce their guidelines as stated in the original OP link.

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It was not a study per se, it was for T.V trying to prove that diets are not what they are
Just checked, I can't do links.

Sugar v fats, twin doctors.from the BBC. If you Google it, it will come up.they did it for a month

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was not a study per se, it was for T.V trying to prove that diets are not what they are
Just checked, I can't do links.

Sugar v fats, twin doctors.from the BBC. If you Google it, it will come up.they did it for a month
Probably Trust Me Im a Doctor with Michael Mosley. Or one of the other spin offs.
I would count that as a docudrama in that it was playing to the cameras for entertainment and mildly thought provoking, but not a scientific study in any serious sense of the word, It was an introduction for the general public, but not proving anything. There are other recent reports issued that looked at properly conducted trials that can be used to back up claims being made, but as with everything they too can be badly executed and not be much use either.

Somewhee in this forum there is a thread that discusses those programs in more detail, and they may help the understanding behind the program. If you are interested in Low Carb as a possible means of controlling blood sugar then there is a specific thread in the Diets section. There are also the success stories and testimonials section too. I wonder if the BDA read those too?