Developing Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes

Porter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars
I was diagnosed as Type 2 in 2003 at the age of 33. At the same time it was also discovered I also had Hyperthyroidism. Type 2 was treated with Metformin / Sukkarto & Sitagliptin for 15 years with excellent Hb1ac. Thyroid was treated and changed to Hypothyroidism. In January 2019 my sugars suddenly soared to an daily average of 19 mmol/L. Upon blood test it was found I had developed Type 1 (sever levels of antibodies detected). I am now on Insulin. I was wondering if there were other people who have experienced a similar situation.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've always been an overfed child; now adult but now recovering from bariatric surgery to stop the constant hunger from excessive carbs and even Protein. Oh and insulin.
I was diagnosed type2 at 32 yrs old even though I had diabetic symptoms at 6yrs old. I craved mackerel and heavy protein more than carbs. I was extremely muscular but fat on top of it. I'm now wondering if my diet stopped me being diagnosed earlier. I've had problems with bells palsy, underactive thyroid but a burst appendix was the most death threatening.
Ive read all can be linked to autoimmune issues. I'm currently having high prolactin showing in my blood. Which I'm wondering if that which has me looking pregnant even though I'm definitely not. My endo is due to investigate if its longstanding but more importantly checking me for type1. As I cannot even now exist without both insulins. I'm currently on ice cube portions of food.
Many hv said I should be tested so I'm going to insist.
If I wasn't severely overweight I wouldn't have hesitated so long.
So I'm either an overweight type2 because I no longer make my own insulin I need injections (no meds not even metformin work for me anymore, Dapagliflozin and milkshakes on 800cals hba1c was highest I've had for a long time.)
OR
an overweight type1 whose low carb, low calorie and intensive fitness prevented an irregular hba1c. Til I was tested at a time which showed my irregular insulin function. I used to eat a lot of protein.
Now my food is severely reduced I'm losing weight due to hugely far less insulin units.
My last months blood test showed very high hba1c on reduced calorie eating but not reduced sugar. The milkshakes were high in sugar, I was taking IBS tablets which are sugar coated. I would hv been far heavier for my op and never approved.
Ive always been referred as a type2 so I'd be shocked if tests come back as a type1 though. My best friend I higher education was a type1 and we all know its not contagious.

Reactions: Porter

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed as Type 2 in 2003 at the age of 33. At the same time it was also discovered I also had Hyperthyroidism. Type 2 was treated with Metformin / Sukkarto & Sitagliptin for 15 years with excellent Hb1ac. Thyroid was treated and changed to Hypothyroidism. In January 2019 my sugars suddenly soared to an daily average of 19 mmol/L. Upon blood test it was found I had developed Type 1 (sever levels of antibodies detected). I am now on Insulin. I was wondering if there were other people who have experienced a similar situation.

Hi Porter - Were you tested for T1 in 2003? Didi you carry any extra weight at that time?

Misdiagnosis (in both directions, although more commonly as T2, when in fact late onset, slow developing T1), is disappointingly common these days. We see a steady flow of folks diagnosed T2 (in particular), who struggle on, doing their best to contain their condition, whilst ending up on an escalating package on medications, before the relevant tests are conducted.

Sometimes those folks are atypical for T2 - younger, slighter, and some are abetter fit to the percived typical T2 - a bit older, carrying some excess weight. Those being misdiagnosed T1, when in fact they transpire more likely to be T2 are very usually younger on outset, although I know of at least one, who transpired to be T2 in her 60s.

The most common cause of hyperthyroidism is an autoimmune (AI) reaction. Once an individual has one AI, they are statistically more likely to develop more, such as T1.

Now you have re-diagnosed, have you started on insulin therapy? Many forld who end up reclassified find they feel so much better once they start on the proper treatment for their condition.

Really good luck with it all. It sounds like you've had a rough ride.

Reactions: ert

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I think @Marie 2 has a similar story of misdiagnosis.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Porter I was misdiagnosed as a type 2 for over 9 years, I was just writing the story on the thread that @Diakat just listed the link for. Misdiagnosed Stories.

