Putting the MeatFree burger to the test

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On the BBC today, an informal review by two reporters on an Impossible Burger

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/business-49046882/would-this-burger-tempt-you-to-eat-meat

According to CEO interview they have created heme iron by genetically modifying yeast. This is scary since what they are doing is genetically changing microbes in algae in a large scale industrial process. No mention of what controls are in place to ensure there are no rogue modifications happening. GMO scares me rigid. I thought GMO was restricted in the UK to experimental sites under strict controls, so how come these are freely on sale in the UK?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
For balance, and just out of interest I would like to try to understand something about beef burgers in general.

My daughter was ravenous after a 2 hour football session Friday gone. She eats around 95% the same why as I do, so we stopped off at Sainbury's for some ready cooked chicken legs, which she had with cheese at home.

I wanted to get her something quick to turn around, so whilst in the supermarket I looked at the beef burgers, but could not see what the rusk content was, any other fillers etc. Is there like a standard formula for making beef burgers, e.g. 5 % fillers etc, binding agents, meat glue and the like in the UK. Is there a minimum amount of beef to have in place, I can't even think about burgers from portal outlets like at football events, after my dirty Keto experiment with one of the top fast food providers, where I just ate what they describe as a burger.

I am shocked about the GMO get around, if I played the same trick with my taxes, we all know what would happen.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For balance, and just out of interest I would like to try to understand something about beef burgers in general.

My daughter was ravenous after a 2 hour football session Friday gone. She eats around 95% the same why as I do, so we stopped off at Sainbury's for some ready cooked chicken legs, which she had with cheese at home.

I wanted to get her something quick to turn around, so whilst in the supermarket I looked at the beef burgers, but could not see what the rusk content was, any other fillers etc. Is there like a standard formula for making beef burgers, e.g. 5 % fillers etc, binding agents, meat glue and the like in the UK. Is there a minimum amount of beef to have in place, I can't even think about burgers from portal outlets like at football events, after my dirty Keto experiment with one of the top fast food providers, where I just ate what they describe as a burger.

I am shocked about the GMO get around, if I played the same trick with my taxes, we all know what would happen.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21059425

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

It should be specified on the packaging. I tend to buy steak burgers which are 95% meat. I do the same with sausages.

Reactions: jjraak

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
It should be specified on the packaging. I tend to buy steak burgers which are 95% meat. I do the same with sausages.
Thanks, can I ask from where. We usually get all our stuff from the local famer, but if we haven't planned and it is still frozen (trying to not use the microwave), we can be caught short, so would be good to have a plan B; I have got myself a pattie maker, as I like the idea of making my own also.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
as I like the idea of making my own also.
I make my own just beef with some salt and pepper, sometimes with extra chopped up cooked bacon if there is any in the fridge.. hand shaped. They seem to hold together fine like that.. then pan fry.
Bacon wrapped meat loaf is good to have around too..just slice some off when hungry and have it cold.

Reactions: Mbaker

Dark Horse

So they get round the regs by having heme produced in this way classified as a colouring agent so it is no longer considered nutritional.
I think you have misunderstood. They, themselves, say that the way heme is currently being used would not qualify it as a colour additive. However, in the future there might be other products in which it could be used as a colour additive so they are trying to get approval for that use just in case.
https://www.foodnavigator-usa.com/A...centrate-in-its-plant-based-Impossible-burger

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Tophat1900 I had a run in with a vegan friendly pasty yesterday, and still recovering from it this morning. I have no desire to try any fake meat product synthesised by man i,e, artificial and industrially processed. I had enough experience with TVP and Quorn to put me off.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I make my own just beef with some salt and pepper, sometimes with extra chopped up cooked bacon if there is any in the fridge.. hand shaped. They seem to hold together fine like that.. then pan fry.
Bacon wrapped meat loaf is good to have around too..just slice some off when hungry and have it cold.

Prefer to talk meatfree to keep on topic, please

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
@Tophat1900 I had a run in with a vegan friendly pasty yesterday, and still recovering from it this morning. I have no desire to try any fake meat product synthesised by man i,e, artificial and industrially processed. I had enough experience with TVP and Quorn to put me off.

Well, I would of been shocked if you did. You can count me out also, for the same reasons.I'm not a supporter of fake food in any form. I did recently see them being offered at a burger place here in Australia. First time I have seen being offered.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey why has this thread been moved? Quality of food is of great importance to T2s? I only found this again because I was looking for the footie thread.

The thread was moved because the OP, while doubtless of interest and importance to many with diabetes, it is not specifically diabetes related.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As OP I ask that we continue to discuss the safety and nutritional issues that were surfacing since this is an important aspect of our future safety when Eatwell #3 hits us.

Post edited by moderator to remove reference to previously edited post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: zand

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Several posts on this thread have been edited or deleted because they were either derailing, criticising moderation activity or contributing to a ‘them and us’ mentality.

Where relevant, warnings have been issued.

Any further posts in breach of the forum rules will also be deleted and thread bans may be incurred.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After consideration by the moderation team, this thread has been moved to the ‘Food, nutrition and recipes’ section of the forum so that it may more easily be found by interested members.