As an LADA it is very slow developing and people can go years before fully becoming a type 1. I believe you could have type 2 then get type 1, but if you were a type 2 you would be insulin resistant, a type 1 could be, but normally isn't. But so many of us are misdiagnosed because it is so slow progressing and often mistaken as a type 2.

Porter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars
Thanks for the responses. Prior to diagnosis in 2003, I at 6ft weighed 16.5 Stones with regular weight training. Then I suddenly lost 3 stones in 2 weeks along with all the symptoms of Diabetes. At that time I was diagnosed as Type 2. My sugars immediately returned to normal levels with the use of Metformin and change in diet. My weight stabilised at 14.5 stones. My Doctor is puzzled as to why 15 years after successful treatment Type 1 has now developed. I am now back to 16.5 stones though see a water retention about my ankles.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there medical reason why a type 2 can’t develop type 1?

As I understand it the causes are different and despite quite possibly over producing insulin as a type 2 for many years could the event (virus, genetic inheritance etc) that instigates an autoimmune type 1 loss of insulin not still occur at some point?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I personally do not see any obvious reason why a person with T2 cannot be subject to an autoimmune attack on their pancreatic beta cells this is not T2 changing into T1 but the development of an entirely new condition.

Reactions: CondorX and Porter

Porter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars
Hi Porter - Were you tested for T1 in 2003? Didi you carry any extra weight at that time?

Misdiagnosis (in both directions, although more commonly as T2, when in fact late onset, slow developing T1), is disappointingly common these days. We see a steady flow of folks diagnosed T2 (in particular), who struggle on, doing their best to contain their condition, whilst ending up on an escalating package on medications, before the relevant tests are conducted.

Sometimes those folks are atypical for T2 - younger, slighter, and some are abetter fit to the percived typical T2 - a bit older, carrying some excess weight. Those being misdiagnosed T1, when in fact they transpire more likely to be T2 are very usually younger on outset, although I know of at least one, who transpired to be T2 in her 60s.

The most common cause of hyperthyroidism is an autoimmune (AI) reaction. Once an individual has one AI, they are statistically more likely to develop more, such as T1.

Now you have re-diagnosed, have you started on insulin therapy? Many forld who end up reclassified find they feel so much better once they start on the proper treatment for their condition.

Really good luck with it all. It sounds like you've had a rough ride.

As I understand it the causes are different and despite quite possibly over producing insulin as a type 2 for many years could the event (virus, genetic inheritance etc) that instigates an autoimmune type 1 loss of insulin not still occur at some point?

I am no Doctor or Scientist. I guess if would be like a car not running properly because of an electrical fault or fuel fault. Two unrelated fault types resulting in similar symptoms and problems :)

Reactions: Marie 2 and CondorX

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a doctor but not an endocrinologist - it certainly is possible to develop the two conditions independently of each other. There may be a link to some pancreatic pathology although the autoimmunity issue is more likely -just an opinion.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting

The connection is that both appear to be caused by your immune system.
The most common cause of hypothyroidism is an autoimmune disease. Hypothyroidism causes many metabolic abnormalities with some studies suggesting that blood sugar may be affected in hypothyroidism and levels may increase, which causes diabetes. Your recent antibodies support that immune system decided to attack your pancreas.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found something natural since I did not want to take Metformin. It's called CuraLin.
A friend recommended it to me and it has been a great solution for me and it is also completely natural. It might be a good fit for you since it is for all people who suffer from high glucose levels no just type 2.

Hi @Ya Sham

We've had a few threads discussing Curalin which you may find interesting to read.
Here are some of the links, but you can find more by typing 'curalin' into the search button on the top right of your screen. :)

Rather than derail this thread, you might want to reopen one of these threads to discuss Curalin.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/natural-herbal-supplement.144519/

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/curalin.157974/

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/more-snake-oil.162377/#post-2009599